• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, the Denon is better. Whether the differences are audible depends on the circumstances. How calm is your room (noise level), how loud do you want to play (max SPL), how sensitive are the speakers (with horn speakers you may hear hiss/hum). In a typical home situation probably not, in a dedicated home theater maybe yes.
I just got the Khadas Tone Board and I like how the Khadas Tone Board sounds directly connected to my Parasound A21 amp. I guess using AV8801 as preamp would degrade the sound quality of KTB?

Other than Denon is a better choice, what other preamp would you suggest to place between KTB and my amp? Thanks!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You don't. I discussed this on a different thread but with my 7701 & 7703 into Adcom GFA-545 Mk 2, I could stick my ear in the tweeter horn of my HSU HB1 MK2s and not hear anything. Now the same is true of my 7703/545 and JBL HDI-3600.
I guess it would be possible with my 104db efficient Klipsch La Scala's but sadly I don't have them any more. :(
For music, what do you currently use for preamp?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For music, what do you currently use for preamp?
My Marantz AV7703.
I have a Emotiva DC-1 DAC which has a volume control and can be used as a minimalist preamp. I have at various times tested listening to the DAC plugged straight into my L & R ch power amp and compared it against the sound of the 7703 with all processing shut off. I couldn't hear any difference in sound quality. Since the switchover takes some bit of time and can't be done in a level matched instant switchover manner, it is possible I could then focus in on some differences, but in any case I believe the difference would be extremely subtle. For me that doesn't justify the bother of switching the cables, etc,. Then on top of that the loss of Audyssey room correction and the other enhancements available from the Pre/Pro makes it a negative move in enjoyment level for me. You should understand that I rarely listen in a pure 2ch configuration any more and almost always use some form of 5.1 or more upsampling software. I've only make the "DAC only" listening test purely out of curiosity after the measuring reports showed some negative issues.
YMMV ;)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the Khadas Tone Board and I like how the Khadas Tone Board sounds directly connected to my Parasound A21 amp. I guess using AV8801 as preamp would degrade the sound quality of KTB?
Yes, I think so.
Other than Denon is a better choice, what other preamp would you suggest to place between KTB and my amp? Thanks!
For 2-channel get an RME ADI-2 DAC and use it as DAC/preamp (skip the KTB). Use the RME's EQ as room EQ and you're done for good. If you need analog inputs as well the RME ADI-2 PRO (or PRO fs) has 1 analog input which can be extended by an external switch like Nobsounds One Little Bear.

For multi channel use the Denon with Audissey enabled - this means that the Denon must use its DSP and then it makes no sense to use the KTB, better use a digital input to prevent an additional AD/DA conversion.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have more measurements to share? I have av8801 and I would think it is similar to your AV7701.

I am wondering if I should replace mine with Denon 3600 since my AV8801 remote is broken. Thanks!

I replaced my with the X4400H and have no regret whatsoever. My 8801 is not even broken, in fact still in top shape.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, I think so.

For 2-channel get an RME ADI-2 DAC and use it as DAC/preamp (skip the KTB). Use the RME's EQ as room EQ and you're done for good. If you need analog inputs as well the RME ADI-2 PRO (or PRO fs) has 1 analog input which can be extended by an external switch like Nobsounds One Little Bear.

For multi channel use the Denon with Audissey enabled - this means that the Denon must use its DSP and then it makes no sense to use the KTB, better use a digital input to prevent an additional AD/DA conversion.
Thanks for your suggestions. Since I am using bookshelf speakers only and I like bass, I do want something that can high pass speakers and provide sub out.

For 2.1 setup,I wonder which one is better:
Denon with bass management on
Vs
Khadas Tone Board to something like Parasound NewClassic 200 Pre, which supposed to perform analog-in bass management in all analog paths.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your suggestions. Since I am using bookshelf speakers only and I like bass, I do want something that can high pass speakers and provide sub out.
Get a sub with low level xover for the satellites (like the JBL LSR310 or most Genelecs) and let it handle this task. I do.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Get a sub with low level xover for the satellites (like the JBL LSR310 or most Genelecs) and let it handle this task. I do.
Thanks! I wonder how transparent are the highpass crossover in JBL and Genelecs or any ither subs with high pass out. Do you have some links for me to further study?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I wonder how transparent are the highpass crossover in JBL and Genelecs or any ither subs with high pass out. Do you have some links for me to further study?
No, but it's something I should measure when I find the time (I own the Genelec 7060b).

rickyhgarcia

I don’t intend to get in the middle of this discussion, nor am I talking sides. But thought I would clarify based on what I know.

there is no Marantz engineering in California or any part of the United States. That is just marketing and sales, logistics, etc. all engineering is in Japan.

the comment associated with Marantz Japan does appear to have come from the main engineer in Japan. English is not his first language and so certainly it can be a little broken or hard to follow.

