• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Tesla made a blandly designed electric sedan a status symbol, which is no small accomplishment,
Kind of like that segment of high end audio that sells unrelible, poorly designed gear on the marketing generated image of being something special. All the while taking taxpayer dollars to develop a technology that in all likelyhood will never be a viable mode of powering the majority of personal transportation. Money better spent on the further development of internal combustion and the use of alternative fuels. Today's engines are extremely clean and not deserving of the reputation earned in times past but the prepetuation of that image is making political hay for some and wasting taxpayer money on a pipe dream.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of like that segment of high end audio that sells unrelible, poorly designed gear on the marketing generated image of being something special.

If this is a reference to the D&D 8Cs, they are special, and whatever reliability or QC problems they had seem to have existed only in a particular production run.

Unlike Tesla, D&D replaced the defective product. The only hassle for me was plugging in the new ones and carrying the old ones down the elevator for courier pickup.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Agreed. Europe's diesel catastrophe, which has taken many lives and caused visible soot to form on the windowsills of our London apartment, was caused by the same misguided command-and-control approach to solving environmental problems.
Same thing happened in the US in the late 60s early 70s. In a short 5 year period ill advised government forced regulations turned great running engines that produced on average of 1 horsepower per cubic inch into anemic weasers producing under 1/2 hp per cubic inch, were running at internal temperatures way beyond what the days metallurgy could tolerate, ran on like like a backwards diesel when shut off, and gave back reduced mpg too boot. It took over 30 years to get back to where we were in power production. A perfect example of when the suits are allowed to make laws counter to common sense.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If this is a reference to the D&D 8Cs, they are special, and whatever reliability or QC problems they had seem to have existed only in a particular production run.
Don't know where you came to that conclusion but yea D&D has used there customers to do R&D a bit, but if you read this site you'll find plenty of examples of much worse

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know where you came to that conclusion but yea D&D has used there customers to do R&D a bit, but if you read this site you'll find plenty of examples of much worse

Ah, someone--and I thought it might have been you--said that D&D was using their customers for research and testing of the 8Cs after I posted about a few problems I had with them.

My apologies for jumping to a mistaken conclusion about your post.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah, someone--and I thought it might have been you--said that D&D was using their customers for research and testing of the 8Cs after I posted about a few problems I had with them.

My apologies for jumping to a mistaken conclusion about your post.
No apologies needed and I do believe it was I that said something along those lines, only cause it was true. But far and away not really what I had in mind. How many very expensive pieces of gear have you read reviews on that never make it thru the reviewing period before blowing up. Seems the higher the cost the lower the reliably factor becomes. Of course the reviewers always make some excuse for why a second sample had to be supplied, can't make a current or potential advertiser look bad.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In the UK we have legislated to ban all internal combustion engines by 2040, and some want to make it 2030!
In Norway we're talking as early as 2025....
The decision hasn't been made for certain but that's the indication.

I think it's the right decision, though 2025 is too early for the world. The car industry (and other vehicles) needs to move towards zero emission. And without political pressure, it's not going to happen. They rather earn easy money on today's technology than spending investments on something new.

However, we need to be 100% certain batteries are both made in an environmental friendly way, and can be recycled. While hydrogen cars also uses batteries, they still seem to have an advantage here. And for those who believe in lowering Co2 emission, hydrogen cars also win in that area over EVs.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No apologies needed and I do believe it was I that said something along those lines, only cause it was true. But far and away not really what I had in mind. How many very expensive pieces of gear have you read reviews on that never make it thru the reviewing period before blowing up. Seems the higher the cost the lower the reliably factor becomes. Of course the reviewers always make some excuse for why a second sample had to be supplied, can't make a current or potential advertiser look bad.

I'm sympathetic to manufacturers of reasonably priced, low-volume products with reliability problems that the manufacturer corrects after the fact. It's not realistic to expect, for instance, D&D to be able to find every conceivable fault that could occur in the 8Cs before the fact unless they sold them for twice as much money.

My sympathy goes away when such defects are found in either high-volume products, such as autos, or low-volume, insanely priced products, such as amplifiers that look like they could be used to fry eggs and in fact could be used to fry eggs.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tesla made a blandly designed electric sedan a status symbol, which is no small accomplishment, and the company's fight against the system of state-regulated, independent auto dealerships in the United States--which indisputably harm American consumers--is commendable.

However, in light of Tesla's dependence on various forms of government subsidy, Musk's attitude toward the risks that his company's products and production methods generate is perplexing. If a company relies on the public sector to stay in business, the company has to be squeaky clean, so to speak. It's impossible for a company to achieve squeaky cleanliness when it rejects the engineering and production process know-how of the major manufacturers in its sector in favor of making and selling a car in beta test mode and then relying on hacks and software updates to fix it.

On balance, I am not a fan.

Sounds like Oppo's vision. But it works, they shut down the digital manufacturing product sector two months ago.

It could happen to Tesla model 3, and spread larger.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

I think it's the right decision, though 2025 is too early for the world. The car industry (and other vehicles) needs to move towards zero emission. And without political pressure, it's not going to happen. They rather earn easy money on today's technology than spending investments on something new.

However, we need to be 100% certain batteries are both made in an environmental friendly way, and can be recycled. While hydrogen cars also uses batteries, they still seem to have an advantage here. And for those who believe in lowering Co2 emission, hydrogen cars also win in that area over EVs.

Norway is a world's leader when it comes to human's health, wealth and happiness.
Way to go! ...People with brain.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like Oppo's vision. But it works, they shut down the digital manufacturing product sector two months ago.

It could happen to Tesla model 3, and spread larger.

Oppo Digital made traditional disc players more excellently than anyone else did. Other than their avoidance of traditional dealership channels, I don't see how they resemble Tesla.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I was making a reference to beta testers and firmware updates and status symbol.
I own two universal Oppo players, and they are the very best.
Nobody can touch them, except players that excell @ one duty or another.
They don't use cheap plastic like Samsung for example.

The best is always the first to exit the doors...Pioneer Kuro, Sony Betamax, DeLorean.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Volvo is getting a lot of things right lately. All 2019 Volvo will run on full blown Android P. It’s already on the 2019 XC40. Google maps also integrate with the driver’s turn-by-turn directions as well as all other automobile functions. It’s also cool you can download many different apps. Google Assistant talks to the car for you. I have no doubt other auto manufacturers will follow Volvo’s lead.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/volvo-android-infotainment-experience/

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/09/volvo-xc-40-android-p/

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volvo is getting a lot of things right lately. All 2019 Volvo will run on full blown Android P. It’s already on the 2019 XC40. Google maps also integrate with the driver’s turn-by-turn directions as well as all other automobile functions. It’s also cool you can download many different apps. Google Assistant talks to the car for you. I have no doubt other auto manufacturers will follow Volvo’s lead.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/volvo-android-infotainment-experience/

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/09/volvo-xc-40-android-p/

So if you own an Android P Volvo, what happens when Android P is deprecated?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
So if you own an Android P Volvo, what happens when Android P is deprecated?
Good question. The UI has Volvo customs skins. I would guess that the OS would need to be updated with the Volvo skins. That wasn’t a question I heard addressed in either of those reports I posted.

It looks like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay would be obsolete with this new setup. The car would only need to get internet access; from the phone, I’m guessing.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor

For truly emission-free electric vehicles we need emission free electricity production.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For truly emission-free electric vehicles we need emission free electricity production.
Here you go:

FH6C4NNHUYBG1CE.LARGE.jpg

Sure, it may take a few months of peddling to charge your Tesla but you will be in excellent shape by the end!!!

Reactions: Rod

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom