• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 70s as a pre-pro

Averywhite

Hello all. Like the OP, I bought a C70s for use as a home theater pre-amp. As of right now I'm only using it in a 2.1 configuration until I get the rest of the room setup, but I noticed that the RCA jacks in the back seem.... cheap-ish (compared to my Pioneer Elite thats 20+ years old). I'm using BJC L/R RCA cables and I noticed that these cables (which are rather robust) are providing a fair bit of strain on the rear RCA jacks. Seeing this, I made a little "support hammock" so I don't damage the unit. Is anyone else running into this problem with these units? I can't be the only one that uses BJC :cool:

Thank you!

IMG_5585.jpeg
IMG_5573.jpeg

jhonny

Some measurements:

It seems that they are not bad. What do you think about Marantz agains something like nad c700?

Ykar

Sharing my poor man's measurements (Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 + homemade resistive load for speaker out)
I would think the pre-amp is probably good, DAC is probably not so bad (PCM5102), while amplifier seems scary (and impact of eco mode seems significant...)
Bad surprise to me is that Pure Direct mode doesn't bypass all processing when going through the internal DAC : speaker distance remains active and messes up with stereo perception if Left and Right speakers are not set to the same distance value... Analog input not affected thankfully (no DAC/ADC conversion I guess)

WiimPro pre-out > M70s CD in (analog) Pure Direct > M70s pre-out (so Wiim's DAC + M70s preamp + Scarlett's ADC) :
20230601-WiimProLineOutM70sPreOut.jpg

WiimPro Optical out > M70s optical in >M70s pre-out Pure direct (so M70s DAC and preamp + Scarlett ADC) :

20230601-WiimProOpticalM70sPreOut.jpg

WiimPro optical out > ToppingE70v RCA out > M70s CD in > M70s speaker out Pure direct, Volume level "50", so just below level where the M70 automatically deactivate eco mode :
2023 06 06-WiimProE70vRcaM70sVol50.jpg

Exact same but with volume to 50.5 (auto eco mode turned off) :
2023 06 06-WiimProE70vRcaM70sVol50.5.jpg

And for comparison, WiimPro > E70v > CDin M70s Pre-out Pure direct > Topping PA7 Spkr out:

2023 06 06-WiimProE70vXlrTopPA7Droite 2.jpg

Last edited:

Owisun

Hi, I'm planning to buy this Marantz and use it pre-out with rotel rb-1552 stereo power amplifier and little later adding eversolo dmp a6 streamer going analog into Marantz!
I wondering if doing so I can send unaltered signal from the external streamer/dac - Marantz - Rotel power amp and get a better stereo sound ?
• Is this a solution ?

I can keep it for souround experience but if I want or have better external dac Marantz dac/amp sections is not standing in the way !?
Please help and correct me if I'm rong here ! Thank you

tc2007

Hi, I'm planning to buy this Marantz and use it pre-out with rotel rb-1552 stereo power amplifier and little later adding eversolo dmp a6 streamer going analog into Marantz!
I wondering if doing so I can send unaltered signal from the external streamer/dac - Marantz - Rotel power amp and get a better stereo sound ?
• Is this a solution ?

I can keep it for souround experience but if I want or have better external dac Marantz dac/amp sections is not standing in the way !?
Please help and correct me if I'm rong here ! Thank you
If you use the Pure Direct mode then yes the analog input should go unprocessed all the way. Otherwise it usually gets DSP'ed for crossover and other processing. If you want pure analog all the time then the Emotiva PT2 or PT1 are good pre-amps. There is Parasound NewEra 200 Pre.

Emotiva also has TA1 / TA2 with built in analogue HPF all analogue circuitry with a built in amp.

