• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

bigguyca

What an odd design >_>

View attachment 49538

As you may have determined that is the link from the front HDMI input to the an HDMI interface IC at the back of the unit.

Denon/Marantz converted many of it units from a combinations of cables and circuit board traces on the digital board, to a cable directly linking the front panel to a socket close to the destination IC. The cable is frankly a cleaner design although it doesn't look great. Getting the high speed data off part of the digital board might have been the goal - who knows?... Some effort was required to make the change so there was likely a reason.

The same change was made in the AV8805, where a guess is that the cable facilitates support of the future digital board swap to HDMI 2.1.

Added: Yamaha removed the front panel HDMI input from CX-5200 AVP and TX-3080 AVR that was included in the previous generation. Perhaps these front panel HDMI inputs, which are quite a distance from the HDMI input chips, have had issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoting myself - always a bad sign...
I should add that probably the big dog in the restriction of access to software solutions are the studios. They are still paranoid about unconstrained access to content to stop pirating. Hence HDCP. Any vendor of HT equipment must guarantee that the raw digital information is never allowed out into the wild. So a software based audio solution would somehow need to make it impossible to sniff the audio. Which is basically impossible. Same of course with the video signal. This is just plain silly, open up any AVR and there are I2S feeds going into the DACs. Any fool with a soldering iron could get the audio out of the box if they desired.
This is why you never see AV processors with digital outputs to allow the user to feed their own DACs. Something you might imagine the ultra high end enthusiasts might like. Of course the dirty secret is that it would not be at all difficult to construct an add in board that created either S/PDIF outputs, or just installed much higher quality DACs.

+1 on this .

But I do have a pre/pro a MeridianG68J that does output all channels digitally the caveat is that it is in proprietary format for their own digital speakers that includes encryption and additional data such as volume control data.

For a while in the early 2000’s there was diy mods that could be done to a DVDA or DVD players to get 5.1 ch digital out via discrete multiple spdif , you could buy these board and diy your own player . Or send in your player for modifications.
I think this whole business is gone now .

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Audyssey XT32 (with the $20 app to correct for the poor native target curves), especially with Dynamic EQ, is more than enough to sway me from any other brand, even if it had Dirac or similar. The other room corrections need to implement a a similar feature for me to even consider them.
My Integra has XT32. Are you saying I can (possibly) get the app and change the curves? I believe pro installers had that ability with my preamp...HMMM. Thanks.

Krobar

Would be good if Amir could get hold of a Denon AVP-A1HD, every other Prepro I have had suffered from some noise except the AVP, would lend mine but am in the UK and they weigh about 30Kg.

Tks

Major Contributor
As you may have determined that is the link from the front HDMI input to the an HDMI interface IC at the back of the unit.

Denon/Marantz converted many of it units from a combinations of cables and circuit board traces on the digital board, to a cable directly linking the front panel to a socket close to the destination IC. The cable is frankly a cleaner design although it doesn't look great. Getting the high speed data off part of the digital board might have been the goal - who knows?... Some effort was required to make the change so there was likely a reason.

The same change was made in the AV8805, where a guess is that the cable facilitates support of the future digital board swap to HDMI 2.1.

Added: Yamaha removed the front panel HDMI input from CX-5200 AVP and TX-3080 AVR that was included in the previous generation. Perhaps these front panel HDMI inputs, which are quite a distance from the HDMI input chips, have had issues.

I thought that was cool. I'm used to PCB parts always being in some sort of square configuration in parallel with the sides of a PCB board (there are of course exceptions as we see here, and things like cpu's that are mounted on a 45 degree angle when looking at it from a top-down view of the board).

I just haven't seen nor thought these guys would take the time to come up with not only a cleaner angle so the cable isn't protruding into the sides of a case for example, but also a cutout on the PCB board itself (as opposed to most boards with are squares and rectangles for the most part).

I don't know about costs, but I would imagine this possibly cost a bit more to get done this way perhaps. Just interesting to see really.

J-Sine

This is sourced from using 7703 in a 7.1.4 channel installation. I do not believe the capabilities have improved in newer models.

