• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a Case/Enclosure for the Khadas Tone Board

OP
TimW

TimW

Major Contributor
Would these also work: wooden boxes ? For those who find wood easier to work with.
The inside dimensions are large enough to fit the board. You would have to figure out where you want to make the openings of course. Biggest issue I foresee is the thickness of the material. I did not see this dimension listed but I expect it to be significantly thicker than the aluminum cases I list. You may have to experiment with the size of the USB-C opening to get the RCA connectors deep enough into the wood for the nuts to thread on.

Btw the Aluminum these cases are made of is not that hard and is as easier to work with then hard woods in my opinion.

OP
TimW

TimW

Major Contributor
Here's how the 3M stick on rubber feet (bumpon) look:
20181103_165448(1)-1280x1061.jpg
20181103_170020-1280x960.jpg
And here's how the DAC looks in my Goofy setup:
20181103_170640-1280x959.jpg

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well Done!

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Shipping from NA and EU costs a fortune for us Asians, so it'd be nice if you guys who know any alternatives that are available on AliExpress (or anywhere that ship cheaply to Asian countries) can share some info.

Last edited:

Mistic

Hi TimW
and all those who are giving new insights

First of all, I'm very grateful to you for your efforts, and share us.. your Khadas tone board box design.
Please, a question.

Are you sure that Vim edition, used alone...not with Vim2, is too taller to your case design?
From my poor eyesight, seems that added headers result at the same level as the RCA connectors

but...

Dimensions (from Khadas tone board specifications)

General edition: 82.0 x 74.5 x 17.0 mm
Vim edition: 82.0 x 74.5 x 24.0 mm

Thank's a lot in advance

P.D; I've a Khadas tone board Vim edition on way to home...
I choose this option thinking about future I2S and PDIF out connections..,. without need to weld
but at this momment...alone with my PC.

Last edited:
OP
TimW

TimW

Major Contributor
Hi TimW
and all those who are giving new insights

First of all, I'm very grateful to you for your efforts, and share us.. your Khadas tone board box design.
Please, a question.

Are you sure that Vim edition, used alone...not with Vim2, is too taller to your case design?
From my poor eyesight, seems that added headers result at the same level as the RCA connectors

but...

Dimensions (from Khadas tone board specifications)

General edition: 82.0 x 74.5 x 17.0 mm
Vim edition: 82.0 x 74.5 x 24.0 mm

Thank's a lot in advance

P.D; I've a Khadas tone board Vim edition on way to home...
I choose this option thinking about future I2S and PDIF out connections..,. without need to weld
but at this momment...alone with my PC.
Unfortunately yes the VIM edition is too tall. Not because of the pins on top of the board but because of the GPIO Header on the bottom which is taller than the included standoffs I used.

nay

Hi,
Thought I would CAM myself a front face plate so only took 5 mins do you have link for LED?

Thanks.

Silou

Perfect guide and thanks for the provided cutouts. The cutout pictures surely made it a lot easier. I will post some pictures tomorrow. In my opinion it turned out perfect. The USB cutout could have been better but it is not visible when something is plugged in anyway.
IMG-20181230-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Sekenenz

Hi everyone,
I was looking for information and ideas for a Khadas board case and I discovered this wonderful forum, thanks to all for the valuable information you provide.

How about a cnc'd case, something completely in ergal (7075 alu), upper frame in matt anodised gray and lower frame in glossy black oxide?

Bifrons (fr view).pngBifrons (bl view).pngBifrons (br view).pngBifrons (fl view).png
Bifrons (F view).pngBifrons (B view).pngBifrons (bottom view).png

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That looks nice!
But would imagine it to be pretty intensive in its machining even though its a pretty small case. Not to mention the laser etching, and dual process coatings. From the looks of it, that case is like 100 x 65 x 33 mm in overall size ?

Sekenenz

Pretty intensive and quite expensive (almost 3 times the board :rolleyes:)
I ordered two of them (one for a friend), I think it will be completed in a month, the factory took it easy.
The measures are 110x68x36, it could have been smaller, but I added weight to prevent the cables from taking it away from the table.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ouch ... That's pricey indeed.

I'm waiting for my board to arrive to double check on some actual dimensions before I send my CAD model to the machine shop.
If all goes well, should not need any further alterations. I should be able to get it within 2 weeks of sending them in with my vendor but its a much more conventional design and much easier to machine compared to yours.

Sekenenz

Do you have any render? I would like to take a look

(the first attempt was a slide-in configuration, way more complicated, the cnc operator comment was "is it supposed to work in 0-g?")

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Do you have any render? I would like to take a look

(the first attempt was a slide-in configuration, way more complicated, the cnc operator comment was "is it supposed to work in 0-g?")

Unfortunately they are in my work computer. Won't be touching that for a few days though.
I think I will show the complete build once its done in another 2~3 weeks instead.

bequietjk

Just ordered black on black of the 6.30" length (B2-160). It should nestle perfectly under my Project Horizon. Maybe put a thick piece of metal towards the front to keep it weighted down. Excited much!

Top Bottom