OP
M

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sharing my poor man's measurements (Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 + homemade resistive load for speaker out)
I would think the pre-amp is probably good, DAC is probably not so bad (PCM5102), while amplifier seems scary (and impact of eco mode seems significant...)
Bad surprise to me is that Pure Direct mode doesn't bypass all processing when going through the internal DAC : speaker distance remains active and messes up with stereo perception if Left and Right speakers are not set to the same distance value... Analog input not affected thankfully (no DAC/ADC conversion I guess)
Thanks for the amazing measurements @Ykar ! The amp performance is genuinely terrible but not unexpected. The 70s is really a pre-pro in disguise. I'd be happy to run surround channels for family movie watching from it, but LCR definitely needs external amplification.

Itisawesome

I wouldn't worry about HDAM, that's just a marketing gimmick and they often measure worse than normal op-amps. XT32 unfortunately only comes with high end receivers, regardless of brand. I guess the licensing fees must be high?
Not true for example in AV10 as it ‘measures’ very very well

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not true for example in AV10 as it ‘measures’ very very well

Hard to say, if they didn't add the HDAMs, it might have measured better (in theory, that is, both logically, and electrical theories):) it should, no one has proved it otherwise), but as it is the measurements are excellent already so it is a moot point. Models below the AV10 and SR8015 may not do so well because they don't have the improved HDAM modules and the implementation may not be as good either. The thing is, with better modules and implementation, it is possible to add such extra buffers without adding (okay may be a little) measurable distortions+noise, so the HDAMs could become useful in some applications.

Norn Iron

Apologies for not registering sooner.
This thread is just what I need. I am in a dilemma! Having been born with an Arcam spoon in my mouth, I have got to the point where the Arcam AVR400 needs upgrading. I have tried the AVR390 in my system which was better but it had a fault so went back. I listen to a lot of 2 channel for music and plenty of films/tv in surround.
Yesterday, I went to the only shop within 60 mile radius that has a demo room. I took with me my Arcam P90 power amp. The difference between using all the Marantz Cinema 60 7.1.2 amps and then using my P90 for L +R was more than just noticeable. In 2 channel mode for music, the C60 sounded less dynamic, almost pedestrian and definitely muddled in mid range. If following a bass line, yes it was all there but sound wise, the P90 showed how it should be done. The same for playing Abbey Road in 5.1. Using the P90 just lifted everything.
I am swaying to the idea that maybe the Marantz is the way to go but use another old Arcam amp I have to power the Centre (I'm British hence the correct spelling-lol) - something I have done before and it worked very well.
With all of the above in mind, and now that a few months have past, is the Marantz still a great idea purely as a Pre-Pro? Is the C70 as good as the C60? What would you buy if you had to buy again?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With all of the above in mind, and now that a few months have past, is the Marantz still a great idea purely as a Pre-Pro? Is the C70 as good as the C60? What would you buy if you had to buy again?
If it has all the features you need, then I would say it is as good, may even be better because it does not have HDAMs that bound to add distortions though it would be so insignificant that it won't make any audible difference. It boils down to how much money you can save going with the C70, if it is only a couple hundred dollars then the C60 does offer the flexibility that it could probably drive some surround/height speakers if the need arises. The C70's 50 W 8 ohm is okay for small rooms near field, or desktop applications.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I´m biased towards Marantz because that´s what I currently use (in the past I used Denon gear), and I like the environment (menus, configuration settings, EQ...). If I had to upgrade, I´d probably stay Marantz (or Denon) because:
-I like the remote control APP.
-I can upgrade to Dirac if Audyssey feels lacking.
-HDMI 2.1 full bandwidth (I play on PC).
-4 subwoofer jacks.

Performance-wise, however, I´d jump to the Cinema50 for the above reasons.

Toasted

Such a shame they gimped this product by not giving it XT32 or even XT. Else it would be the ultimate budge pre-pro.

tc2007

If they make it too nice it cannibalizes their own products.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Products could be separated according to #channels and power. The software-based features could be upgradable options. Include simplest solution in the cheapest/smallest units and allow to purchase upgrades. They can make money on that as well without affecting their larger units.

Top Bottom