Real world experience vs copy pasted Manual is noteworthy. I will agree that it is very unlikely the auro-matic section of firmware has been updated in the newer models of 770x even though the outputs are there to do 7.2.4. A good FYI for those contemplating the 7705 vs the 8805.
I would however feel deceived by the marantz manual. Fortunately thanks to amirm, I will save several thousands not buying either units and stick to my 4400h with likely 83+ sinad(like the 3500) and connecting it to a better amp. Not much choice for AURO.

770x= 5.2.4 auro-matic upmixing akm4458 2.4v usable out 92db sinad
880x=7.2.4 auro-matic upmixing multi-akm4490 4v usable out 92db sinad

Tks

Major Contributor
Why? I know of one (expensive and excellent) processor that literally has a Raspberry Pi board inside for the control functions, with standard cables connected from it to the audio boards.

The diagnal cuttout in a PCB, just visually striking is all.

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Real world experience vs copy pasted Manual is noteworthy. I will agree that it is very unlikely the auro-matic section of firmware has been updated in the newer models of 770x even though the outputs are there to do 7.2.4. A good FYI for those contemplating the 7705 vs the 8805.
I would however feel deceived by the marantz manual. Fortunately thanks to amirm, I will save several thousands not buying either units and stick to my 4400h with likely 83+ sinad(like the 3500) and connecting it to a better amp. Not much choice for AURO.

770x= 5.2.4 auro-matic upmixing akm4458 2.4v usable out 92db sinad
880x=7.2.4 auro-matic upmixing multi-akm4490 4v usable out 92db sinad

The 3500 has a 94dbs SINAD unbalanced output at 1.2v, so not so bad to attach a good power amp.

Fers66

Cheers Amir!
Thanks for taking your time with all the objetive reviews of DACS/AMPS/Receivers/Processors/Speakers...much aprecciated
What a great time to live...Absolutely not looking good for manufactures/Specialized Review...
I´m currently building a HTPC system...and your reviews are shaping all my decisions... =)

m8o

Forum Donor
Dang ... I should have bought the Emotiva. lol

Nathan Raymond

Quoting myself - always a bad sign...
I should add that probably the big dog in the restriction of access to software solutions are the studios. They are still paranoid about unconstrained access to content to stop pirating. Hence HDCP. Any vendor of HT equipment must guarantee that the raw digital information is never allowed out into the wild. So a software based audio solution would somehow need to make it impossible to sniff the audio. Which is basically impossible. Same of course with the video signal. This is just plain silly, open up any AVR and there are I2S feeds going into the DACs. Any fool with a soldering iron could get the audio out of the box if they desired.
This is why you never see AV processors with digital outputs to allow the user to feed their own DACs. Something you might imagine the ultra high end enthusiasts might like. Of course the dirty secret is that it would not be at all difficult to construct an add in board that created either S/PDIF outputs, or just installed much higher quality DACs.

The attempts at controlling media with such a steel grip hurt marketplaces. When people rip their Blu-Rays into DRM-free h.264/h.265 (for streaming from their personal Plex servers in their home to their LAN and offsite on their mobile devices for instance), they only want to work off the original full bitrate data with all available streams from the discs at greater than realtime and do not want to work off of lower quality realtime capture of a limited subset of decompressed content streams (which is what HDCP protects). HDCP doesn't actually protect anything that any everyday person cares about in the real world, the Macrovision protection tax/racket was created back in the VHS days as a videotape copy protection scheme, was ported over to DVD players (as a bit of metadata that could be turned on in the mastering process if a studio/content producer paid a fee to Macrovision on a per-unit sale that then activated the same analog output signal compromises via a Macrovision chip included in every DVD player). This might have made some nominal impact on curbing casual piracy back in the '90s, but the continuation of this brain-dead philosophy of blocking realtime copying via the very cumbersome HDCP which adds egregious handshake overhead and complexity is just painful to see in the modern world. The only people it's really helping are the ones pocketing the licensing fees from this tech and the big companies/conglomerates/private equity firms that are able to use their deep pockets to pay the the DRM cartel their money and keep the little guys from competing against them.

