• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 - Pre Out

Hello,
It’s possible to use on a 7.1.4 configuration the pre-Out for the front Left/center/Right Chanels ?
It’s seems that I can only use the left and right chanel or the Heights chanels when the 11.1 Chanels configuration is selected.

The use of the pre-outs are related with the type of configuration?…not including the use of All the pre-outs over the internal amplification.

Thank you!

Regards from Portugal

Cláudio Nogueira

Attachments

• AEC13EAB-4241-45CA-AC6F-63685C60130E.jpeg
    AEC13EAB-4241-45CA-AC6F-63685C60130E.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 42F621E4-58FE-4812-8852-C8FECCF7CB96.jpeg
    42F621E4-58FE-4812-8852-C8FECCF7CB96.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 6A845415-DCD6-464C-8E9D-71AFF7AFB856.jpeg
    6A845415-DCD6-464C-8E9D-71AFF7AFB856.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 285

Golfx

Forum Donor
Hi. You will be fine to use preouts for LCR either way—page 227 gives more information about shutting off individual affected center internal amp—not using amp assign. As you know the AVR only has 9 channels powered but allows preouts for 11 meaning you will have to use an external amp for two. You can proceed using the manual guide for 11.1 including using the external amp assign setting to select the external amp for front LR. I “believe” that means that all 9 of your internal amps can then be used to complete your bed layer AND then including height 2. The fact that you want to also use an external amp for the center channel is a separate issue covered by page 227. I think that is pretty convenient arrangement.

OP
C
Hi. You will be fine to use preouts for LCR either way—page 227 gives more information about shutting off individual affected center internal amp—not using amp assign. As you know the AVR only has 9 channels powered but allows preouts for 11 meaning you will have to use an external amp for two. You can proceed using the manual guide for 11.1 including using the external amp assign setting to select the external amp for front LR. I “believe” that means that all 9 of your internal amps can then be used to complete your bed layer AND then including height 2. The fact that you want to also use an external amp for the center channel is a separate issue covered by page 227. I think that is pretty convenient arrangement.
Hello!

First of All, Thank you for your time and help.

My end goal is use all the pre-outs.

For now I was planning buy the Marantz Cinema 50 with the Marantz MM8077.

With this “pair” use a configuration of 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos where the LCR chanels would be powered by the MM8077.
I read on the web Manual of the Marantz that was possible to configure Chanel by Chanel ( page 227 ).Then i saw the page in attachment. I was confused…I am

So… It’s possible to follow my intermediate goal of using the pre-outs for some specific chanels?

Regards,

Cláudio Nogueira

Attachments

• E5679831-8636-433F-AEFC-C50C722FAE17.jpeg
    E5679831-8636-433F-AEFC-C50C722FAE17.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 250

Golfx

Forum Donor
Hello!

First of All, Thank you for your time and help.

My end goal is use all the pre-outs.

For now I was planning buy the Marantz Cinema 50 with the Marantz MM8077.

With this “pair” use a configuration of 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos where the LCR chanels would be powered by the MM8077.
I read on the web Manual of the Marantz that was possible to configure Chanel by Chanel ( page 227 ).Then i saw the page in attachment. I was confused…I am

So… It’s possible to follow my intermediate goal of using the pre-outs for some specific chanels?

Regards,

Cláudio Nogueira
Yes you can use the pre-outs for some specific channels. All the pre-outs are always “live” regardless and can be used even if you do NOT shut off power to the internal amps. The concept of allowing the power to be shutoff to the internal amp may reduce heat somewhat and “may” allow for improved sound signal—although it would likely be inaudible. It is still a nice new feature.

OP
C
Yes you can use the pre-outs for some specific channels. All the pre-outs are always “live” regardless and can be used even if you do NOT shut off power to the internal amps. The concept of allowing the power to be shutoff to the internal amp may reduce heat somewhat and “may” allow for improved sound signal—although it would likely be inaudible. It is still a nice new feature.
Hello!

Thank you for your Time and attention.
A “different” scenario:

I have a room with 20m2 / 215.28 ft2.This room have accoustic treatment.

The main Speakers will be the focal 926 ( L/R - 91.5db Sensibility - Recomended Amplifier: 40w to 250w) and the Focal Aria CC90 ( C - Sensibility 91db - Recomended Amplifier: 40w to 200w).

The Surround Speakers ( 4 ) are the Chora Surrounds ( Sensibility - 89db - Recomended amplifier: 25w to 100w ).

Atmos Speaker are the focal 300 ICW 16 ( Sensibility: 89db - Recomended Amplifier: 25w to 100w ).
I’m looking to clarity in sound not power. Sometimes the clarity comes with power…I guess.
Is the Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 "to much" for this kind of speakers / configuration and room space?…Considering the front stage…

Emotiva XPA-11

Etapa multicanal modular 11 canales: 3 x 300 W + 8 x 65 W clase H.
I was thinking to choose the Marantz AV processor over the Cinema 50. Use it with Emotiva.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Cláudio Nogueira

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
The XPA-11 will be a fine wattage match with your speaker choices especially considering they are 8 ohm speakers. Having more wattage is ok. Having too little wattage is the danger to your speakers.

