• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

joeliu2003

Could any owners disclose what the porthole is displaying/is able to display during use? For example, will it show which sound format is being played?

Also, I’ve read on certain sites that the front on C50 is made out of metal, however, others have said it’s made out of plastic. Could anyone confirm which one it is?
It displays the current input name and can momentarily display other options that are being changed. It’s not super useful aside from knowing the current input.

Not sure about the front material— if I had to guess it’s a very nicely painted composite (not metal).

Helical

Thank you for your reply. So then if you turn on something say via Apple TV it will momentarily show/confirm which format it is playing?

joeliu2003

Thank you for your reply. So then if you turn on something say via Apple TV it will momentarily show/confirm which format it is playing?
No - it only shows that info momentarily if you change the play mode manually - when switching sources it just shows the source name.

slacki

the front feels like aluminium, at least on my silver/gold cinema 50. i will take a look later whats shown in the bullseye. but iirc it was not showing what format/codec is used.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the front feels like aluminium, at least on my silver/gold cinema 50. i will take a look later whats shown in the bullseye. but iirc it was not showing what format/codec is used.

The silver is the better looking version - not available in the states for the past 20 years. Danke schon Marantz!

Helical

Id appreciate it! Also - what does the «info»-button do? Does it show an overlay over whatever source you are displaying or does it completely change the screen?

techsamurai

Could any owners disclose what the porthole is displaying/is able to display during use? For example, will it show which sound format is being played?

Also, I’ve read on certain sites that the front on C50 is made out of metal, however, others have said it’s made out of plastic. Could anyone confirm which one it is?
Are you considering the Cinema 50?

Helical

Are you considering the Cinema 50?
Yes. Between that and X3800H at the moment. They are very similarly priced where I live. I’d be slightly bummed paying the (imo) lofty price and get a plastic front though :rolleyes:

Edit: Also looking at C70 in a different setup, but a bit sceptical of the display of these Marantz units.

techsamurai

Yes. Between that and X3800H at the moment. They are very similarly priced where I live. I’d be slightly bummed paying the (imo) lofty price and get a plastic front though :rolleyes:

Edit: Also looking at C70 in a different setup, but a bit sceptical of the display of these Marantz units.

So the C50 is being sold for $1,800 and you have access to the silver version? I'd get the Cinema 50. No brainer! The only thing it's missing is DIRAC.

As an upgrade, you could get an external amp for the LR or LCR for $500.

Helical

So the C50 is being sold for $1,800 and you have access to the silver version? I'd get the Cinema 50. No brainer! The only thing it's missing is DIRAC.

Not quite. The C50 is 2000$ and the X3800 is 1950$.

ban25

ArturoKiwi

I don't want to be the pain in the ***, but if he will buy an external amp the RZ50 wouldn't be a better choice? Little cheaper and with full Dirac included.

techsamurai

I don't want to be the pain in the ***, but if he will buy an external amp the RZ50 wouldn't be a better choice? Little cheaper and with full Dirac included.
It would if Amir's test hadn't killed the RZ50 for us... :) Now our hopes are riding on Sony's ES series.

Helical

No, USD. I just used Google for the conversion (NOK to USD), but you get the general idea of the price level.
C40: 29.000 nok
C50: 20.500 nok
C70: 10.500 nok
X3800: 20.000 nok
X4800: 28.000 nok

techsamurai

No, USD. I just used Google for the conversion (NOK to USD), but you get the general idea of the price level.
C40: 29.000 nok
C50: 20.500 nok
C70: 10.500 nok
X3800: 20.000 nok
X4800: 28.000 nok

I see - well, for the same price, I would personally get the C50. Here in the States, the Cinema 50 goes for $2,500 and the X3800H goes for $1,700. It's much better looking

techsamurai

But he killed the RZ50 about the power restriction, not the Sinad or the features.
Or am I wrong?
Yeah but he was testing it in 2 channel - I think getting a 9 channel external amp would be overkill. I can't believe Onkyo failed that test. It's like failing the 0-60 under full acceleration test. Who wants to run into that problem?

ArturoKiwi

Yeah but he was testing it in 2 channel - I think getting a 9 channel external amp would be overkill. I can't believe Onkyo failed that test. It's like failing the 0-60 under full acceleration test. Who wants to run into that problem?
I don't know. I think that everyone must clear his mind to understand if he really need a new receiver and what he need.
I have an old Pre-amp, analog class A, I already have 9 channels in 2 power amplifiers, so I need more a pre or a receiver if I want to change my 7 channel ADCom. But there isn't a good pre as cheap as some receiver.
All the gears are more expensive than last generation, so the choice is important.
My 0.1 cent opinon

Top Bottom