• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

Jbrunwa

I thought that was interesting too. According to both (D&M) sites and Crutchfield they do have the dual presets.
I brought an X8500HA and confirmed the latest firmware. When I used the MultiEQ app it did not give me a choice between 2 presets, and I did not see menu choices for dual presets.

tparm

Forum Donor
I brought an X8500HA and confirmed the latest firmware. When I used the MultiEQ app it did not give me a choice between 2 presets, and I did not see menu choices for dual presets.
Press the “options” button on the remote, scroll down, do you see preset 1 with the ability to toggle to preset 2?

Edit: it is not listed in the HA user manual

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

Press the “options” button on the remote, scroll down, do you see preset 1 with the ability to toggle to preset 2?

Edit: it is not listed in the HA user manual

I'm sorry, I can't check it. I returned the unit to Denon as it had issues with audio dropouts when processing Atmos signals. I did at the time compare the menu with my X3700H that does have the dual presets, and it appeared to be missing. I hope I'm not providing inaccurate information.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the DAC or processing chips sets have been changed in these like D&M? Also I guess anyone that owns one of these and listens to 2CH playback just accepts the internal DACs and has Dirac engaged? I want(ed) one of these but found that it doesn’t have a Direct/Pure Direct/Reference Stereo path so all signals are digitized. Seems a huge oversight. At a glance it seems as if the Anthem AVMs don’t have a pure analog path either, true? Comes down to Emotiva and D&M products for those that care about such things.
I'd suggest getting a separate preamp/amp for pure direct because you are asking a lot of this product that was designed from the ground up to deliver an immersive movie experience - they really did not have 2-channel enthusiasts in mind, nor should they considering the price point.

multisport4me

They don't have it. I just sold an AV8805A and had the AVR-X8500H before that. There is no promise of it coming either - Sound United told me several times that there is not enough memory on those models (AVR-A110, AVR-X8500H/A, AV8805/A) to accommodate dual speaker preset.

FWIW - it's a neat feature but frankly I bought an AVR-X6700H and it has that feature but I still cannot do what I want with the preamp assignments so I picked up an HTP-1....which has 6 memory slots for Dirac calibrations.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F
I'd suggest getting a separate preamp/amp for pure direct because you are asking a lot of this product that was designed from the ground up to deliver an immersive movie experience - they really did not have 2-channel enthusiasts in mind, nor should they considering the price point.
From Marantz:
Maximum Flexibility
From high-resolution stereo to 13.2 channel surround sound, experience pure Marantz audio through any configuration you need.

While I tend to agree and have a separate 2 channel preamp, the $4500 processor is marketed to provide high-resolution stereo.

- Rich

tparm

Forum Donor
I have a Gustard X16 running into balanced inputs for reference stereo mode; if I am not mistaking this isn’t something the HTP-1 can do? Doesn’t seem like a big ask since mid-level Denon AVRs and the Emotiva pieces all have pure analog paths (albeit single ended with the AVRs). I haven’t heard a definitive answer from anyone as to if the HTP-1 has a listening mode that is not digitized.

Last edited:

wseroyer

Hit the "option" button the the remote and see if you have a option for "speaker preset"

wseroyer

Hey FOMO, i'm never on topic when I talked to you on ASR, but I just want you to know I loved your coverage of the "king of TV's" shootout and you had fantastic color commentary, it was a really fun day for me, I listened to most of the coverage. I know your mainly a TV only focused channel, but I'd love to see you do more video's on AVR's and surround sound, or at least a tour video of your audio set up, I don't even know what you use to listen to movies and games on all of your TV's!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
If we have to explain discrepancies with Stereophile Class Ratings, ASR will go straight down the Alice in Wonderland rabbit hole.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson
https://www.stereophile.com/content...s-fall-2021-edition-music-surround-components

I noticed that the AV8805 had Stereophile Class A recommendation but measurements are not very good here. Is there something about the sound or measurement that you think is not adequately captured by the metrics?

I doubt it was about measurements that much. It may have more to do with this: "Nonetheless, Kal regards the Marantz AV8805 as "the standard bearer in home theater and multichannel audio." (Vol.41 No.11 WWW)"

Until the SR8015, the AV8805 is the best measured 13 channel Marantz product so far and has no major bugs compared to competitors with comparable featues/specs. So for $4499, that seems reasonable to put it in Stereophile's Class A imo..

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Until the SR8015, the AV8805 is the best measured 13 channel Marantz product so far and has no major bugs compared to competitors with comparable featues/specs. So for $4499, that seems reasonable to put it in Stereophile's Class A imo..

Makes sense. The reliability aspect is pretty impressive and with most movie content at 85dB average with 105 dB peaks, it’s not that bad.

I just remember Stereophile Class A being one of those nearly impossible awards to get, where just being on the list was pretty good and getting to Class A was a monumental achievement.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt it was about measurements that much. It may have more to do with this: "Nonetheless, Kal regards the Marantz AV8805 as "the standard bearer in home theater and multichannel audio." (Vol.41 No.11 WWW)"

Hmm. The terrible reconstruction filter is a problem IMO.

There are some execellent products and then there are product categories that defy scientific rationality but make sense for advertising revenue.
Recommended Components 2021 Edition Digital Data Interconnects | Stereophile.com

I agree the 8805 seems top tier for reliability, except for HDMI 2.1 issues that seem to be ubiquitous.

- Rich

wseroyer

@Kal Rubinson
https://www.stereophile.com/content...s-fall-2021-edition-music-surround-components

I noticed that the AV8805 had Stereophile Class A recommendation but measurements are not very good here. Is there something about the sound or measurement that you think is not adequately captured by the metrics?

Stereophile are a bunch of golden ears who worship cables and don't care about measurements or science, I wouldn't take anything they say very seriously.

twokdesigns

Stereophile are a bunch of golden ears who worship cables and don't care about measurements or science, I wouldn't take anything they say very seriously.
New thought, marantz av8805a and monoprice monolith 7 amp good combo?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New thought, marantz av8805a and monoprice monolith 7 amp good combo?

8805A is good if you need the 13 channel, DTS:X Pro, 7.1 analog in, and balanced I/Os. If not, the AVR-X6700H (13 channel processing), or the AVR-X4700H or even the X3700H (11 channel processing) are better values especially if you can find those you know for sure have the AK4458 DAC chips. AVPs are nice obviously but at the moment there are supply chain issues and other uncertainties, plus the AV8805A does not even have the better HDAM that the SR8015 has, so I would go cheap and wait until everything get settled, then go for an upgrade.

For amp, the hypex NC502MP based Buckeye amps, or the VTV amps are more powerful than the Monolith, likely measure better, and for much less money.

twokdesigns

8805A is good if you need the 13 channel, DTS:X Pro, 7.1 analog in, and balanced I/Os. If not, the AVR-X6700H (13 channel processing), or the AVR-X4700H or even the X3700H (11 channel processing) are better values especially if you can find those you know for sure have the AK4458 DAC chips. AVPs are nice obviously but at the moment there are supply chain issues and other uncertainties, plus the AV8805A does not even have the better HDAM that the SR8015 has, so I would go cheap and wait until everything get settled, then go for an upgrade.

For amp, the hypex NC502MP based Buckeye amps, or the VTV amps are more powerful than the Monolith, likely measure better, and for much less money.
do either of those have direct online wesite ordering? trying to google both but maybe just not looking the right way?

multisport4me

do either of those have direct online wesite ordering? trying to google both but maybe just not looking the right way?
Buckeye is right here on ASR - its literally his username if I recall. He also runs adverts in CAM and USAM.

VTV Amplifiers has a website and will respond by email as well.

Top Bottom