• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor)

johnhopfensperger

Forum Donor
I ordered a Marantz AV7706 to be tested, but the retailer sent the wrong product. I really hope the new model will perform better, because I get an awful hum when I connect my Genelecs to the unbalanced output of my Denon receiver. (I know other people are able to use a Denon receiver as a preamp, I'm not sure why I have so much trouble with it.)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I had a Marantz SR7008 which I hated it because it sounded so harsh that would made my ears bleed. That's why I went with an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live. Then like 3 years ago I decided to try a Denon X6500H and oh boy, I was in shock after listening to it and amazed how great it sounded. To the point that I sold the XMC-1 and still have the X6500H in my bedroom now because after trying unsuccessfully an ARCAM AV40 and JBL SDP-55, decided to get the Denon X6700H and use it in pre amp mode. To my ears, the only thing that can get close to a Denon X6700H currently is the Trinnov.

YSC

Major Contributor
OK, this is embarrassing. I had reviewed this unit before! The owner said it would be 7706 and I did not pay attention to the model number as I did the review just now.

Good news is that it performs very similarly to the first sample.....
What could be more frustrating when you lift a hearty weight up, spent hours testing and found that you’ve done it before ;)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well whenever I point out that something is good or bad, my statistician sister would would say;

what??
based on some internet review with a sample size of 1?

Hard to argue with that…

so yeah, always value to testing multiple samples.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

respice finem

Major Contributor
As it measures, it's quite a waste of good parts...
Seeing similarly disastrous measurements, I tend to think a part of the problem might be too densely packed internals, but this clearly shows it isn't necessarily so. The interesting part for me is, what is the exact cause for this level of noise and distortion in many AVR/AVP?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The interesting part for me is, what is the exact cause for this level of noise and distortion in many AVR/AVP?
They have this discrete buffer stage -- "HDAM" -- which they are proud of which they stick in the analog audio path resulting in higher noise and distortion:

1629520273354.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As it measures, it's quite a waste of good parts...
Seeing similarly disastrous measurements, I tend to think a part of the problem might be too densely packed internals, but this clearly shows it isn't necessarily so. The interesting part for me is, what is the exact cause for this level of noise and distortion in many AVR/AVP?
Maybe it's all that DSP and ICs they have. But then it's similar to the Denon DSP and ICs I was led to believe. There's little else to this unit other than a smallish power supply and some front panel display and it's driver. Like @amirm said they are voicing the unit and made it this way. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a similar unit. These are designed for 2.5 v rms output. It matches their amps. And you get better (not great, but not so terrible) performance at that level. I also notice you have volume at 82 db. Referefence -20 db is a setting of 60. So 82 should probably have been 80 db for testing.

I like, many others, find the base level performance of pre/pros appalling and triply so considering what they cost. Marantz is just phoning in good enough, not great performance.

Yet I find this level of performance doesn't seem to intrude on my enjoying what I'm listening to. I do have other ways to listen which are much cleaner for comparison. IOW, your speakers still aren't this good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They have this discrete buffer stage -- "HDAM" -- which they are proud of which they stick in the analog audio path resulting in higher noise and distortion:

View attachment 148741
Yes HDAM has been the topology they brag upon for more than a decade. Something like 20 years without change. They meet claimed spec and that spec has not changed since the introduction of the HDAM.

respice finem

Major Contributor

View attachment 148741
Ah, yes, I know such attitudes from my profession https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idée_fixe_(psychology) ;)
Back in the old days, they did similarly stick to transmitters in their amps... So this means, probably, prefer Denon.
I myself still have an oldish Marantz, but without these HDAM (the NR1608). Lucky me, it seems.

tktran303

Forum Donor

View attachment 148741
there’s a new Marantz stereo amp released last year with Hypex NC500 modules and HDAM to add flavour to their Model 30 amplifier. Sigh

DuncanTodd

They say that this is the "tuning" performed by the Marantz "sound engineers." Fortunately there is some sign that the latest stuff is not going in this direction anymore.
The SR8015 you reviewed was the one with better showings. Does it also use HDAM? Some wondered if these improvements don't just mean Marantz has turned into a rebranded Denon product and lost it's "audiophile distortion" feature many seem to gravitate towards.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
OK, this is embarrassing. I had reviewed this unit before! The owner said it would be 7706 and I did not pay attention to the model number as I did the review just now.

Precious time has been wasted :p. On a different note you should measure one of the KI Signature designs. That will be the final nail in the coffin for Marantz :D

GWolfman

Forum Donor

Wonder why it performed markedly worse than the first...

respice finem

Major Contributor
there’s a new Marantz stereo amp released last year with Hypex NC500 modules and HDAM to add flavour to their Model 30 amplifier. Sigh
Back in the 80s/90s, unofficial mods were all the hype (as for CD players and such).
Maybe this case calls for one: throw the *bleep* out to improve the amp :D

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the X6700H (which has 11ch internal amps) has cleaner pre-outs and even though it’s RCA it still has better performance at 4Vrms than the AV7705’s XLR.

I think Sound United should really have a talking to with the Marantz, as their sister company offering a similarly priced yet more fully featured product that performs better is not a good look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom