• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The post you referenced is from Oct. 20, 2020. Why are you posting a reply almost a year later. Have you nothing else to do?

If the question was the silly and inappropriate why didn't you reply at least in the same calendar year?

I re-read my post and I don't see any horrible mistakes. The comments referenced in my post were at the bottom of your post. I didn't just jump to the bottom of your post to read them. Why would I do that? It wasn't clear why you included the comments in your original post since the comments didn't seem to directly relate to the remainder of your post.

Do you object to the content of my post? If so, what is wrong with it?

Give it a rest, or provide a coherent technical response. A year is a long time to respond to a post.

I guess your post didn't really hit me until now when the 7705 is suddenly getting some attentions again. The answers to your questions "Why did you post Gene's comments? Do you agree with the comments and with Marantz's claim? " were obvious if you actually read the post; and if you have re-read the post and still seriously feel the need to ask the same questions then my response would be the same. Though I suppose I could simply ask you back a silly question such as why you want to know why I quoted Gene, but I am not going to add to the silliness. It is getting ridiculous as that was not the first time or even the second time you I sensed the underlying attitude, regardless of how I tried to be respectful and polite in the past towards you. I don't know if ASR has the ignore list feature. If there is, please put me on your ignore list, no hard feeling..., just don't enjoy this kind of back and forth any more.

Last edited:

Masza

I have one coming for review. However, the only changes are the addition of 8K. No changes to the digital or analog section. That doesn't mean these issues weren't resolved, if any are software, but it does mean that its unlikely to be different.

Have you had time and ability to test the AV7706?

bigguyca

Have you had time and ability to test the AV7706?

The original AV7706 shipped with the AKM AK4458 DAC IC. It isn't clear what DAC IC changes, if any, have been made to the original AV7706 due to AKM AK4458 DAC IC shortages.

Based on visual inspection of the original AV7706:

The Digital Board changed due to the HDMI 2.1 "upgrade."

The DAC (called Front Connector) board appears to have been changed with the addition of current sources to the DAC filter opamps to drive the opamps into Class A operation. This same change was also made to several other Denon/Marantz products that used the AK4458 DAC IC.

One resistor in the HDAM circuit was changed from 1M ohm to 100k ohm. This resistor may be involved in setting low frequency open loop gain.

o Quick measurements of the original AV7706 showed no change in THD+N measurements from the AV7705.

The THD does measure better with the AVR not in direct or pure direct and the DAC sent digital signals below -4dBFS or so from the optical digital input or effectively via channel setback.

Last edited:

HTDIY

I would take the 7705 review here with the pinch of salt. What I mean is, most of the measurements that seem not up to par are levels that you can't even hear in real world scenarios. After reading the 7705 review, I went with a Denon, and was disappointed with its overall surround audio quality compared to age old yamaha 1060. Then I returned the Denon and got the 7706 for some extra $$$. But the results are exceptional. I am very satisfied I got the 7706.
What Denon did you have? I was going to install the Denon x3700 but at the last minute changed my mind and decided to go with the Marantz 7706. It arrives on Friday and I can’t wait to try it out.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What Denon did you have? I was going to install the Denon x3700 but at the last minute changed my mind and decided to go with the Marantz 7706. It arrives on Friday and I can’t wait to try it out.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 7706, I owned the 7701 and currently have a 7703 with no thought of upgrading any time soon..

All that being said I have to inject my thoughts into this thread once more. I believe it completely impossible for anyone to make claims of differing sound quality among these various AVR-PrePro's using them as intended. How do you even begin to match the outcome of the setup of Audyssey - Dirac or even manual setup. I can guarantee you that if you measured the FR with REW every one is going to come out different. Even trying to disable all DRC etc and playing only stereo sources the internal signal paths are usually too convoluted to promises an unadulterated signal (straight wire with gain) results.
Personally I would suggest readers looking to purchase a new unit to review Amir's measurements and use testing for any truly disqualifying issues. Then also do some homework and ask questions on how well the software functions in real-world use, there are a few out there I would highly recommend against due to bugs in the software that can make them a real PITA for day to day use and who's reputation are giving them poor resale value.
Then lay your money on one in your price range that offers the features and power (AVR's) that fit your needs. Thanks to the revealing work of Amir and a couple others things are improving on the tech design side. Just about all can offer you a very enjoyable listening experience if you don't let audiophilia-nervosa twist your perception.
YMMV

swampfire

I’ve read this thread with a lot of appreciation and some amusement. :)

I recently bought my AV7702 for the very reasonable price of $700. No, it’s doesn’t do HDCP 2.2 or HDR, but it’s a huge upgrade from the Sherbourne PT-7030 I’ve used for the past 8 years. I’ve been going back and forth between the 7702’s DAC and my high-Sinad Soncoz DAC. While I think I hear a difference, I suspect it’s mostly expectation bias. I’ll probably end up sticking with the 7702 for Apple Music streaming via the AppleTV 4K, and use the Soncoz as a headphone DAC, like @Sal1950.

I’m about to do the listening test that was linked in this thread. At 57, I’m pretty sure I am the weak link in my system now.

EDIT: confirmed, I can’t hear anything at all over 13kHz in this sweep test:

I passed the 1dB level series 100%, but failed the 0.5dB test

Last edited:

rccarguy

I’ve read this thread with a lot of appreciation and some amusement. :)

I recently bought my AV7702 for the very reasonable price of $700. No, it’s doesn’t do HDCP 2.2 or HDR, but it’s a huge upgrade from the Sherbourne PT-7030 I’ve used for the past 8 years. I’ve been going back and forth between the 7702’s DAC and my high-Sinad Soncoz DAC. While I think I hear a difference, I suspect it’s mostly expectation bias. I’ll probably end up sticking with the 7702 for Apple Music streaming via the AppleTV 4K, and use the Soncoz as a headphone DAC, like @Sal1950.

