• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

D

Deleted member 43441

One can only assume when the new AVP comes out with the revised HDAM boards (from the 8015) it'll measure better if measurements are your main concern. And if so, buy an Anthem. I have the AVM 70 and thoroughly enjoy it.

I think the bar needs to be raised for AVR’s/AVP’s

At one time I thought anthem, and sadly most of them are middle of the pack also. I’m not looking for middle of the pack in measurements, I would love to force the industry to up the bar not lower it. Until they stop resting on their 1990s laurels I’m not buying.

That being said I know that we’ve reached the threshold of hearing, but it’s still needs to measure well, they need to do better instead of going backwards.

Look at the DAC’s in the last five years just unbelievable what’s been done, and if these AVR companies wanted to they could do it also, they’re just not.

That’s not a knock on your anthem, because it’s probably good enough, I’m just holding out for stellar at my price point. If it doesn’t happen, I’ll keep what I have.

2-channel I’m set, it’s multi channel that I want to improve upon even if I can’t hear it lol.

Why should we settle for 5K?

D

Deleted member 43441

What we’re getting is good enough, but that’s not where we should be. I’ll be darned if I’m going to spend $17,000 to get a 100 SINAD.

I want a golfing and happy panther for 5K LOL

D

Deleted member 43441

One can only assume when the new AVP comes out with the revised HDAM boards (from the 8015) it'll measure better if measurements are your main concern. And if so, buy an Anthem. I have the AVM 70 and thoroughly enjoy it.

By the way your anthem is a beautiful looking machine, and very tempting. My nine year old Marantz is aging, but I’ll still wait a little while. Thanks for the conversation I appreciate it.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the detailed review.

Disappointing in my opinion for that kind of money. I will be hanging onto my older Marantz pre-pro, until someone makes a $3000-$5000
AVP that measures well. honestly we shouldn’t have to pay any more than that for something very good.

I contacted Marantz customer service over this, because I’m going to be in the market for an AVP within the next year or two. So my question was is this kind of quality going to continue? This line needs a revamping IMO, and they’ve been milking this same design for over 10 years. I also don’t have a problem switching brands to something that measures better.
I can see the appeal of the Marantz 8805. If...
-You want 13 channels/2 subs
-Don't want amps inside
-Want balanced connections
-Want analog/legacy inputs
-Bullet proof/lack of bugs

Options are limited beyond 11 speakers/ 2 subs. Measurements are certainly not great, but if noise is limited and you can't hear hiss/hum from your seating position, it probably won't matter. This is not an excuse that it shoudn't be better, because it should at this price point. If SU can make a Denon 3700/4700/6700/8500 etc they certainly should be able to match or beat that in a dedicated processor. Or build a Denon variant...

If you want a good measuring, bullet proof unit with 13 speaker/ 2 subs, go with a Denon X8500, spring for the Audyssey PC app and enjoy. Either run it in full preamp mode, or use external amps for the LCR and use the internal amps for the rest.
The botique brands will always cost more than Denon/Marantz/Yamaha and sometimes as we have seen there can be significant software issues from from some brands such as Emotiva, Monoprice (boot issue), and Anthem (not sure how things are now but many issues at launch).

In the end if a unit is in the ball park Sinad of 100 (probably lower), I wouldn't think it would be a problem in real world use. Once you are at that point other factors become more important.. Some of mine...
-What is the EQ used? Does it have manual PEQ?
-Is subwoofer integration easy/well done
-Does it handle all of the codecs needed? Does it have DTS:X Pro?
-Does it have all the channels you need
-Is it bug free
-Does it do multiple zones
-Built in streaming (roon etc)
-Easy eough to install/use/configure
In the end I would never let Sinad keep me from installing/enjoying Atmos. I would just get a Denon X3700, use preamp mode, do 7.2.4 and be done if I didn't want to spend more or wasn't satisfied with the more botique brands.
Are you using or planning on donig Atmos?

D

Deleted member 43441

-Don't want amps inside

Options are limited beyond 11 speakers/ 2 subs. Measurements are certainly not great, but if noise is limited and you can't hear hiss/hum from your seating position, it probably won't matter. This is not an excuse that it shoudn't be better, because it should at this price point. If SU can make a Denon 3700/4700/6700/8500 etc they certainly should be able to match or beat that in a dedicated processor. Or build a Denon variant...

