• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

slacki

come on guys, ship one to Amir :)
If i would live in the US, i would have done it - unfortunately, those devices are nearly impossible to get in the EU right now.

SynthesisCinema

come on guys, ship one to Amir :)
If i would live in the US, i would have done it - unfortunately, those devices are nearly impossible to get in the EU right now.

Same boat my friend outside US. I`m hoping to see both Cinema 50 and Cinema 40 at @amirm bench next year. :) Cinema 40 just like Denon X4800H is now made in Japan and there is some differences.

Editorial Note About the $1k Price Difference Between Cinema 40 vs Cinema 50:

• Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, copper screws on the back panel, etc.

Dal1as

I like this kind of questions:). The thing is, he bought it so it is more likely he likes it better than the 6700, for the features, look etc., but if it if for sound quality that some people would want to know, whatever answer he may give will be interesting but not very useful. When I bought my first Maranta AVP to replace my Denon AVR, I like the sound quality better but before long I realize it was just the effects of DEQ (enabled by default) that the Denon AVR-4308 did not have, though it got FW updated to have it later after I gave it away. Then I replaced the AV7005 with the AV8801 and though there was no change in sound quality, and then I replace the AV8801 with the Denon AVR-X4400H and thought the Denon sounded better, and then I did some AB comparison listening tests between either with my "separates" in stereo and thought they all sounded the same, so I basically could not believe what I heard, better, or not, or same..:D Anyway, can't wait to hear from SupremeAV.
It's amazing how our brains work. Listening doesn't just involve the ears but also how our brain works.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same boat my friend outside US. I`m hoping to see both Cinema 50 and Cinema 40 at @amirm bench next year. :) Cinema 40 just like Denon X4800H is now made in Japan and there is some differences.

Editorial Note About the $1k Price Difference Between Cinema 40 vs Cinema 50:

• Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, copper screws on the back panel, etc.

So the Cinema40 would fit in between the SR8015/Cinema30? and the Cinema50 then? The Cinema50 seems more comparable to the SR6015 but the Cinema40 appears to be an upgrade, not just an update vs the SR7015.

SynthesisCinema

So the Cinema40 would fit in between the SR8015/Cinema30? and the Cinema50 then? The Cinema50 seems more comparable to the SR6015 but the Cinema40 appears to be an upgrade, not just an update vs the SR7015.

Yes, SR6015 -> Cinema 50. This is why i don´t understand why Turbo6 downgraded from X6700H (11.2/13.2, 140w, Japan) to C50 (9.2/11.2, 110w, Vietnam).

Cinema 30 should be introduced together with X6800H fall 2023!

evert

Also the Cinema 40 has that extra display under the hood.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see anything in the Cinema 40's specs/features that can justify $1,000 more than the X4800H. I do prefer it's look and style.

The subjective online reviewers including A.Robinson's seemed to just regurgitate the claimed sonic difference from Marantz and Denon's marketing hypes/blurbs. If they were to do their comparisons in controlled enviroment they would most likely fail to hear their previously perceived differences.

Obviously, I can never prove them wrong so it's just my opinion based on available related specs, measurements and my own logical thinking.

Last edited:

kmidst

I got the Cinema 50 installed and running last night. Initial impressions are good. I haven't dived too far yet beyond initial setup and listening at default settings though. Most important thing, sound quality seems great. I didn't pack the Anthem MRX 740 8K yet, so I had an opportunity to put the two receivers side by side and swap back and forth. I kept all EQ and positional settings default on both of them and just swapped my fronts back and forth manually (don't have a speaker switch). It was difficult to tell differences, but I thought the Cinema 50 sounded at least as good as the MRX 740 8K. I used three test songs that I knew fairly well and swapped back and forth at least five times. If anything, I felt like the Cinema 50 had a bit more clarity. Hard to say without of course getting into minutia of settings and such to try and even everything between the two.
I did run some atmos content and it sounded great. Very clear separation and detail, and objects sweeping between channels sounded natural. So processing seems accurate for my limited point of reference.
One thing that doesn't make sense to me about the Cinema 50. Why are there 11 speaker outputs when there's only 9 channels of amplification? I incorrectly assumed I'd be able to run a 7.2.4 system out of the box, but in fact I still need an external stereo power amp in order to do that.
Unit look and feel is nice. Front plate is plastic and remote is plastic, but everything still feels good. I didn't hear any fan noise yet. The relays inside make a rather loud clunk though, maybe that's a good thing to mean they're hefty?
Overall, Cinema 50 seems better deal than the MRX 740 8K. More channels, although slightly less power. $600 cheaper. Better user experience. Comparable sound quality, maybe a bit better.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Well once we get measurements from Amir we will see which is worth buying until then I wait patiently to replace my Anthem AV60, that I had purchased many years ago before discovering ASR!

