• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Anything that runs on the Andriod OS and in charge of my safety scares the hell out of me.
Android is just the UI for the car. Android doesn’t control the safety features.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tesla or not I'm for energies that are free...the sun, the oceans, the volcanoes, the winds, the fire, the wheel, the gravity, the rain, the waterfalls, the rocks, the dirt, the sand, the soil, the forests, the jungles, the trees, the solar energy.
And without messing the environment, the nature, the wildlife, the humanity.
Without polluting the air, the water, the food, the gardens, the brain.

Tesla will get his act together, it's a leader, it's a team, a team effort, they have credit.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I steer clear of anything Google to the maximum extent possible, and am unwilling to have mobile data active except when I am using it, that means no Volvos for me...

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The flip side of Tesla.
I remember when the coal guys started coming into Calif. as management(mining) and safety was changed from "Safety First" to "Production is first in a safe manner" They also switched from safety is the responsibility of the company to safety is the responsibility of the worker. If you read the article below you can see this in the company's statements about an injury “the employee was performing work on a piece of equipment that he was not authorized or tasked to work on.” There it is.
I knew it was bullshit at the time and the consequences would be felt by the workers. They didn't shut down the production line on this worker and this is the result.
https://www.revealnews.org/blog/im-not-who-i-used-to-be-severely-injured-worker-sues-tesla/View attachment 12896
I am kinda shocked about this. In mining there is a procedure called "lock out tag out" The employee has a lock and a key that there is only one other copy, and it is secure in the main office of the company. No one(not even the foreman or plant super) can remove that lock unless the employee is found first, or had been determined that the employee has left the job site. The locks are put in place to intentionally de-energize that part of the production line the employee is working on, there is no choice but to stop production, if stopping production is required to do the work. For example the fuse switch, it locks it in the off position. To many men had been injured or died before lock out tag out, when someone had made the mistake of thinking the job was done and started up production and then finding the men were still working on there project leading to severe injury or death or injury or death by the area not be de-energized. I know I am not familiar with the rules of auto manufacturing, but was surprised to see this basic safety requirement not being mentioned in anything I have read to this point.
Also the men doing the work have to be determined to be qualified, sending an apprentice in to do the work without supervision is a big violation. If it is anything more than flipping a switch an electrician is used. The plant had one as a regular employee who is an electrician by trade and does the work, and they did not use low paid subs.
Were I worked the situation of what happened to the above employee would not have happened because of lock out tag out and the plant was unionized, low paid unqualified subs and dangerous work would of been refused and not tolerated. But we have protection from being unionized employees.
Do I want Tesla to go away? No, we need to change off of fossil fuels and I am glad he lead the way. But they need to change there corporate safety structure. Sometime unionization is the only way to achieve this.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Cars are a national security issue, cars from Canada? Lol, what a bunch of baloney.
___

Alrighhhhhht, back to model 3 and its more serious issues...brakes and dashboard display; those are serious security issues...human protection, life issues.

If it takes only a software update to fix the breaking distance, like Elon says, then let see if the man is correct.
That's important, human lives are @ risk.
* That Tesla car that crashed into an emergency fire truck, from what the data revealed it even accelerated before the impact! You don't need to Google, I've already did.

The big screen display in the console center; we all know that for operations that demand attention, the less distraction from the road ahead the better. So Tesla ought to position those operations closer to the driver center dashboard. It doesn't take a Rocket scientist, a guy who sent his Roadster into space to figure that one out.

Time and money are on his side. The quicker the better. Lives are precious, more than all the world's technologies. Solar power is good, electric cars is good, turbine generators powered by ocean's undercurrents is good, wind turbines is good (away from populated areas), protecting lives is good, clean air is good, a healthy planet is good, healthy food, smart people is good, fine tuning is good, safety last.

safety-last.jpg

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My view on Tesla and Musk, FWIW: It's incredible how he has been able to make EVs and renewable energy cool, somehow. A global move away from fossil fuel and over to renewables and low-carbon transportation is urgently needed. That move is now underway, albeit way too slowly, and Musk has been one of the pioneers. For that, I salute him.

But I agree that Tesla seems to have a lot of issues. I wouldn't buy one myself. And I agree with @Bjorn that hydrogen cars is ultimately a much more rational solution. Technology is now underway where hydrogen can be produced through electrolysis from the excess energy from renewable energy sources like solar and wind. We're not quite there yet commercially, but in 5-6 years I think we will. That makes hydrogen fuel a rational way of doing things. In 30 years, I expect hydrogen fuel to be the norm, not EVs. That said, I think the EV boost has been important for increasing the production of batteries in general, and for leapfrogging research on battery technology.