If you want a good measuring, bullet proof unit with 13 speaker/ 2 subs, go with a Denon X8500, spring for the Audyssey PC app and enjoy. Either run it in full preamp mode, or use external amps for the LCR and use the internal amps for the rest.
The botique brands will always cost more than Denon/Marantz/Yamaha and sometimes as we have seen there can be significant software issues from from some brands such as Emotiva, Monoprice (boot issue), and Anthem (not sure how things are now but many issues at launch).

In the end if a unit is in the ball park Sinad of 100 (probably lower), I wouldn't think it would be a problem in real world use. Once you are at that point other factors become more important.. Some of mine...
-Is it bug free
In the end I would never let Sinad keep me from installing/enjoying Atmos. I would just get a Denon X3700, use preamp mode, do 7.2.4 and be done if I didn't want to spend more or wasn't satisfied with the more botique brands.

I would really like to stay Denon/Marantz, and I think that maybe I’m expecting too much. Although I do believe that ASR is going to shake up the AVR/AVP industry.

Have you had any experience with the new Audyssey? If it’s out yet I’m not even sure. But I believe it is

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would really like to stay Denon/Marantz, and I think that maybe I’m expecting too much. Although I do believe that ASR is going to shake up the AVR/AVP industry.

Have you had any experience with the new Audyssey? If it’s out yet I’m not even sure. But I believe it is
Yes, the new windows app for Audyssey is out. You can read about it below.
I don't use Audyssey but if I did, I would opt for it for the flexibility it offers and ease of use.

D

Deleted member 43441

Yes, the new windows app for Audyssey is out. You can read about it below.
I don't use Audyssey but if I did, I would opt for it for the flexibility it offers and ease of use.

I have a love hate relationship with it. Good for home theater and not so good for two channel.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have the 8801 or 8802? If so I don't think either of those is compatible with the Audyssey App. Without the App or the new PC software you are stuck with full range correction, their 2 stock curves etc... With the Audyssey App or the new PC software, you can limit correct, add a room curve, disable Midrange Compensation dip. Unless you have/use the old audyssey pro kit, Audyssey is limited and in my opinion of limited value. With the Audyssey App or with the new software I believe it can be fine, in particular with limiting correction to 300hz, disabling midrange compensation, adding a room curve etc... I believe with/without the Audyssey App can be night and day difference...YMMV of course

D

Deleted member 43441

Do you have the 8801 or 8802? If so I don't think either of those is compatible with the Audyssey App. Without the App or the new PC software you are stuck with full range correction, their 2 stock curves etc... With the Audyssey App or the new PC software, you can limit correct, add a room curve, disable Midrange Compensation dip. Unless you have/use the old audyssey pro kit, Audyssey is limited and in my opinion of limited value. With the Audyssey App or with the new software I believe it can be fine, in particular with limiting correction to 300hz, disabling midrange compensation, adding a room curve etc... I believe with/without the Audyssey App can be night and day difference...YMMV of course

I appreciate this, and that’s what I was hearing, unfortunately I have the AV8801 and the app doesn’t work for mine.

Mines a dinosaur lol

D

Deleted member 43441

Maybe I should not have brushed off your Anthem! Checking out the review thread now it looks excellent. Performs as well as some 3 and 4 times the price.

How do you like it?

tparm

Forum Donor
Maybe I should not have brushed off your Anthem! Checking out the review thread now it looks excellent. Performs as well as some 3 and 4 times the price.

How do you like it?
I figured you'd notice the results at some point. ;) We all tend to like our most recent purchases better than the previous, right? But I'll say from user and overall quality of sound standpoints it is the best AVR/AVP I've had in my system. I had an older Marantz AVP, then a Denon x4700, then a Denon A110, then an RMC-1L and now the Anthem. The RMC-1L sounded better then the D&M products but all the little annoyances you hear about are true. Back in October I figured I'd call a few Anthem dealers and found the AVM, being tired of the Emotiva I decided to give it a try. I have no desire to replace the Anthem. ARC is intuitive and produces great results (I limit my correction and don't use it all for 2CH playback), the webUI is lovely and for my preferences it is important it has a pure analog path (the HTP-1 does not or it would have been on my list).

Really my only wish list items for Anthem would consist of balanced analog inputs (obviously that isn't going to happen) and an auto-sum like XT32 for dual subs (no bigggie, just use ARC Quick Measure). You'll see people complain that it doesn't auto adjust phase and polarity for subs, doesn't have an app for device control, doesn't have HDMI 2.1, doesn't have Auro3D and so on. I'd guess 90% of these people have never heard the AVM.

