• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 AVR Review

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Thank you for including THD+N at various frequencies (a nano-nit about colors used).

How does this Marrantz measurements compare with its Denon doppelganger?
Isn't the Denon Amir reviewed a bit ago the counterpart that got trashed?

They do not seem too different.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was able to pick up the C50 new from Marantz for 1900$ including tax. What's the comparable Anthem?
They have a range of price points, from about 1900 for the 5 channel to 4200 for the 15 channel receiver. My understanding is that the Marantz would require the purchase of room correction software whereas it is included with the Anthem. I don't know the detailed features comparison and don't wish to argue over which is the greater value, just wanted to point out that room correction software/microphone are included with Anthem receivers and processors. The ultimate value judgement is of course with the purchaser.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a range of price points, from about 1900 for the 5 channel to 4200 for the 15 channel receiver. My understanding is that the Marantz would require the purchase of room correction software whereas it is included with the Anthem. I don't know the detailed features comparison and don't wish to argue over which is the greater value, just wanted to point out that room correction software/microphone are included with Anthem receivers and processors. The ultimate value judgement is of course with the purchaser.

That's not true, the Cinema 50 comes with Audyssey room correction sofware too. The only extra is the $20 app. The mic looks cheap comparing to Anthem's, but the system works well with the app. As to which one is better, it is hard to say, there are pros and cons for both. The license cost is for Dirac Live, that is optional.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
No explanation is a good thing. Now the 'audiophile' folks wont be offended, as they wont understand a thang! At the same time for the people who need the info, its all there. I think if this is the norm, ASR wont hurt anyone!
IMHO, Add How to read as independent page(posting) and exclusion of possible subjective assessments at review data may reduce bias and provide better interpretation.
Thank you!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
From my limited understanding, I guess they are all measurements of the amps, right? Seems quite good for an avr, doesn't it?
Yes, it is! AMP out, L/R(Front, Single Ch driven : 8Ohm, 2Ohm, Both Ch driven 4 Ohm)

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Maybe I missed seeing it, but since this is an AVR shouldn't there be some measurements from the HDMI input?
100%! But I don't have enough devices for that!
At this moment make measurement data review. It gives me no financial benefit whatsoever, in fact it give be bills for transportation, electricity and time consumption. However.I can get many people's likes, comments and teachings.

Edit : enough devices =

APx52x

I/O OPTIONS:
HDMI + ARC (option)
The APx HDMI option allows engineers to measure HDMI audio quality and audio format compatibility on devices such as surround sound receivers, set-top boxes, smartphones, tablets, TVs, and DVD or Blu-ray Disc™ players. APx can stream both lossless and compressed formats from pre-encoded audio test files, making it easy to troubleshoot component compatibility and issues related to downsampling, downmixing, or transcoding.

(Of course, it is significant charges for purely occasional hobbyist measurements.)

Looks like the aim of this thread is just for someone to prove his capabilities to produce some graphics. The rest doesn't seem to be relevant...
So, Yes! This is purely made because I can. But you can get as much usefulness out of this as you can interpret!
Therefore, the meaning of this post is fully up to you.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
surprisingly good measurements.
If it came with Dirac Bass Control included I would consider it but the whole Bass Control package is like 800€ on top of the 2000€ the Cinema 50 costs here
On the back it says "compatible with Dirac". Is it included with the AVR?
From another post on the Cinema 50:
$2500 at Crutchfield
Nope. Dirac is no included and not even available yet for these new Denon/Marantz AVRs/AVPs.

Supposedly, the timeline looks like this:
  • Dirac limited and full bandwidth versions AFTER the firmware update in March 2023
  • Support for Bass Control upgrade although the integration efforts has not yet started. We expect we should be able to release a new firmware to support Dirac Live Bass Control upgrade sometime in 2024 - TBD
Dirac live will be an optional upgrade (upcharge). Once after firmware update in 2023 March, customers, either installers or DIY consumers, will need to go to dirac.com/denon or dirac.com/marantz to purchase a license key from Dirac to calibrate each AVR. Customers can purchase either a limited version or a full band-width. A MAC address will be needed. A license key for the limited version will cost $259 and the full-bandwidth version will cost $349. It will be possible to upgrade from the limited to the full-band width version at later stage with additional cost of $99. Dirac Live Bass Control Multi Subwoofer is currently $499.

Thanks for providing some important points I didn't cover! Great point of community!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
We can see that the linearity at higher frequencies is getting worse.

View attachment 254467

Would it be possible to make a measurement of THD+N vs. level (power) at 6 kHz frequency? Anyway, congrats to a nice set of measurements!

And I completely agree with you that the measurement with 8 ohm load is pointless.
Thank you!

If you need 6 kHz, I'll ask again for my friend to lent! but we already have 5 kHz data so I don't know if it will make much difference to read.
Is there any particular reason you want to see 6 kHz data?

5k.PNG

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Can you test with all channels driven?
I hope I can do that in some way, but my Near-Empty-Can-Like-APx525 itself do not support multi Ch Output.
I/O of AP I'm using is really basic one. (In fact I can't even utilize 100% of its features. Myself is way far more basic than basic APx525)
So, I must be creative and learn about them more. And I'm still looking for a way.

But, even limited Ch data, that is still better than nothing!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I certainly appreciate the effort involved in this type of testing, but I'm sure i speak for many when I say my understanding of this tech is limited and I rely on Amir's comments to interpret the findings. At the very least I hope that the OP will include a Conclusion/Summary paragraph or two that puts the results in perspective in comparison to other AVRs. In any case the efforts are much appreciated.
My test data is so limited so It is not very appropriate to use it for full comparison with other products. But you can get some hints like SINAD(higher is better) and Power sweep curve(lower is better(Y = How much TH Distortion + Noise than Signal), and more numbers of X-axis(=Power) is better)

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
So which of the companies or what 3rd part did the design job. Identical backsides....??

//
Marantz + Denon = D&M Holdings (D+M Group)

and they sold to

D&M Holdings Pro parts -> @ inMusic
D&M Holdings Consumer parts -> @ Sound United LCC

Again

Sound United LCC-> @ Masimo Corporation

So they are basically same company!

pma

Major Contributor
If you need 6 kHz, I'll ask again for my friend to lent! but we already have 5 kHz data so I don't know if it will make much difference to read.
Is there any particular reason you want to see 6 kHz data?
I am sorry, I have overlooked your 5kHz plot.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I am sorry, I have overlooked your 5kHz plot.
No problem at all! I did similar things all the time. xD If you want some more details or something, just feel free to tell me anytime!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Top Bottom