I also think that fossil-free cars is not a panacea that will solve our challenges with fossils, energy use and pollution in itself. In major cities, it's not enough to start driving fossil-free cars. We need to stop driving private cars in the big cities altogether, and rely on collective transportation and electric bikes. When I install my leftie-commie-bastard dictatorship, I will let those people in the countryside keep on driving though!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
All cities in the world should banned emission CO2 vehicles, and super fast.
New York City, Beijing, Montreal, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Tokyo, Paris, London, ...
Human health first, breathable air quality, ozone layer, cooling the planet off, ...watch out for summer 2018.

Rod

Cars are a national security issue, cars from Canada? Lol, what a bunch of baloney.
___

Alrighhhhhht, back to model 3 and its more serious issues...brakes and dashboard display; those are serious security issues...human protection, life issues.

If it takes only a software update to fix the breaking distance, like Elon says, then let see if the man is correct.
That's important, human lives are @ risk.
* That Tesla car that crashed into an emergency fire truck, from what the data revealed it even accelerated before the impact! You don't need to Google, I've already did.

The big screen display in the console center; we all know that for operations that demand attention, the less distraction from the road ahead the better. So Tesla ought to position those operations closer to the driver center dashboard. It doesn't take a Rocket scientist, a guy who sent his Roadster into space to figure that one out.

Time and money are on his side. The quicker the better. Lives are precious, more than all the world's technologies. Solar power is good, electric cars is good, turbine generators powered by ocean's undercurrents is good, wind turbines is good (away from populated areas), protecting lives is good, clean air is good, a healthy planet is good, healthy food, smart people is good, fine tuning is good, safety last.

safety-last.jpg
I can see you never were in the front lines of resource extraction. Your callous disregard for worker safety and only worried about your safety is why we have disrespect for the professional class.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Why don't you go take a dive in the ocean to cool off.
You need to relax, you need to not take yourself too seriously, you need to see some of the humor in others. You fail to see that, you fail the reason why we are here...enjoy life.

Rod

I am not going to respond to that besides your showing yourself up about who you are.

Last edited:

Rod

I dont go away easily.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, a brief comment to the previous discussion between @Cosmik and @soundArgument on the merits of market-based solutions vs direction by the state: I think that many people nowadays tend to undervalue what state intervention can bring to the table. Let's look at history: What has been the major historical happenings which has led to technological innovation? It's one thing, basically: War. What led to the discovery of nuclear energy? WW II. What led to the large-scale implementation of airliners? WWI. Etc. The reason is simple: In wartime, the state has tended to take command, and allocate a lot of resources to solving pressing technological challenges. In peacetime, with less resources allocated to such development, innovation tends to slow down.

But even in peacetime, the state has often been important for innovation. The internet grew out of state-led military things for example. Lots of other examples. I read this book some time ago, which was enlightening: https://marianamazzucato.com/entrepreneurial-state/

That said, economies which have been run completely by that state have typically not fared that well (USSR, Cuba, etc). Some mixture of state initiative and private companies seem to be optimal. Apologies if this is venturing off-topic.

Rod

Good, I, for one, find your post quite insightful. The signal-to-noise ratio around these hills has calmed over time, but certain "consistencies" remain.
Thank you

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What led to the discovery of nuclear energy? WW II.

Inquisitive and imaginative scientists set the stage before the European War erupted.

Earlier discoveries concerning radioactive elements set the stage. Then...
While crossing a London street in 1933, Leo Szilard imagined the nuclear neutron chain reaction, the key to the atomic bomb/fission reactors. However he had no known material that would support a chain reaction.
In 1934, Leo Szilard was granted his patent on the chain reaction and the atomic bomb.
In 1936, Leo Szilard signed his patent over to the British Admiralty to keep it out of the hands of the Nazis in Germany.
In 1938, Otto Hahn in Berlin discovered that Uranium-235 fissioned when hit by a neutron and produced excess neutrons. This made Szilard's patent practical.

War/threat of war, accelerated the practical development, though.

If interested in the topic, the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb", by Richard Rhodes, is a fascinating (to me) account of all the discoveries, theoretical, and practical work leading up to the bomb.

A companion book, "Dark Sun", also by Rhodes, continues with the development of the "Super" (hydrogen bomb), as Edward Teller called it, but is not nearly as interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom