• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Man with passion for sound is on a quest to build the finest sound amplification system ever

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
<QUOTE>
When most of us listen to music these days, we hear MP3s. Introduced in 1993, they took off with Napster, and became ubiquitous. But Weiss said 95% of the sound is gone in MP3s.

"Can you imagine watching a television set where 95% of the pixels are dark? You wouldn't watch that at all. But your brain and your ears are so much more sophisticated with sound," he said.
</QUOTE>

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jonathan-weiss-build-sound-amplification-system/
:cool:

mansr

Major Contributor
Oh dear. I guess he doesn't know that video is typically compressed down to an average rate of 0.1 bits per pixel or less. In other words, 99.6% of the image is "gone" (assuming 24-bit original). Imagine watching that.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Oh dear. I guess he doesn't know that video is typically compressed down to an average rate of 0.1 bits per pixel or less. In other words, 99.6% of the image is "gone" (assuming 24-bit original). Imagine watching that.
Hehe, you caught the logical fallacy. The guy is a pure idiot.

Last edited:

Brianc

Hilarious that his idea of "working on" bringing great sound to more people is selling bookshelf speakers that cost nearly $10k (his Fleetwood series).

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Gotta wonder what all the engineers working for CBS think about this nonsense.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Hehe, you caught the logical fallacy. The guy is a pure idiot.

For sure, somehow I got the impression he is some kind of trust fund baby ( I might be wrong) and the financial implications of whatever he decides to play with don't matter at all.

The Mennonites running the 5 axis laser cutters is really off the wall.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha. I was just about to post the same thing. What a bonkers story.

"we don't like to talk about the price......"

I bet you don't, sunshine. I guess you'll sell me the lot for a bag of magic beans then?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His mp3s are like 64 kbps or something?

Top Bottom