• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Male vocals

mglobe

Forum Donor
So -- not a whole album, but here's a good sounding track, top to bottom (so to speak) -- including the vocal.
From the superb covers album Deadicated.

That’s an awesome version that I can’t seem to find on Qobuz or Apple Music. I love this one too

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
4E9BE208-AF4F-4820-A625-F6EDBFDAEAE4.jpeg

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me there's a few male voices that are the gold standard.

You know the ones... Farrokh Bulsara, Steve Perry, John Farnham. But I also hold special esteem for guys who are 'triple threats'... singer, songwriters and in these cases, piano men.

Elton John, Billy Joel.

I also quite like Roger Taylor and Lindsay Buckingham and Ian Moss... they were all overshadowed by other band members but their lead tracks are usually very strong.

here's an example of John Farnham in a period he'd rather forget but he's immensely strong here.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of my favorites would be Brad Roberts (Crash Test Dummies) and Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), Mel Torme, Nat King Cole, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, Van Morrison, Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke....

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is the year. This is the year in which Shervin Hajipour taught us that prepositions too can move us to tears. Here, he tells us some uses of the preposition "Baraye" ("For"). He used some of the wording from people's tweets (which are seen on-screen in the video) as the basis for his lyrics.

In this next video posted by YouTube channel VideoAmt, an enthusiastic crowd sings along to the same song by Shervin.

For a superb cover of the same song by a woman singer, see for example my post on page 75 of the "Female Vocals" thread on ASR:
D.R.A.M.A. cover of Shervin's Baraye

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Bela Fleck (banjo) and Sam Bush (mandolin, fiddle) were in a band, New Grass Revival, that auditioned a new bass player one day. Sam tells the story:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor

usersky

Forum Donor
For me Midge Ure always was something of a hero:

And Peter Gabriel:

It's not the virtuosity that moves me but the honesty.

Top Bottom