kmidst

Well once we get measurements from Amir we will see which is worth buying until then I wait patiently to replace my Anthem AV60, that I had purchased many years ago before discovering ASR!
I wouldn't count on the word of just one person, no matter how much you trust their reviews. Plenty of forums and such around to search reviews.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I wouldn't count on the word of just one person, no matter how much you trust their reviews. Plenty of forums and such around to search reviews.
Agreed, Amir, Erin and Gene as they provide scientific measurements rather than subjective opinions!

Andysu

Major Contributor
Why the 8db dip around 100hz? Difficult sub integration?
more likely issue you also have in your home system and his and his over there , oh his beside you and his , behind me and myself as well . null .
play sine wave walk around the room . oh , room is far from perfect .
take small box mini sub , they do make small mini subs that can easily be picked up . place mic at seated position or middle of the room dimensions , then walk around with mini sub while looking at RTA of single sine wave , get the idea ?

kmidst

Agreed, Amir, Erin and Gene as they provide scientific measurements rather than subjective opinions!
Also remember that data can be altered, faked, taken in error, etc. Opinions of random people either enthusiast or amateur are also valuable here. The thing is, audio gear is often very expensive, and so there's a lot of incentive for companies to get positive opinions floating around. Don't underestimate what companies will do in order to generate those positive opinions.

FrameWise

Well I just spent most of the afternoon installing my new Marantz Cinema 50. I replaced my old Marantz AV 7702 Pre/pro that I've had for a long while. I was originally going to run an Arcam AVR11 but something happened with my order and after a week I got tired of waiting so I was able to get this right away instead. After unboxing and making connections I did a firmware update. (1 of 2).

I went through the process to setup the audysssey for the first time via the app and it seems like a cool upgrade from my previous setup at least until the Dirac upgrade becomes available.

The build quality of the unit seems pretty good and it feel's nice when controlling the volume knob etc. I almost sent this out to get tested for the forum but honestly I've been out of my surround system for a while since I prematurely sold my old PRE/Pro. So at some point later I might consider doing so if another member doesn't but for now I just wanted to have it for the holidays or until the AV 7706 replacement becomes available and I can sell this unit or use it in my bedroom maybe.

Anyway I thought I'd share some pics for those interested.

I've never used the Audyssey EQ editor app since my old setup wasn't compatible with it. I found out after I ran calibration that there was yet another firmware update which I found odd. But after installing that update it cleared out my Audyssey calibration but luckily all I had to do is go back to my iPad and send the file again.

SupremeAV...​

I just unboxed my Marantz Cinema 50 today so far so good... Was wondering if on yours does the dimmer switch toggle the blue light on and off?

FrameWise

Pictures please
Does yours do this? Thanks....

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.16.14 AM.png

Marco78

Very curious how this amp performs using the pre-outs.
I'm using an AV8003, paired with a mm8803, in a 5.1 setup. Very happy with how it currently sounds.
Main reason is that I "need" 4k passthrough for my new, still to be decided (Epson LS11/12000 / Sony XW5000), projector.

Any thoughts / feedback / advice on this?

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very curious how this amp performs using the pre-outs.
I'm using an AV8003, paired with a mm8803, in a 5.1 setup. Very happy with how it currently sounds.
Main reason is that I "need" 4k passthrough for my new, still to be decided (Epson LS11/12000 / Sony XW5000), projector.

Any thoughts / feedback / advice on this?
It's going to measure the same as the X3800H as it's largely the same internals with some differences in the amplifier section specific to Marantz:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3800h-review.38574/

Honestly, you're going to be going up a full decade of features, including Atmos, DTS:X, 4K120/8K, AirPlay, etc., etc. so I think that's the biggest thing you're going to notice.

mattsrs

In one of the videos from Cedia, the Marantz guy said Cinema 40 is between SR7015 and SR8015. Here's the video:

Top Bottom