• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

SupremeAV

Well I just spent most of the afternoon installing my new Marantz Cinema 50. I replaced my old Marantz AV 7702 Pre/pro that I've had for a long while. I was originally going to run an Arcam AVR11 but something happened with my order and after a week I got tired of waiting so I was able to get this right away instead. After unboxing and making connections I did a firmware update. (1 of 2).

I went through the process to setup the audysssey for the first time via the app and it seems like a cool upgrade from my previous setup at least until the Dirac upgrade becomes available.

The build quality of the unit seems pretty good and it feel's nice when controlling the volume knob etc. I almost sent this out to get tested for the forum but honestly I've been out of my surround system for a while since I prematurely sold my old PRE/Pro. So at some point later I might consider doing so if another member doesn't but for now I just wanted to have it for the holidays or until the AV 7706 replacement becomes available and I can sell this unit or use it in my bedroom maybe.

Anyway I thought I'd share some pics for those interested.

I've never used the Audyssey EQ editor app since my old setup wasn't compatible with it. I found out after I ran calibration that there was yet another firmware update which I found odd. But after installing that update it cleared out my Audyssey calibration but luckily all I had to do is go back to my iPad and send the file again.

Attachments

• IMG_0266 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0266 Large.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_0267 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0267 Large.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_0268 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0268 Large.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 1,710
  • IMG_0271 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0271 Large.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,977
  • IMG_0273 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0273 Large.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2,123
  • IMG_0276 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0276 Large.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_0275 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0275 Large.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 2,008

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I just spent most of the afternoon installing my new Marantz Cinema 50. I replaced my old Marantz AV 7702 Pre/pro that I've had for a long while. I was originally going to run an Arcam AVR11 but something happened with my order and after a week I got tired of waiting so I was able to get this right away instead. After unboxing and making connections I did a firmware update. (1 of 2).

I went through the process to setup the audysssey for the first time via the app and it seems like a cool upgrade from my previous setup at least until the Dirac upgrade becomes available.

The build quality of the unit seems pretty good and it feel's nice when controlling the volume knob etc. I almost sent this out to get tested for the forum but honestly I've been out of my surround system for a while since I prematurely sold my old PRE/Pro. So at some point later I might consider doing so if another member doesn't but for now I just wanted to have it for the holidays or until the AV 7706 replacement becomes available and I can sell this unit or use it in my bedroom maybe.

I've never used the Audyssey EQ editor app since my old setup wasn't compatible with it. I found out after I ran calibration that there was yet another firmware update which I found odd. But after installing that update it cleared out my Audyssey calibration but luckily all I had to do is go back to my iPad and send the file again.
Nice to see new units coming out. It will be interesting when Amir gets to test one. One of the great things about the Audyssey app is you can limit correction. For fun you might try one limiting correction to somewhere between 200-500hz. Depending on your speakers, you may (or may not) prefer one over the other.

OP
S

SupremeAV

Nice to see new units coming out. It will be interesting when Amir gets to test one. One of the great things about the Audyssey app is you can limit correction. For fun you might try one limiting correction to somewhere between 200-500hz. Depending on your speakers, you may (or may not) prefer one over the other.
Yes I saw that mentioned on the video Audioholics did about the app. I made Preset 1 full bandwidth and Preset 2 set at 500hz and I'll see how that goes. I still have alot of tinkering to do with it. Plan to spend sometime this weekend or next to try a lot of different content from my Apple TV 4K , Kaleidescape Strato and PS5. So far something I don't like is it looks like I can't stream Tidal Hi-res (Master audio) from the built in HEOS app it seems to be limiting it to CD quality only, Can anyone confirm?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Flat room correction? That is too bright, isn't it?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why the 8db dip around 100hz? Difficult sub integration?

Prowler_88

That dip was only on the Front L speaker measurement. Not sure why. the rest of the measurements do not show that.

SBIR perhaps (although that window is very small). Is your left speaker a different distance from the front wall to the centre and / or right?

Thanks for your thoughts on the receiver. Looking to pick one of these up to replace my Anthem MRX 720, fancy having a play with Audessey and then DIRAC later on.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
And another question: Marantz in the past has been well-known to run hot. How is heat on this AVR?

Rockman2

I am looking at the Denon 4800. Do you know if the DAC,s are different in the Cinama 50?

slacki

Would also be interested in more details (e.g. used DAC, measurements, etc.) of the cinema 50 and the denon 4800. I am going to buy a new AVR but not sure which one. Currently using a Marantz SR7011 for a 5.1.4 setup with 2xTannoy XT8F, 2xXT6F and 4xXT6. Afraid that the power might be not enough from the Cinema 50, the Denon offers more oomph and *maybe* better SINAD/performance.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any update? Do you like it better than the 6700?

Thanks

I like this kind of questions:). The thing is, he bought it so it is more likely he likes it better than the 6700, for the features, look etc., but if it if for sound quality that some people would want to know, whatever answer he may give will be interesting but not very useful. When I bought my first Maranta AVP to replace my Denon AVR, I like the sound quality better but before long I realize it was just the effects of DEQ (enabled by default) that the Denon AVR-4308 did not have, though it got FW updated to have it later after I gave it away. Then I replaced the AV7005 with the AV8801 and though there was no change in sound quality, and then I replace the AV8801 with the Denon AVR-X4400H and thought the Denon sounded better, and then I did some AB comparison listening tests between either with my "separates" in stereo and thought they all sounded the same, so I basically could not believe what I heard, better, or not, or same..:D Anyway, can't wait to hear from SupremeAV.

Top Bottom