I’m about to do the listening test that was linked in this thread. At 57, I’m pretty sure I am the weak link in my system now.

Already out of date? Does it at least have 4k and HDR? Also multieq app doesn't work with this

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’ve read this thread with a lot of appreciation and some amusement.
The 7702 was a very good pre/pro, I used my 7701 for a number of years before I got the 7703, for $700 you did well. It does lack a number of the more recent codex but always sounded great in my system, I mainly upgraded to get Atmos and the Audyssey Editor app.
Enjoy it till you feel the need for the latest codings, etc.

Last edited:

swampfire

Does it at least have 4k and HDR? Also multieq app doesn't work with this
None of the above, since it’s only HDMI2.0a. However, here’s the funny thing: I set my AppleTV 4K to always output 4K SDR, with native frame rate. This works fine through the 7702, and I finally figured out why. The ATV is streaming the 1080p version and upsampling to 4K.

For 4K BluRays, I’d have to use the OPPO UDP203’s audio output and run the Oppo’s main output straight to my projector. But since 99% of my BluRays are only HD, I haven’t bothered.

I do wish the Audyssey app worked with this unit, but the built-in RC is great, coming from a unit that had none.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For 4K BluRays, I’d have to use the OPPO UDP203’s audio output and run the Oppo’s main output straight to my projector. But since 99% of my BluRays are only HD, I haven’t bothered.
That's what I did. Most all BR players today have dual HDMI outs, one audio only, exactly for this reason.

psraj

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 7706, I owned the 7701 and currently have a 7703 with no thought of upgrading any time soon..

All that being said I have to inject my thoughts into this thread once more. I believe it completely impossible for anyone to make claims of differing sound quality among these various AVR-PrePro's using them as intended. How do you even begin to match the outcome of the setup of Audyssey - Dirac or even manual setup. I can guarantee you that if you measured the FR with REW every one is going to come out different. Even trying to disable all DRC etc and playing only stereo sources the internal signal paths are usually too convoluted to promises an unadulterated signal (straight wire with gain) results.
Personally I would suggest readers looking to purchase a new unit to review Amir's measurements and use testing for any truly disqualifying issues. Then also do some homework and ask questions on how well the software functions in real-world use, there are a few out there I would highly recommend against due to bugs in the software that can make them a real PITA for day to day use and who's reputation are giving them poor resale value.
Then lay your money on one in your price range that offers the features and power (AVR's) that fit your needs. Thanks to the revealing work of Amir and a couple others things are improving on the tech design side. Just about all can offer you a very enjoyable listening experience if you don't let audiophilia-nervosa twist your perception.
YMMV
I had a Denon 3700H, with Outlaw 7000x. Denon lacked the surround stage compared to my old Yamaha. With Maranzt 7706, it completely opened up the sound stage to levels I have never experience in my setup. Clearer and forward center channel, and excellent channel separation and sound stage for surround and atmos.

psraj

You made the right choice. I returned my Denon 3700H for Marantz 7706.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had a Denon 3700H, with Outlaw 7000x. Denon lacked the surround stage compared to my old Yamaha. With Maranzt 7706, it completely opened up the sound stage to levels I have never experience in my setup. Clearer and forward center channel, and excellent channel separation and sound stage for surround and atmos.
Glad your happy.
The new 7706 looks to be an awesome pre/pro.
After you get settled in, grab the Audyssey Editor app for $20 from google, it will give you lots of flexiblity in tuning.
I think I'd hold off on the brand new $200 tuner kit and wait to see how things shake out with it.

psraj

Glad your happy.
The new 7706 looks to be an awesome pre/pro.
After you get settled in, grab the Audyssey Editor app for $20 from google, it will give you lots of flexiblity in tuning.
I think I'd hold off on the brand new $200 tuner kit and wait to see how things shake out with it.
I have the Editor App from Apple store already, what's the $200 tuner kit you are referring to?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have the Editor App from Apple store already, what's the $200 tuner kit you are referring to?
It's called MultEQ-X
We have a whole thread on it here,
I haven't used it so I can't really comment good or bad.
I believe it will turn out great but IMO now is a wait and see time before you spend any more money. ;)

Daaadou

I'd also like to see a review of the 7706 since I own two hdmi 2.1 devices and would enjoy a proper management of all sources into one AVP.
I look into this device because I am considering to get some genelec as a HT and the XLR output makes sense obviously.
Something was interesting when I talk with the Genelec team in Finland at first and then here in France, they both use the Marantz 7706 to perform demo at their showroom.
I was quite surprise they use consumer grade equipment but they told me it does the job to connect HDMI device to a Genelec immersive sound system.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Is it the cheapest option with XLR output? Looks like maybe so.
Yep... especially considering the more feature-rich alternatives under ~$4K are consistently out of stock or of dubious reliability (HTP-1 or XMC/RMC) it's arguably the best value as well.

truwarrior22

Audyssey works pretty well for me. Personally, I think the biggest bug in Denon / Marantz is Bass Sync. Not much is known or written about because most users add extreme bass and are after trouble. Practically at the beginning of every film, it should be experienced what value is correct (0ms, 5ms, 10ms). Hans Zimmer in Prague 0ms, Blade 4K (1998) 5ms, Doctor Sleep (2019) 10ms even with the bass down, it starts to play deep, dynamic bass.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4700H/NA/EN/WBSPSYvsbphziy.php
How do you tell what value to use? Is this an additional delay setting?

Top Bottom