• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

Newman

Major Contributor
I have no idea what "test controls were unbalanced in the opposite direction" even means. All I know is there are balanced outputs, and it goes without saying that the levels of all channels need to be balanced.
Try re-reading my posts after looking up the meaning of scientific control. Your listening tests are not controlled. So they are liable to be corrupted. For example, you think you did a listening test Denon vs Marantz that was all about the sonic attributes of the sound waves in the room. But to actually do that, and not be corrupted by other sonic factors, and even non-sonic factors like bias, you had to do a much more strictly controlled listening test.

An example: if the M was even slightly louder than the D, then you are very likely to prefer the M. That's an unbalanced test control. But if it was "unbalanced in the other direction", then you are very likely to prefer the D.

But that is only an example. There are numerous other ways that uncontrolled listening tests can mislead us.

pedrob

I have no interest whatsoever in scientific control. All I care about is what sounds best to me in my environment with my equipment.

To be honest, when these High Definition Amplifier Modules are talked about as buffers, I have very little confidence in some of the posts.

marantz_av8805a_hdam_400x400.png

Newman

Major Contributor
I have no interest whatsoever in scientific control. All I care about is what sounds best to me in my environment with my equipment.
In that case, like I said,
Your listening tests are not controlled. So they are liable to be corrupted.
...and worthless even to you, if your interest is in the sonic attributes of the sound waves themselves. Because, like I said,
An example: if the M was even slightly louder than the D, then you are very likely to prefer the M. That's an unbalanced test control. But if it was "unbalanced in the other direction", then you are very likely to prefer the D.
IMHO this site deserves better than everyone's personal anecdotes that are the exact equivalent of a review of expensive interconnects on TAS or Stereophile. Don't you agree?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case, like I said,

...and worthless even to you, if your interest is in the sonic attributes of the sound waves themselves. Because, like I said,

IMHO this site deserves better than everyone's personal anecdotes that are the exact equivalent of a review of expensive interconnects on TAS or Stereophile. Don't you agree?
You can't convince people who is not interested in scientific control. Not saying there is anything wrong with such approach, to those who believe in something, whatever the reasons, or lack of, real, or not, doesn't matter to them right, as to them, it's real even if the perceived is purely due to whatever was planted in their mind by, for example, giving them a seemingly good reasons (not saying this the case with the OP, just using an example scenario...

Newman

Major Contributor
I know, I know. But we are on ASR. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Absolutely !!!
You can't convince people who is not interested in scientific control. Not saying there is anything wrong with such approach, to those who believe in something, whatever the reasons, or lack of, real, or not, doesn't matter to them right, as to them, it's real even if the perceived is purely due to whatever was planted in their mind by, for example, giving them a seemingly good reasons (not saying this the case with the OP, just using an example scenario...
If they won't listen and learn, I see no reason not to send them on their way.
How many times will you listen to someone tell you the earth is flat before you turn off their microphone?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I know, I know. But we are on ASR. :cool:
Still - we aren't all "instrumented" for testing...

My own amplifier testing was limited to a Radio Shack SPL meter for level matching... and was all done sighted.

We can acknowledge the imperfections in our test regime, while still recording our subjective responses....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Still - we aren't all "instrumented" for testing...
That's why we have pro's like Amir and a site like this.
They separate the Good, Bad, and Fugly so we don't waste our money purchasing blind on garbage. ;)

Top Bottom