My subs have an app so I can use Quick Measure and play with phase and polarity to get real time results and save them, I don't have a need for 2.1, I don't use CEC, I don't use eARC, and I don't upmix content; my interest is sound quality, good room correction for lower frequencies and for the device to be intuitive to use.

I was pleased to see it performed well on multiple benches, to me that speaks more to build quality and engineering/implementation of components than sound quality. I had one of those great measuring DACs and as mentioned I owned a great measuring Denon AVR I used as a processor and neither of them sound as good, to my 50 year old less than golden ear, than the Anthem and my other DAC. To each their own and I did recently buy an NAD C298 2CH amp using Purifi modules, largely based on measurements, but also on several user reviews, and I love it.

D

Deleted member 43441

I figured you'd notice the results at some point. ;) We all tend to like our most recent purchases better than the previous, right? But I'll say from user and overall quality of sound standpoints it is the best AVR/AVP I've had in my system. I had an older Marantz AVP, then a Denon x4700, then a Denon A110, then an RMC-1L and now the Anthem. The RMC-1L sounded better then the D&M products but all the little annoyances you hear about are true. Back in October I figured I'd call a few Anthem dealers and found the AVM, being tired of the Emotiva I decided to give it a try. I have no desire to replace the Anthem. ARC is intuitive and produces great results (I limit my correction and don't use it all for 2CH playback), the webUI is lovely and for my preferences it is important it has a pure analog path (the HTP-1 does not or it would have been on my list).

Really my only wish list items for Anthem would consist of balanced analog inputs (obviously that isn't going to happen) and an auto-sum like XT32 for dual subs (no bigggie, just use ARC Quick Measure). You'll see people complain that it doesn't auto adjust phase and polarity for subs, doesn't have an app for device control, doesn't have HDMI 2.1, doesn't have Auro3D and so on. I'd guess 90% of these people have never heard the AVM.

My subs have an app so I can use Quick Measure and play with phase and polarity to get real time results and save them, I don't have a need for 2.1, I don't use CEC, I don't use eARC, and I don't upmix content; my interest is sound quality, good room correction for lower frequencies and for the device to be intuitive to use.

I was pleased to see it performed well on multiple benches, to me that speaks more to build quality and engineering/implementation of components than sound quality. I had one of those great measuring DACs and as mentioned I owned a great measuring Denon AVR I used as a processor and neither of them sound as good, to my 50 year old less than golden ear, than the Anthem and my other DAC. To each their own and I did recently buy an NAD C298 2CH amp using Purifi modules, largely based on measurements, but also on several user reviews, and I love it.

You were right, I have to concede lol.

I’ll tell you for the money, I’m very tempted to pull the trigger on this. Especially if the room correction is as good as I’ve heard it is.

I’ll be watching what happens with this.

My question is is the is the new AVM 90 going to be spec’d… even better? I asked that over on the AVM 70 review thread.

It’s refreshing to see that I’m not going to get charged $10,000 or more for decent specs.

tparm

Forum Donor
You were right, I have to concede lol.

I’ll tell you for the money, I’m very tempted to pull the trigger on this. Especially if the room correction is as good as I’ve heard it is.

I’ll be watching what happens with this.

My question is is the is the new AVM 90 going to be spec’d… even better? I asked that over on the AVM 70 review thread.

It’s refreshing to see that I’m not going to get charged $10,000 or more for decent specs.
:D
I don't know about spending the extra on the 90. It does have 4 discrete sub outs if that is important to someone and yes, I am sure it'll have a better DAC which may mean it measures a few dB better, but in practice I am not sure it will really sound better. I do agree that both of the Anthem units are value purchases in their respective classes.

For what its worth, I live right down the street from one of Crutchfield's two retail stores and they haven't had 70s in for quite some time. They are still kinda hard to find but check with smaller local dealers and you may have better luck.

D

Deleted member 43441

:D
I don't know about spending the extra on the 90. It does have 4 discrete sub outs if that is important to someone and yes, I am sure it'll have a better DAC which may mean it measures a few dB better, but in practice I am not sure it will really sound better. I do agree that both of the Anthem units are value purchases in their respective classes.

For what its worth, I live right down the street from one of Crutchfield's two retail stores and they haven't had 70s in for quite some time. They are still kinda hard to find but check with smaller local dealers and you may have better luck.

I’m on the fence, and 7000 or 8000 is a lot of cash. I run 3 subs… two of them in phase with one another, and the other one 180°. That being said daisy chaining them is fine for me, and that only takes up one sub output. That would not be a dealbreaker for me having three separate sub outputs. I don’t lack any bass.

What I would like to do is buy this on a closeout for less than $3000… I’ll wait haha.

