• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV8805 and Audyssey MultEQ XT32

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hey all

With the latest Audyssey versions in AVR's, like Marantz AV8805, is it possible to limit Audssey's digital room EQ to 300 Hz (or whatever one wants) for example? And keep frequencies over 300 Hz (or whatever one wants) un-touched by Audssey?

Thanks in advance

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor

Thanks! Nice

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.14.22 pm.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Definitely. The app makes it easy to create multiple EQ profiles from a single successful calibration. In my case, I adjusted the EQ cut-off frequency for each "pair" of speakers, front L/C/R, surround L/R, front height L/R and rear height L/R to find an optimum solution.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

While you are at it, change the poor default curve. It should not be flat, it should look somewhat like this:

attachment.php

Of course if your bass goes deeper, no reason to limit it.

Also, try not restricting the EQ, but turn off Midrange Compensation (MRC) =, which is the 3dB dip at 2kHZ, and try adjust the target in the image above, then toggle Audyssey on/off and see which you prefer. Adjust the bass and treble to taste of course, but it likely isn't too different.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While you are at it, change the poor default curve. It should not be flat, it should look somewhat like this:
A good house curve but a bit exaggerated IMHO. I'd limit the roll-off to about 5-6 db.
YMMV

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd limit the roll-off to about 5-6 db.

In the treble? If so, you are looking at the measurement graph for the speaker, the light purple line (labeled "LCR + Sub Target" in the legend) is what I am referring to, which shows 20kHz as around -3dB from 1000Hz.

Now, that is an old Harman target (below in black), as far as I know, this is their current target (below in blue):
160503_Blog_AcousticBasisHarmanTargetCurve_Photo_Img5.jpg

It's for over-ear headphones (using their specific head, so can’t translate to say InnerFidelity's measurements), but it should be a 1:1 translation to decibel level differences between the speaker target linked earlier, so a bit more bass and a bit less treble, which seeing as how 20kHz being -5dB below 1000Hz is a common starting point, makes sense.

Again, its a curve that's supposed to be good for the masses. Individual target curves are gonna differ slightly, but this should be a good starting point.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's for over-ear headphones (using their specific head, so cant translate to say InnerFidelity's measurements), but it should be a 1:1 translation to speakers

Thanks for all the info. Do Harman also say this should be a direct translation to speakers? @Floyd Toole

Top Bottom