• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Launches New 8K-Ready A/V Receiver Lineup

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, four fans under the heatsinks!

070720.Marantz-SR-AVR-inside.jpg

Wonder if it will start to levitate if it gets too hot. :D

3dbinCanada

I think they are doing this to make it idiot proof for those who dont understand airflow requirements.

jomark911

Point is they rarely get switched on. Actually they never do , no matter how hot the amp is running.
Probably they (Marantz-denon) installed those as the last resort , if anything else fails. Where it should be exactly the opposite, like having fans run from low to med to higher and lastly HIGH rpm's if the amp keeps getting hotter and hotter. Then lastly have it thermally protected by shutting it down.
I don't really understand why they are doing this. It won't be that noisy , after all what we want is cool or medium temped electronics . Not heated up to charbroiling temps.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't really understand why they are doing this.
It is part of UL safety requirement where the stress the unit (1/8th power, all channels driven) and measure the temperature rise. If too high, they consider it risk of fire and won't certify it. So likely that is the condition that forces the fan on.

I wish they would have a "cool" setting in the firmware to have them run in very slow speed. The operating temperatures are way too high for my comfort and long term life the units.

jomark911

Well from my knowledge , they did not do this with the AVP A1HD or the POA A1HD. Well fans on POA A1 start a bit late but they never let the amps get higher temps than 60celcius. They kick in at 60c at the heatsink and they go up in terms of reving as the temps go up. Finally if the temps are still rising amp shuts down.
On the other hand on the AVP the fan starts at the power on at low rpm's and if needed get's reved up.
I know different times different calls.

3dbinCanada

It is part of UL safety requirement where the stress the unit (1/8th power, all channels driven) and measure the temperature rise. If too high, they consider it risk of fire and won't certify it. So likely that is the condition that forces the fan on.

I wish they would have a "cool" setting in the firmware to have them run in very slow speed. The operating temperatures are way too high for my comfort and long term life the units.

If you are asking for a slow fan speed, why are you concerned about the temperatures are way too high? Have you measured the temperatures during operation?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you are asking for a slow fan speed, why are you concerned about the temperatures are way too high? Have you measured the temperatures during operation?
Simple rule of electronics is that if you put your hand on the gear and it is uncomfortable, it is running too warm. This is the case with the Denon and Marantz equipment I have tested recently. Just a slow blow of the fan will bring temps down substantially.

3dbinCanada

Simple rule of electronics is that if you put your hand on the gear and it is uncomfortable, it is running too warm. This is the case with the Denon and Marantz equipment I have tested recently. Just a slow blow of the fan will bring temps down substantially.

Doesn't it also depend on how much free air space you give it? Maybe the fans are only required when this unit starts to push out high volumes but remains cool enough provided enough free air airflow. The more free air access, the better the thermal conduction. I had a Technics DX-930 5.1AVR. It had a class G amp topology,with a fan in the back of the unit. It got uncomfortably warm during high 70s low 80 db and the fan would engage when pushing for more SPL. I know heat is the enemy of electronics butI had this unit for 7 years and it never showed any problems.

krizvi786

how about with the amps off, just using it As a processor. Is heat still an issue then?

thanks

gtoblerone

@amirm - With an LGC9OLED77 setup, with Kef Q750 floorstanding, Q650 center channel, Q150 rears, with Onkyo Atmos, and the plan to add more speakers, would you target the AVRX4700H or go with the SR7015? Or go with 3700H? Your help is appreciated

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why not just put decent exterior heatsinks down the sides and forget the fans altogther. It's a really poor design choice, four fans, tiny and inadequate heat sinks for all those amplifiers.

Wonder if it will start to levitate if it gets too hot.

Ah, that's it. It morphs into an 8K-ready AVR WiFi drone with universal remote, like one of those transformer cartoons.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Anyone else remember this old 'rule':
'For every 10-degree C rise in operating temperature, component life is halved"..

Starting at 105, if I remember correctly...maybe 85...

jomark911

Why not just put decent exterior heatsinks down the sides and forget the fans altogther. It's a really poor design choice, four fans, tiny and inadequate heat sinks for all those amplifiers.

Ah, that's it. It morphs into an 8K-ready AVR WiFi drone with universal remote, like one of those transformer cartoons.

John it would cost them way too much for the larger heat sinks along the side. I would say even 10 times the cost of the heat sinks they are using now.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D amps? If not, why the reluctance to use these in those AVRs?

Top Bottom