• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tesla Model 3 Teardown Reveals It’s Relatively Cheap To Produce
Now, a German firm that specializes in vehicle teardowns has put a number out there.

In fact, it was revealed that the materials and logistics involved in building the Model 3 add up to about $18,000. Labor costs were determined to be about $10,000.
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-reveals-its-cheaper-to-make-than-most-think/

iridium.
A slightly different take on the same information.

https://qz.com/1294282/the-tesla-mo...neers-say-and-it-still-may-not-be-profitable/

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ya think anyone's ever going to write musical odes to these little tree hugger created Frankensteins? :confused:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tesla Model 3 Teardown Reveals It’s Relatively Cheap To Produce
Now, a German firm that specializes in vehicle teardowns has put a number out there.

In fact, it was revealed that the materials and logistics involved in building the Model 3 add up to about $18,000. Labor costs were determined to be about $10,000.
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-reveals-its-cheaper-to-make-than-most-think/

iridium.
That sounds a lot.
In a conventional production car a fortune is spent on tooling to make the individual piece parts inexpensive but the BOM cost is about 10% retail on the make of car I was told about, in fact the marketing budget per car was higher per car than its BOM. Using this model (a successful European manufacturer) The Model 3 would retail at $180,000. No wonder they have only ever made a huge loss.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Wombat

Master Contributor
Is oil really running out? Seems like this situation begins to solve itself without the manufactured fear of changing the weather from emissions. If the oil prices get higher and higher companies and governments will get serious about what to do. But there have been false predictions about peak oil for a long time now, so it is hard to believe.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/weve-been-incorrectly-predicting-peak-oil-for-over-a-ce-1668986354

I am more concerned about self-driving cars controlling where and when people are allowed to go. For instance, in China they are developing a social credit system that limits your abilities depending on where you stand socially, which may be applied to computerized cars that require access to a personal profile or your ID to operate.

Manufactured fear??

BvseFzoCAAAz23y.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ya think anyone's ever going to write musical odes to these little tree hugger created Frankensteins? :confused:

No, but probably for a different reason. When the fully autonomous self driving car is worked out, not long thereafter most people will not own a car. It will no longer be a personal accessory, or a particular experience. You'll dial up a ride on your preferred transportation provider, they'll show up in 5 minutes or less and take you where you are going.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
The bridge looks fine to me. But if the oil runs out that would help your environmental concerns. We would have less to use to ruin the air, or there'd be increased wars which would reduce the population, which would also help the environment. I mean, let's say it takes 100 more years of current levels of oil use to significantly damage our climate, if that is what is happening... well, if the oil runs out in only 50 years time, in half that time, then how would we end up ruining the climate? If the oil runs out by 2024, or or even by 2080, then I don't see how we're going to have time to create such disaster scenarios. But I don't believe the predictions anyway, I just don't understand people's thinking about thi

I also don't understand where all the oil comes from. How could it all come from dinosaurs? Why not other animals? Or does it come from plants? If it did come from dinosaurs, why is it when we dig up dinosaur bones they aren't often really oilly? Is it only the ones that were buried really deep? that get turned into oil.

I think you need to get some education before making profound comment.:rolleyes: I am wondering if you think the world is 5000 Y.O. :eek:

PS. Oil saved from producing energy will extend the life of its other uses.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most excellent article. The rush to piece together existing systems is not correct.

Loved this bit about GM's system:

View attachment 13098

Wow! Wonder who did the mapping and how much they are charging for it.

I would have thought it obvious those systems would need to be integrated. I'm not surprised they initially were cobbled together piecemeal one at time tacked on. I would have thought with the money and testing done they would be well past that point already.

As for the mapping I don't know how it was done or by whom. I'd expect someone had some clever ideas about getting the results however.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Although dinosaur bones do not contribute to fossil fuels, other organic matter did contribute after breaking down under some very extreme conditions."

Then why wouldn't dinosaurs also contribute? There were a lot of them and they were really big.

"If you think about what else was alive during the time of the dinosaurs, we can see that there was an abundance of vegetation and smaller animals as well as numerous ocean life such as plankton and water plants. As all of these life forms died, they decomposed into the earth. "

(But the dinosaurs for some reason were exempt from this process because they are special magical animals that don't like to turn into oil. Unlike those other animals.)