The movie industry has a history of cartels, going all the way back to the turn of the century when Edison created the Motion Picture Patents Company (aka the Edison Trust), as the culmination of his years of litigation, having built a warchest of patents by suing competitors out of business and buying out their intellectual property when they folded. Working in conjunction with the National Board of Censorship, the MPPC cartel for a while created a single point of control for all of motion pictures in the USA, not just by blocking out competition from foreign films, and it seriously stunted the marketplace. The MPPC required all movie making equipment to be purchased from the trust, and every theater owner to pay a weekly licensing fee, capped films at 20 minutes, and banned film credits from naming stars so that they could discourage them from asking for more money by suppressing their celebrity and clout. While the cartel was eventually dissolved, it led to a number of developments that ended up changing the course of the motion picture industry. Hollywood was created in reaction to Edison's cartel (which was based in New Jersey), and besides having good year-round weather for making films, it was a way to legally get as far away from Edison as possible by being under the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The cartel's restrictions led Carl Laemmle, a German immigrant who started off putting all his money into running a nickelodeon, into creating Independent Motion Picture Company so he could supply his growing theater business with films that that marketplace couldn't, and managed to survive 289 infringement suits from the Edison Trust (as well as physical attacts to on-set and in-theater equipment by paid thugs). Lamelle eventually consolidated IMP with other independent studios to form the Universal Film Manufacturing Company, which became Universal Pictures. Hungarian immigrant Adolph Zukor defied the cartel and screened the first full-length drama in the United States (a four-reel silent film from France), which led him to create the Famous Players Film Company, which became Paramount Pictures. Hungarian born Vilmos Fuchs, aka William Fox, created the studio that became 20th Century Fox, and he and Lamelle were the ones who filed antitrust actions against the Edison Trust that led to it being ruled a monopoly and ultimately dissolved.

I wish more people would learn the lessons of history and not repeat the same mistakes.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dang ... I should have bought the Emotiva. lol
A AVP? I don't know about that. Everything I've read about Emo Pre/Pro's is that they have been swamped with operational bugs.
My Marantz 7701 and 7703 have both functioned flawlessly throughout my entire ownership.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would prefer a software solution regarding AV processing. You'd just need a PC and a multichannel DAC and be done for a long time:
  • need more channels: buy more DACs
  • need support of newer decoders: update the processing software
  • somehow the CPU gets too slow with modern decoders: get a new motherboard
I know this will not happen in the near futute, but just let me dream a little bit, OK?:)
This can be done with JRiver Media Center. I've used the JRiver together with a Lynx Two-B sound card this way (which unfortunately died last year). This was a transparent sounding setup for a fairly low cost. Personally I'm not willing to purchase an expensive product like a Datasat sound procesessor.

But JRiver has completely failed to write a proper setup guide. It's an encredible powerful software and can also be used as crossover to active speakers, but these guys haven't learned how to educate people in how to use it. You basically have to go to the forum, ask and hope a person will guide you correctly. At least that was the case last time I checked.

m8o

Forum Donor
A AVP? I don't know about that. Everything I've read about Emo Pre/Pro's is that they have been swamped with operational bugs.
My Marantz 7701 and 7703 have both functioned flawlessly throughout my entire ownership.
Okay. Got it.

And I'm upgrading from a _ 7001 _. ;) (maybe its 7005 ... I forget and it's not here to check .. but, it's old.) That was another dimension in clarity and detail from the Onkyo 939 it replaced. Just said the previous as the SINAD is so disappointing here.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay. Got it.

And I'm upgrading from a _ 7001 _. ;) (maybe its 7005 ... I forget and it's not here to check .. but, it's old.) That was another dimension in clarity and detail from the Onkyo 939 it replaced. Just said the previous as the SINAD is so disappointing here.
I am an old bloke but as long as distortion is less than 0.1% and the hiss at least 80dB down I can't hear it, so this unit would be, to all intents and purposes, perfect as far as I can hear.

Top Bottom