• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

mattsrs

Same boat my friend outside US. I`m hoping to see both Cinema 50 and Cinema 40 at @amirm bench next year. :) Cinema 40 just like Denon X4800H is now made in Japan and there is some differences.

Editorial Note About the $1k Price Difference Between Cinema 40 vs Cinema 50:

• Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, copper screws on the back panel, etc.

Would be good to give credit to whoever wrote the notes pasted here. This is a piece from Audioholics article on new Marantz releases.

santosh_hs

Guys - this is interesting watch on Cinema-50 , from Sound United channel.
>> Pure pre-amplifier performance part is what excites me!

birdog1960

I like this kind of questions:). The thing is, he bought it so it is more likely he likes it better than the 6700, for the features, look etc., but if it if for sound quality that some people would want to know, whatever answer he may give will be interesting but not very useful. When I bought my first Maranta AVP to replace my Denon AVR, I like the sound quality better but before long I realize it was just the effects of DEQ (enabled by default) that the Denon AVR-4308 did not have, though it got FW updated to have it later after I gave it away. Then I replaced the AV7005 with the AV8801 and though there was no change in sound quality, and then I replace the AV8801 with the Denon AVR-X4400H and thought the Denon sounded better, and then I did some AB comparison listening tests between either with my "separates" in stereo and thought they all sounded the same, so I basically could not believe what I heard, better, or not, or same..:D Anyway, can't wait to hear from SupremeAV.
Did u listen to "pretzel logic" on each and then compare?

Rockman2

Guys - this is interesting watch on Cinema-50 , from Sound United channel.
>> Pure pre-amplifier performance part is what excites me!

It would be great to see a review of the Cinema 50. Seems to have a few differences from the Denon 3800.

Geronimo.USMC

I have the AV 10.

Some factual and subjective initial thoughts on the unit;

OPERATING EXPERIENCE

Beautiful, well put together unit.

Such a clean and considerate layout in the rear. A pleasure to install.

The front face-plate beautifully colored gunmetal ends are NOT metal.

The front door is substantial, and opens/closes very nicely.

On/Off switch feels great.

The remote is exquisite. FEELS GOOD IN THE HAND.....Ladies?......Very nice. There is also a button on the right side for the backlight that has a satisfying click. The backlight is evenly lit.

I'm not a knob person... LOL ...., but the input selector (Left one)? Blah. Not very luxurious. No satisfying tactile feel. It has one, but you might go past your input. Volume knob is fine (Right one)

I feel the top, middle panel could be a little more rigid.

Runs very cool. Saying that, it is a long unit ;) , so if you want to use a product like an AC Infinity AIRCOM, you will have to slide it to the back or foward. It won't line up.

GUI is very fast, simple, and east to use.

I love all the information given via the INFO button. This is huge to me.

Very nice font on the OLED "porthole".

All lighting effects, display, and fonts are an off white subdued color.

12V Triggers work great.

SOUND QUALITY
My equipment is in my signature, and I use XLR interconnects

Audioquest MacKenzie on my front 3 channels, and Mogami Gold 8 XLR-XLR-05 Audio Snake Cable for the other 8 channels.

Mackenzie · Rivers & Elements Series · Analog Interconnects · Cables

smile.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Mogami Gold 8 XLR-XLR-05 Audio Snake Cable, 8 Channel Fan-Out, XLR-Female to XLR-Male, Gold Contacts, Straight Connectors, 5 Foot : Musical Instruments

Haven't set up Audyssey yet, but I set the DAC filter to 2 for "BENCHMARK" mode and played some bass heavy music.

Sounds great. The bass is very muscular, and enveloping.

Dead quiet, and absolutely no buzzing, or clicks/pops/crackling through the speakers, etc.......

There is a low, slight thump, turning the unit off that I never experienced before, but it might be amp dependent, YMMV.

I haven't played any audio that needs to be decoded yet, so I can't speak to any noisy relay sounds, and if there is any.

I'm VERY happy with the unit, so far.

