• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making an Okto DAC8 work with multiple sources

mvorchard

Hi there,

Your help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve been actively tri-amping for quite some time, using a D-23 Pioneer Crossover. My full chain being:

- rca turntable
- two digital sources: Roon via Ropieee and optical output from Samsung TV, both connected to a Chord Qutest DAC; only needed to select one of those sources on the DAC
- the turntable and the DAC connected to a Goldnote preamp
- the preamp connected to the D-23
- and the three pairs of RCA outputs connected to each power amp

Got the Okto, and I’m almost getting rid of the turntable and the GN preamp. Buuuuuuuuuut……….. I cannot seem to make the TV work.

I set Roon up to correctly feed the Okto three pairs of channels to its (sole) USB input - frequency curves and sound level correctly set on the Roon DSP. So local music library, Tidal and Qobuz are working just nice.

Problem is I do need to feed the DAC with the optical signal coming out from the TV: Youtube, Spotify, Apple TV and various other source are using this signal to be played. I’ve been reading about the entrypoints for Roon and the like, and it seems that there are not many options for what I need.

Any suggestions on what I should look for?? I do want to have an electronic crossover capable of feeding the DAC8 with multiple channels. The balanced outputs of the Okto are JUST GREAT!

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Many regards!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

Your help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve been actively tri-amping for quite some time, using a D-23 Pioneer Crossover. My full chain being:

- rca turntable
- two digital sources: Roon via Ropieee and optical output from Samsung TV, both connected to a Chord Qutest DAC; only needed to select one of those sources on the DAC
- the turntable and the DAC connected to a Goldnote preamp
- the preamp connected to the D-23
- and the three pairs of RCA outputs connected to each power amp

Got the Okto, and I’m almost getting rid of the turntable and the GN preamp. Buuuuuuuuuut……….. I cannot seem to make the TV work.

I set Roon up to correctly feed the Okto three pairs of channels to its (sole) USB input - frequency curves and sound level correctly set on the Roon DSP. So local music library, Tidal and Qobuz are working just nice.

Problem is I do need to feed the DAC with the optical signal coming out from the TV: Youtube, Spotify, Apple TV and various other source are using this signal to be played. I’ve been reading about the entrypoints for Roon and the like, and it seems that there are not many options for what I need.

Any suggestions on what I should look for?? I do want to have an electronic crossover capable of feeding the DAC8 with multiple channels. The balanced outputs of the Okto are JUST GREAT!

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Many regards!

First I should say I am not a Roon user but I would check out rooplay from @DrCWO -> https://rooextend.com as it seems to allow the use of external sources with Roon DSP.

Another option is to add a device like the miniDSP Flex upstream of your Okto and use a raspberry pi running camilladsp (see link in my signature for more details) for active crossover DSP. You can change sources on the Flex (analog, USB, TOSLINK, SPDIF, bluetooth) and route the digital output to the Okto running in USB / AES mode. This would allow you to have multiple digital sources and even retain your turntable.

I do something similar with an Okto but I have an OpenDRC-DI upstream of my Okto instead of a Flex. As sources I have an AppleTV, digital output of another raspberry pi running squeezelite and digital output of a Mac mini. My turntable is located away from my system and I use a separate ADC to digitize the turntable preamp output and stream it via LMS using the wave input plugin.

Lots of options here as the Okto is pretty flexible with I/O, just need to figure out what works best for you.

Michael

Top Bottom