Marantz believes that slow filters, while having some measurement faults, sound better. It’s a design choice. I don’t personally agree with that design choice and wish they would at least make it selectable.

Marantz is not alone in this view. Yamaha engineering in Japan, Cherry Amps here in the US, and others have all told me that they prefer slow rolloff. Yamaha at least makes it selectable.

I own a few AKM based dac/headphone amps with selectable filters. I’ll be totally honest in saying I can’t hear a difference between them. I couldn’t hear a difference on the last Yamaha product I reviewed with that feature either.

Sean Olive has commented to me before that they did some research into the use of FIR phase correction filters. He told me that when people could hear a difference, it was the Pre-ringing introduced by the correction. Suggesting he felt the pre-ringing is audible. Is that a knock against sharp filters with a lot of pre-ringing I leave for you to decide. The research into any of this sucks, so I am not sure we have much to look at. As I said, I can’t hear a difference.

Hi Matthew...I own a Marantz AV7005 for some 7 years now, and as you have mentioned about Marantz AVP`s, it sounds pretty good in a home theater setup and it has been quite reliable and user friendly. I am now, however, wanting to replace my processor for something more up to date. My AV7005 has been a positive experience providing good performance, and it has been durable. So when looking for a replacement unit I first looked at Marantz.

Reading this forum puts into doubt whether a Marantz unit is a good choice for a replacement. However, reading other forums, like Audioholics, Marantz is described as a very good choice. Since you participate in both forums, why so much difference in opinion?

I am also looking at the new McIntosh MX100 processor. There is nothing written about this unit, since it just been released. However, it is priced similarly like the Marantz AV8805, although not as much feature rich. McIntosh quality and performance has always been highly praised so maybe this brand puts a bit more attention to improve sonic performance on its AVP`s. The MX100 has gone away with many I/O`s that it is mentioned as a possible reason for the woes in performance in AVP`s in this forum. The McIntosh MX123 and MX122 AVPs are based on a Marantz design, so not sure if it would perform similarly as a Marantz unit.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There is nothing written about this unit, since it just been released. However, it is priced similarly like the Marantz AV8805, although not as much feature rich.
I took a quick look, they say retail is $5K on this guy, reasonable for a Mac component.
That would be a mighty tempting purchase, I just love the blue/green lit glass panels. :)
MX100-Front-Top.ashx

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took a quick look, they say retail is $5K on this guy, reasonable for a Mac component.
That would be a mighty tempting purchase, I just love the blue/green lit glass panels. :)
MX100-Front-Top.ashx
I was browsing this unit and too was surprised at the "low for mcintosh" price of $5k. Front is quite nice looking, but look how clean the back is.

Attachments

• MX100 Back.jpg
    MX100 Back.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 176

Vasr

Major Contributor
MX100. Interesting that it comes with Audyssey Room EQ. Didn't know anyone outside of D&M licensed it. Is this designed/built by Marantz? Looks more like a IOTAVX AV processor competitor.

The form factor is the only advantage over Anthem or Monoprice HTP-1. It would be great if Anthem or Monoprice brought out a similar low form factor unit by getting rid of most of the useless connectors in analog.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MX100. Interesting that it comes with Audyssey Room EQ. Didn't know anyone outside of D&M licensed it. Is this designed/built by Marantz? Looks more like a IOTAVX AV processor competitor.

The form factor is the only advantage over Anthem or Monoprice HTP-1. It would be great if Anthem or Monoprice brought out a similar low form factor unit by getting rid of most of the useless connectors in analog.
McIntosh generally basses one of their models on a Marantz (which gets Audyssey) and the other which gets Roomperfect. For example the MX12x series are based on Marantz I believe and the MX150/160/170 are based on Lyngdorf Roomperfect models.

oupee

On my Marantz SR8015 I don't need HEOS, zone2 / 3, bluetooth, wifi, no cinch except the output .... it could all be cheaper. This McIntosh is great.

Vasr

Major Contributor
McIntosh generally basses one of their models on a Marantz (which gets Audyssey) and the other which gets Roomperfect. For example the MX12x series are based on Marantz I believe and the MX150/160/170 are based on Lyngdorf Roomperfect models.

I didn't know that. I wonder if it is like NAD's relationship with Purifi getting modules and integrating or an Outlaw/IOTAVX ODM/OEM relationship. If the latter, then a Marantz white-labeled unit with McIntosh faceplate can't be worth $5000, especially given the cut down functionality relative to typical AV pre/pros. But then I have never understood McIntosh brand allure.

It will be interesting to look what is inside.

Top Bottom