Last edited:

Geronimo.USMC

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So.. I just picked up a Cinema 50. Having an issue with my surround back speakers not working. I have a basic 7.1 system. Front, center surround L+R, surround back L+R. I upgraded from a Denon x2300. When I got the Cinema 50 I also added front height. Running Audyssey it detects all speakers. But in any playback so far, the surround back speakers do not work. On the x2300, everything was upmixed and all speakers worked. Any suggestions on why the surround back are not working?

Geronimo.USMC

So.. I just picked up a Cinema 50. Having an issue with my surround back speakers not working. I have a basic 7.1 system. Front, center surround L+R, surround back L+R. I upgraded from a Denon x2300. When I got the Cinema 50 I also added front height. Running Audyssey it detects all speakers. But in any playback so far, the surround back speakers do not work. On the x2300, everything was upmixed and all speakers worked. Any suggestions on why the surround back are not working?
1. Update the firmware
2. After reboot, check, and update the firmware again if needed
3. Factory reset after ALL firmwares are downloaded, and installed.

This should be an issue resolved by the above......

Last edited:

Geronimo.USMC

Newman

Major Contributor
Also remember that data can be altered, faked, taken in error, etc. Opinions of random people either enthusiast or amateur are also valuable here.
LOL, seriously mate. Sighted opinions on sound quality of devices that are transparent to 90+ dB?

If that’s your opinion, you genuinely don‘t fit here.

Bren Derlin

LOL, seriously mate. Sighted opinions on sound quality of devices that are transparent to 90+ dB?

If that’s your opinion, you genuinely don‘t fit here.

If subjective opinions on sound quality don’t fit here, then why does Amir even bother with his “listening tests”?!? …You have the measurements. Go buy from the numbers…

Newman

Major Contributor
No. There is such a thing as controlled listening tests — the only way to get subjective opinions that are about the sound waves.

So stop polarising between sighted listening and measurements, as if it has to be one or the other. Just because I am justly critical of using sighted listening to learn about the sound waves, does not mean I am anti-listening.

Cheers

Bren Derlin

No. There is such a thing as controlled listening tests — the only way to get subjective opinions that are about the sound waves.

So stop polarising between sighted listening and measurements, as if it has to be one or the other. Just because I am justly critical of using sighted listening to learn about the sound waves, does not mean I am anti-listening.

Cheers

FFS! I'm not the one saying it has to be one or the other. I literally prefer both measurements, and subjective opinions - whether from controlled or uncontrolled listening. I don't listen to my gear in an anechoic chamber. So reading or hearing why someone prefers one speaker/avr over another from a side-by-side comparison literally appeals to me.

Two things you've stated in your two most recent posts in this thread regarding: "Sighted opinions on sound quality of devices that are transparent to 90+ dB?":

"Just because I am justly critical of using sighted listening to learn about the sound waves, does not mean I am anti-listening".

Yet you just told someone... "LOL....you genuinely don‘t fit here."...because they value sighted opinions...

Newman

Major Contributor
The reason I am not anti-listening is because I value controlled listening reports, not because I value sighted listening reports. That was perfectly clear in my post above, yet you misunderstood it as some sort of self-contradiction. Please read more carefully.

santosh_hs

Any inputs if dedicated processor like Emotiva XMC2 compares with Cinema50 in full preamp mode ?
I have amplifier's for all 11 channels Emotiva XPA7+BasX7.
So should I keep Cinema50 OR replace with similar priced XMC2, which has good upgrade path from Emotiva.

But none of the other latest tech pre-pro's are in same price range around 2.5k.

Geronimo.USMC

Any inputs if dedicated processor like Emotiva XMC2 compares with Cinema50 in full preamp mode ?
I have amplifier's for all 11 channels Emotiva XPA7+BasX7.
So should I keep Cinema50 OR replace with similar priced XMC2, which has good upgrade path from Emotiva.

But none of the other latest tech pre-pro's are in same price range around 2.5k.
Marantz All day over EMOTIVA.

Context; I was one of the very 1st in owners, and their Guinea pig for almost 2 years on the RMC-1 beta.........

If you want their amps, buy them used.

Top Bottom