• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making a Case/Enclosure for the Khadas Tone Board

gvl

Major Contributor
@TimW, thanks for the effort and great instructions! Saved me a lot of time.
_20190202_220702.JPG

maxxevv

Major Contributor
As mentioned some weeks ago, that I was in the process of fabricating a custom machined case for the KTB.
Well, its done, but the KTB has yet to board the plane leaving China, despite my placing an order 5 weeks ago....

As for costs, well lets just say that its not much cheaper than the KTB itself unless we have like a machine run of 20 pieces at one go.

NOTE: The lighting is for illustration purposes only, should one decide to install an additional LED light to indicate power. It shouldn't be that bright.

20190212_200902~2.jpg 20190212_201045~2.jpg 20190212_201243~2.jpg 20190212_201336~2.jpg

ngs428

As mentioned some weeks ago, that I was in the process of fabricating a custom machined case for the KTB.
Well, its done, but the KTB has yet to board the plane leaving China, despite my placing an order 5 weeks ago....

As for costs, well lets just say that its not much cheaper than the KTB itself unless we have like a machine run of 20 pieces at one go.

NOTE: The lighting is for illustration purposes only, should one decide to install an additional LED light to indicate power. It shouldn't be that bright.

View attachment 21783 View attachment 21784 View attachment 21785 View attachment 21786

I like how you flipped the board so the R/L are in the right locations.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
^ kudos! Looks great!

Thanks. Glad you like it. But it was originally intended to be finished in black, but my machine shop somehow got that bit wrong.

I like how you flipped the board so the R/L are in the right locations.

The intent really was to minimise the separate machining needed to mount the board onto the case. On most DACs, the R and L are indeed as the KTB originally laid it. I have since found a way to mount it right way round without adding significant additional cost to the machining work.

But ... I still have to wait for my KTB to show up .... :facepalm:

Last edited:

ngs428

Thanks. Glad you like it. But it was originally intended to be finished in black, but my machine shop somehow got that bit wrong.

The intent really was to minimise the separate machining needed to mount the board onto the case. On most DACs, the R and L are indeed as the KTB originally laid it. I have since found a way to mount it right way round without adding significant additional cost to the machining work.

But ... I still have to wait for my KTB to show up .... :facepalm:

Ahh is see what you mean about the R/L orientation.

ngs428

@TimW did you ever put a hole in the front plate to use the onboard LED? I think I will be doing that... whenever my TB shows up.

milw50717

Just waiting on the case .. and KTB board .. before the drilling commences. Found the spacers at a large ACE hardware. No go at Lowes or Home Depot.

20190212_151417.jpg

I must say that @maxxevv's case looks to be the bee's knees.

Reactions: wje

Sekenenz

Well done @maxxevv!
How much extra space do you have for sliding the board in place?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Well done @maxxevv!
How much extra space do you have for sliding the board in place?

I don't have the files with me but its approximately 15mm for the board, excluding RCA connectors.

Edit: Its closer to 15mm rather than 20mm I originally mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom