• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Male vocals

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Amazing and quite possible! I think we were on the left, probably about 25/30 :) It was the evening of his wedding anniversary (I don't know Mr. Elling (or Mrs. Elling); he just mentioned it in the context of being on the road a good deal) - just a phenomenal gig. I'd had the opportunity to do a masterclass with him when I was a student (many moons ago), and have as often as possible either gone to see him myself or bought a ticket for a friend: there aren't that many opportunities to see a true master/mistress at work, and even if the music isn't your bag (fortunately for me it is in this case), I really think you owe it to yourself to hear someone who's achieved that mastery.
Got to agree about Kurt Elling great vocalist. Prefer Curtis Stigers seen him live several times every time brilliant, where he differs from many others is every time you attend a concert the musical take is different. The quality of his recorded music is always good, surrounded himself with great musicians and recording facilities.

PatF

ok it will be maybe controversial but these are male voices too :)

Philippe Jaroussky

Daniel Taylor

PatF

Renaissance music in Celtic vibe

Michael Slattery - tenor

Here in better quality

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ok it will be maybe controversial but these are male voices too :)

Philippe Jaroussky

Daniel Taylor

Hmm, back to the "castrato" voice?:cool:

PatF

Not really I’d say. Ever heard a real castrato?
The problem is no one today heard. There is recording from beginning of 20th century of last castrato of Sistine Chapel (Moreschi) but quality is poor and it is not voice from prime time of castratos. Most probably they sounded differently than our countertenors (btw in time of castratos countertenors existed an were on everyday use).

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Agree.

I think if the Moreschi recording ‘had everything’, the difference would be even more striking.

PatF

Agree.

I think if the Moreschi recording ‘had everything’, the difference would be even more striking.

Yea difference. would be more striking but Moreschi was from different epoch... much different aesthetic... 19th century changed a lot in music even in closed circle like Sistine Chapel. Regardless we can get some insights from this recording how castro can sound.

This is something that was lost and will never be reproduced ... I think no one would agree today to castrate hundreds of boys yearly to recreate castrato voice.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yea difference. would be more striking but Moreschi was from different epoch... much different aesthetic... 19th century changed a lot in music even in closed circle like Sistine Chapel. Regardless we can get some insights from this recording how castro can sound.

This is something that was lost and will never be reproduced ... I think no one would agree today to castrate hundreds of boys yearly to recreate castrato voice.
There were some myths and rumors 20-30 years ago about some esoteric circle enjoying real castrato by monks dedicated for this.
Nothing confirmed of course and even if it's true no recording,obviously.

PatF

I am surprised that my search in ASR return null .... so I think you need to know this tenor: Marco Beasley

PatF

I actually like this kind of music. It may be out of fashion and strange to others’ ears…
Out of fashion it was 300 years ago ;) but if we are talking about early music circle surely it is not a new thing. For general audience it can be a bit strange but I think in even popular music we have stranger things ....

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a strange admission, but I think Jim Reeves has one of the most relaxing voices I have ever heard. Don't know why really.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A band I’ve recently found “Leprous” the vocalist is quite amazing in my opinion. I don’t really have a favourite track, the last couple albums are both great.

Top Bottom