• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making generalizations about music, another example of the 'Streetlight Effect' / "Drunkard's Fallacy"

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As those who saw me react to some generalizations about the classical tradition well know, this sort of thing really bothers me. 99-to-1, he is searching his own selective experience rather than examining his thesis by hitting the music library/streaming service.

I mean really. Gershwin, Ravel, Stravinsky, the British Romantics, Basie, Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Barber, Hindemith, Copland. And that's without getting started on the New Viennese School.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Just a guy talking. There's plenty of awesome traditions, musicians and composers in every era. Maybe hard to find if you are always using the same channels though.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is perfectly valid to have a personal preference for music from a particular time. Suggesting that has some broader implication is nonsense.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: GDK

Curvature

Major Contributor
It is perfectly valid to have a personal preference for music from a particular time. Suggesting that has some broader implication is nonsense.
He didn't position it as personal. He made a historical claim.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
He didn't position it as personal. He made a historical claim.

I cut him some slack with his "in my mind", at least some qualification. Just seems like a dopey thing to say regardless, particularly with such specific time references.....

Curvature

Major Contributor
I cut him some slack with his "in my mind", at least some qualification. Just seems like a dopey thing to say regardless, particularly with such specific time references.....
Seems to say more about the guy himself than about music, I'll grant that.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Yup, that was clearly it.
Rock Music actually peaked about 1967 and ended in 1970.
The only thing mentioned in that article that is/was any good is the Who. All the rest I can easily live without.
for example the last good Stones album was "Beggars Bangquet" or maybe Satanic Majesties ripoff of the Beatles. I remember a contemporaneous cartoon showing some rock and rollers listening to Sticky Fingers and agreeing that "the stones have done it again man!" in the first frame and then gradually drifting away from the record player. Perfect!
Okay Maaybe ELP and maybe Marvin Gaye and Aqualung.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Reminds me of this.

1665879065810.png

Top Bottom