You mention wanting “clarity”. The XPA-11 is certainly convenient for your purposes of having 3 monoblocks for LCR than having smaller stereo amps for surrounds and atmos. However, emotiva amps usually don’t have the best bench measurements compared to other amps. Whereas, Hypex Ncore class D amps have very good bench measurements, take up less room and do not produce the high heat that class AB amps do. You have some very good companies in Europe that assemble & sell these amps at very reasonable prices: Nord Audio in England offers custom number of multi amp channels that would suit https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-hypex-mp-multichannel. You could get a 3 channel (nc252) for your LCR and an 8 channel (nc122) for your surrounds and atmos at very reasonable prices.

Regarding going with the Marantz AV—it will likely offer better bench measurements and offer balanced XLR interconnects. Both will be a step up over the Cinema 50. I doubt the improvements will be audible though. But will add to your “ownership satisfaction”.

I will paste a summary forum string about the advantages of Class D amps originated by one of the respected members of both forums. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/class-d-power-amplifiers.124098/

OP
C
The XPA-11 will be a fine wattage match with your speaker choices especially considering they are 8 ohm speakers. Having more wattage is ok. Having too little wattage is the danger to your speakers.

You mention wanting “clarity”. The XPA-11 is certainly convenient for your purposes of having 3 monoblocks for LCR than having smaller stereo amps for surrounds and atmos. However, emotiva amps usually don’t have the best bench measurements compared to other amps. Whereas, Hypex Ncore class D amps have very good bench measurements, take up less room and do not produce the high heat that class AB amps do. You have some very good companies in Europe that assemble & sell these amps at very reasonable prices: Nord Audio in England offers custom number of multi amp channels that would suit https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-hypex-mp-multichannel. You could get a 3 channel (nc252) for your LCR and an 8 channel (nc122) for your surrounds and atmos at very reasonable prices.

Regarding going with the Marantz AV—it will likely offer better bench measurements and offer balanced XLR interconnects. Both will be a step up over the Cinema 50. I doubt the improvements will be audible though. But will add to your “ownership satisfaction”.

I will paste a summary forum string about the advantages of Class D amps originated by one of the respected members of both forums. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/class-d-power-amplifiers.124098/
Hello!

Thank you! I will take a look on your suggestions.

All the best

Cláudio Nogueira

santosh_hs

Hey Hi guys, this is my first message on ASR!!

I recently bought Cinema50 for my 7.2.4 setup, and currently hooked 7 bed layer speaker's preouts to Emotiva BasX & height channels directly. But hearing the clarity and separation I got for each channel, I booked XPA 7-channel amp for all bed layer and use existing BasX for Atmos/heigh speakers, then run Cinema50 only in Preamp mode.

Just to add more about my system:
>> Focal Chora 826 tower fronts with Focal Chora center & surrounds.
>> Four Klipsch RP 500 SA Dolby Atmos for height speakers
>> Dual sub setup with SVS SB2000Pro and SB1000Pro
>> Marantz Cinema 50 AVR
>> Emotiva BasX A7 amp for bed channels for now (only height in future)
>> (ordered Emotiva XPA 7 for all 7 bed speakers & use BasX only for heigh channels)

Team few questions :
  1. Whether Cinema50 makes sense if I am using it on full preamp mode? I mean worth the high Marantz cost OR should I buy Denon X3800H (Cinema50 twin), future proofing with all the same latest features. I see lot of debate on quality of sound between Denon v/s Marantz. Not sure how it applies to pure preamp mode.
  2. OR should I ignore AVR when I am adding amps for all channels, should go with dedicated processor for better separation instead of AVR.
  3. I was looking at Emotiva XMC2 which is on better pricing now, and has to upgrade path which is attractive! (Emo processors upgrade path to HDMI 2.1 and DTS Pro/IMAX etc, got this when chatting with Emo rep emotiva.com/pages/processors-promotion) . I know Emo pre-pro do not have great reviews or opinions on ASR, but they are the only in this 2500$ price range in US, but some owners stating it is much better with latest firmware update, so confused on taking risk.
  4. Any advise on AVRs preamp mode : Cinema50 v/s X3800H v/s prepro XMC2 ?

Thank you all !

Golfx

Forum Donor
You are fine with just using your pre-outs from your Cinema 50. Many people find AVRs work just fine as a prepro. You would not hear any improvement by moving to a separate AVP instead of just using your AVR.

Unfortunately Emotiva has correctly earned its bad reputation for buggy releases and less than stellar bench measurements. I would not reward them by buying any more of their products. You would likely hear an improvement in sound by transitioning away from emotiva’s amplifiers and moving to Hypex Ncore Class d amps. See my comments above regarding them and read through the forum string on Class D amps. You may find them close to the prices of emotiva.

santosh_hs

Sure will check Ncore amps.

Btw how about X3800H vs Cinema50 for preouts only setup?

Thankyou

Top Bottom