• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor)

simbloke

Forum Donor

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"Aight guys I found some leftover dsp chips laying around in the storeroom. When wiping those from dust they should do fine. I also found an almost legible spec sheet from 2005 that you can use. Just stack these things onto some boards and start shipping. Just etch the pcb traceswhere you feel like, oh and and make use of the cheap parts!"
- Marantz exec probably.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Marantz SR7008 which I hated it because it sounded so harsh that would made my ears bleed. That's why I went with an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live. Then like 3 years ago I decided to try a Denon X6500H and oh boy, I was in shock after listening to it and amazed how great it sounded. To the point that I sold the XMC-1 and still have the X6500H in my bedroom now because after trying unsuccessfully an ARCAM AV40 and JBL SDP-55, decided to get the Denon X6700H and use it in pre amp mode. To my ears, the only thing that can get close to a Denon X6700H currently is the Trinnov.

I guess you are one of those who are more sensitive to distortions than others regardless of whether the harmonics are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th......:D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes HDAM has been the topology they brag upon for more than a decade. Something like 20 years without change. They meet claimed spec and that spec has not changed since the introduction of the HDAM.

Specs say:

1629546685081.png

0.008% THD is about -82 dB, no specs for THD+N but that would have to be a little worse, may be -79 dB, we don't really know?

So I guess you may be right (could be wrong too depending on the noise part) that they meet specs based on Amir's measurement, but barely..:D

Regardless, I think the distortions+noise level is good enough to be inaudible to most people.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They say that this is the "tuning" performed by the Marantz "sound engineers." Fortunately there is some sign that the latest stuff is not going in this direction anymore.

You measured the SR8015 (yes, just a poor jammed pack AVR:D),and iirc it did measure way better, thanks to the upgraded HDAMs. Too bad even the $5,000 AV8805 prepro don't have the same upgraded HDAMs, may be the AV8805A has, but most likely not, based on what someone noticed from the video tear down.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, this is embarrassing. I had reviewed this unit before! The owner said it would be 7706 and I did not pay attention to the model number as I did the review just now.

Good news is that it performs very similarly to the first sample.....
And like before, HDAM does not fail to disappoint but of course its die hard fans will argue that this is what music sounds like!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You measured the SR8015 (yes, just a poor jammed pack AVR:D),and iirc it did measure way better, thanks to the upgraded HDAMs. Too bad even the $5,000 AV8805 prepro don't have the same upgraded HDAMs, may be the AV8805A has, but most likely not, based on what someone noticed from the video tear down.
Wait "upgraded HDAM"? I wonder if this means HDAM in name only but the actual processor is missing completely and all that remains is a light that says HDAM.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And like before, HDAM does not fail to disappoint but of course its die hard fans will argue that this is what music sounds like!

Yeah, and remember people like to say its not the THD but the profile of the harmonics, such as 2nd harmonics, 4th, even order harmonics would add warmth blablabla.. Yet if we look at the FFT, there are clearly more odd order harmonics than the even order ones.

1629548638216.png

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, and remember people like to say its not the THD but the profile of the harmonics, such as 2nd harmonics, 4th, even order harmonics would add warmth blablabla.. Yet if we look at the FFT, there are clearly more odd order harmonics than the even order ones.

View attachment 148763
WOW so imagine if HDAM was "done right" and focused only on even order harmonics, like Nelson Pass does

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OK, this is embarrassing. I had reviewed this unit before! The owner said it would be 7706 and I did not pay attention to the model number as I did the review just now.

Good news is that it performs very similarly to the first sample.....

Why does the other AV7705 have a higher SINAD (92db)? (edit: I see now, measured at lower voltage..that's odd because usually performance goes up due to noise not rising)

Really hope Denon will release processors, because Sound United just offering distortion producing garbage in terms of processors is a joke.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a Marantz AV7706 to be tested, but the retailer sent the wrong product. I really hope the new model will perform better, because I get an awful hum when I connect my Genelecs to the unbalanced output of my Denon receiver. (I know other people are able to use a Denon receiver as a preamp, I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with it.)

That's weird, I have had multiple Denon avrs and never experienced such hum with any of my speakers. Is there anything special about your Genelecs, such as an active part/subwoofer build in?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a Marantz AV7706 to be tested, but the retailer sent the wrong product. I really hope the new model will perform better, because I get an awful hum when I connect my Genelecs to the unbalanced output of my Denon receiver. (I know other people are able to use a Denon receiver as a preamp, I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with it.)
Try plugging everything from source to AVR to speakers on a single power strip to test. If the hum goes away it is the house wiring. Power socket grounds are not wired properly.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

I had a very nasty hum coming out of my subwoofers and speakers and found that it was caused by the Xfinity DVR box. Unplugging the DVR's HDMI cable from the Denon or unplugging the coax cable from the DVR got rid of the hum right away. The permanent solution was to put a TII 220 Ground Loop Isolator and just like magic the hum was gone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Q6URO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=A1SRR0B7QVPEN&psc=1

johnhopfensperger

Forum Donor
I had a very nasty hum coming out of my subwoofers and speakers and found that it was caused by the Xfinity DVR box. Unplugging the DVR's HDMI cable from the Denon or unplugging the coax cable from the DVR got rid of the hum right away. The permanent solution was to put a TII 220 Ground Loop Isolator and just like magic the hum was gone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Q6URO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=A1SRR0B7QVPEN&psc=1
I'll check the hdmi devices plugged into the receiver, thanks for the idea...

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Aimed at old timers who say 'Marantz is a good name' because their dad had one in 1967
Better be careful who you call old timer. We have a significant majority of Old Timers as Members. If your lucky enough, someday you may count yourself in this exclusive group! ;)

Tks

Major Contributor
Hot take but I actually appreciate legacy connections wherever I can find them.

Besides that, this company is dumb. Like what are they even doing anymore with thwir products? Failint virtually every spec has to be on purpose at this point.

Aside from the I/O Amir doesnt care for (something other audio companies should look to AVRs for), this is just an epic fail.

Jbrunwa

Specs say:

View attachment 148759

0.008% THD is about -82 dB, no specs for THD+N but that would have to be a little worse, may be -79 dB, we don't really know?

So I guess you may be right (could be wrong too depending on the noise part) that they meet specs based on Amir's measurement, but barely..:D

Regardless, I think the distortions+noise level is good enough to be inaudible to most people.
Likely, but all of these measurements are without Dolby, Audyssey or other surround processing. If this is the quality level for the underlying sound engine, what should we expect from the engineering for the rest of the implementation?

Top Bottom