• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz 6014 and Martin Logan ESL combo

OP
S

Sipping1s&0s

Just curious, what is the make and model of that measurement microphone. I may not take this route of investing something since I still believe I'm a consumer than a professional tuner.

The sound difference between Pure Direct and stereo is a major different from 6014. I have used close back AKG, sony, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, and etc. The difference is not an minor.

Is the 6014 defective? Most important of all, how to get it correct so Pure Direct will play the tone range like in Stereo Mode, not singing via blanket?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just curious, what is the make and model of that measurement microphone. I may not take this route of investing something since I still believe I'm a consumer than a professional tuner.

The sound difference between Pure Direct and stereo is a major different from 6014. I have used close back AKG, sony, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, and etc. The difference is not an minor.

Is the 6014 defective? Most important of all, how to get it correct so Pure Direct will play the tone range like in Stereo Mode, not singing via blanket?
This is one of the cheaper ones. Understanding how your speakers interact with your room is important. With the mic and with freeware like REW (there's a paid version too) you can get a good idea.

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
Thanks for suggesting me those tools.
I have a Denox x3700 but used to have the Marantz. I’ve used both with the Martin Logan ESLs but I have an amp. I have no such issue in Pure Direct mode. Pure Direct sounds as good if not better than stereo mode. I like stereo mode when I want more bass from my Seaton Submersive sub. I use a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp that was reviewed poorly on ASR recently. However, I’ve been a Martin Logan user for ten years and back when I started ML owners raved about the Sunfire Cinema Grand with MLs. I have never been disappointed. The combo has worked well for me. I’ve replaced Receivers but not the amp. After the bad review, I bought three Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks to run my ML and the sound didn’t improve. The Outlaws provided more power but sound was not better so I’m going back to the Sunfire. It pairs well with the Martin Logans.
Notably, the Outlaws made my Dynaudio Emit M20s sound better.

Long story short, I think the amps help. I haven’t been a big fan of the internal amps in the Denon or Marantz.

Top Bottom