Dinosaur bones don't contribute and neither do bones of smaller animals. Other organic matter including plants, skin, muscle, fat etc would contribute including the parts of the dinosaur that aren't bone or cartilage. And though they were large it doesn't mean dinosaurs would have been the majority of the organic mass. Ants are said to have about the same mass as the humans currently alive. And termites somewhere between 2 and 4 times the mass of humans. That isn't counting all the other insects in the world. Humans are fairly large animals, but do not make up all that much of the organic mass of living creatures the world over.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But if the oil is running out soon then we are not going to have time to make significant changes to the air. I mean, there isn't enough oil, regardless of how much we ration it, to end up greatly affecting the climate. Because it will run out. It's in limited supply and people are worried about it disappearing and becoming too expensive to afford for daily commutes.

Politely, you are very uninformed on these matters.

Do a little self-educational reading on the subject.

If the estimates of human effect on global warming are in the ballpark correct, and the estimates of known reserves are roughly correct, then burning what is left will cause considerable additional warming. What that means, and how we might adapt and how much damage it does to the ecosystem is a bit more foggy, but the results surely aren't good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why aren't they surely good? It will cause more vegetarian to grow. There will be more brown bears and less white ones (polar bears). So what? Don't you like more greenery?

Why wouldn't upsetting the balance correct itself over time? We would upset it for 100 years, but also run out of oil. Then it would autocorrect itself back to... whatever. Since the climate is supposed to be some perfect unchanging stable thing.

And YOU are giving me the education. Without pay of course, by responding to idiots like me, who write idiotically on a forum like this, but you should be happy to be the teacher a little, and potentially help avoid the imaginary catastophes you and others here fear about the future, by informing ignorant low-lifes like myself, about these sort of things. Even though we tend to be hardened skeptics that will just thumb our nose at things and be quite ugly about it.

So you want me to spoon feed you the knowledge because you aren't interested enough to get it for yourself? Not interested.

The cleverness with which you impressed yourself will have to do. Vegetarian I assume was vegetation. All your facts are about this correct.

I'm old enough it won't bother me too much either way.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Having a bad day?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Dinosaur bones don't contribute and neither do bones of smaller animals. Other organic matter including plants, skin, muscle, fat etc would contribute including the parts of the dinosaur that aren't bone or cartilage. And though they were large it doesn't mean dinosaurs would have been the majority of the organic mass. Ants are said to have about the same mass as the humans currently alive. And termites somewhere between 2 and 4 times the mass of humans. That isn't counting all the other insects in the world. Humans are fairly large animals, but do not make up all that much of the organic mass of living creatures the world over.
"Although dinosaur bones do not contribute to fossil fuels, other organic matter did contribute after breaking down under some very extreme conditions."

Then why wouldn't dinosaurs also contribute? There were a lot of them and they were really big.

"If you think about what else was alive during the time of the dinosaurs, we can see that there was an abundance of vegetation and smaller animals as well as numerous ocean life such as plankton and water plants. As all of these life forms died, they decomposed into the earth. "

(But the dinosaurs for some reason were exempt from this process because they are special magical animals that don't like to turn into oil. Unlike those other animals.)

Or does it mean just the flesh of animals? It's not bones but flesh that turns into oil?

Google, Google, Google for starters. Then advance beyond that. Sheesh. o_O

Ever considered that you need to look inward? :) That has been an odd string of posts.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No, but probably for a different reason. When the fully autonomous self driving car is worked out, not long thereafter most people will not own a car. It will no longer be a personal accessory, or a particular experience. You'll dial up a ride on your preferred transportation provider, they'll show up in 5 minutes or less and take you where you are going.
That will be a terribly boring world to live in. They can all sit around then and have a pseudoscience experience of driving a awesome high performance car on their iphones and "think" it's like the real thing. A safe PC world devoid of any intense experience, less the citizen be allowed to feel emotion. :eek:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
That will be a terribly boring world to live in. They can all sit around then and have a pseudoscience experience of driving a awesome high performance car on their iphones and "think" it's like the real thing. A safe PC world devoid of any intense experience, less the citizen be allowed to feel emotion. :eek:
They're now going to be removing the windows in airliners, giving the passengers - and pilots - video screens instead.
"U.S. regulations don't actually require windows on airplanes," an FAA spokesperson said in a statement to TheStreet, later adding that it does not even require windows in aircraft cockpits. "
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/emirates-plans-to-ditch-windows-on-its-planes-14616209

Top Bottom