I bought a set of Revel F52s about eight years ago for less than half price when the new line came out.

Keep talking guys you almost got me convinced. Although my wife would not agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 43441

Marantz support was not helpful, and they told me if I like my present Marantz I will certainly like the 8805 or 8805A. I’m sure I would, but I was just hoping for something that measured better.

Still hopeful, and I don’t mind waiting a year or two.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Thank you for the detailed review.

Disappointing in my opinion for that kind of money. I will be hanging onto my older Marantz pre-pro, until someone makes a $3000-$5000
AVP that measures well. honestly we shouldn’t have to pay any more than that for something very good.

I contacted Marantz customer service over this, because I’m going to be in the market for an AVP within the next year or two. So my question was is this kind of quality going to continue? This line needs a revamping IMO, and they’ve been milking this same design for over 10 years. I also don’t have a problem switching brands to something that measures better.
I always like to point out my friend, to be clear I am a believer in measuring devices and competent design.

I have an amp which I bought open box for 20 dollars, it isn’t class D. Never thought much of it, I do actually and ironically enjoy listening to it. It’s an older amp, and guess what Amir actually measured it and the measurements were super bad... 36 dB sinad and horrible FFT.

This clearly explains to me that no matter you listen unless a major flaw exists or clipping you won’t be able to really notice.

Just want to keep stating this so people understand why people come on here and argue about Amir’s measurements. Because even the worst of the worst doesn’t stand but you can tell when something is amazing.

krishnaprasadas

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a Marantz 8805A, Just wanted to check, which DAC is used in the latest 2022 Jan manufactured model(AV 8805A).
Hope someone can answer it here. Thanks in advance.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Teardown

Mars2k

-Don't want amps inside

-Is it bug free
You are correct....plus a little and minus a little :)
I've owned several 88xx, and 77xx Marantz processors with 8805A being the most recent. I've own several Anthem processors with the AVM70 the most recent. I use them strictly for 2 channel analogue pass through and surround processing. None had stellar DAC performance. In fairness DACs are all getting so good now that slicing and dicing that pie is getting harder. By far I liked the sound of the Marantz product over Anthem. Everything about the heftier 8805A seemed to be better put together. I don't buy surround gear for stellar 2 channel DAC performance. I buy them for surround process and system switching.

I have owned some respectable outboard streaming/digital gear. Currently I have a fully modded Modwright Oppo 205 UDP which is like a digital Swiss army knife, it does everything well, and also some good Lumen dacs. The right Hi res files through either the Oppo or Lumens analogue out to straight analogue pass-through on the Maranz offered tons of transcendent musical goodness. Really good.

Some of my recent configurations have included both Anthem and Marantz gear used strictly for surround processing by using them to pass the front 2 channels through some worthy pre-amps. I have hooked my vinyl rig and the Oppo 205 balanced analogue output to a either a Bryston BP26, a Bryston BR 20 or then as another choice a Topping Pre/ext 90 rig. The Brystons ALWAYS sounded better. Essentially an outboard analogue system away from of all that noisy surround digital stuff.

About the Denon, Yes better DACS, still no Roon and no matter what, the amps you are paying for in that unit, while respectable, cannot touch good outboard stuff. In my mind if I have to pay for something I’m not going to use I would rather pay for the DAC I’m not going to use (cheap) than the 11 channels of amplifiers I’m not going to use (expensive). This site tend s to value DAC performance to the exclusion of almost everything else. I’m not knocking the Denon these are strictly my observations. The Denon is a great choice for some people.

I’m moving on now to a Trinnov Altitude-16 specifically because it has respectable DACs and fantastic processing power beyond the DACs to correct just about any issues related to my system or room or media source. Every review you see except here discusses how this unit sounds in one's environment. Here ther is a begrudging nod to respectible numbers with implication that a $20 dollar dac on Amazon could do better. You have to broaden your perspective to what the system can do as a whole and what it actually sounds like.

This site has a penchant for valuing DAC numbers over sound and short sheeting everything else. DACs have gotten so cheap. All of the pre-amp/processors mention here are incredibly complex systems that do a whole lot more than DACcing (is that a word?) I don’t buy them for their DACS. I buy them for their switching and controlling features. I want to enjoy a variety of entrainment selections. Movies, music videos, surround audio, 2 channel audio both digital and vinyl. If I do that I have to do it all in one room where multiple systems are impractical. BTW the Topping pre-amp so favorably revued on this site sounds thin and forward to me. Numbers are not everything

Top Bottom