• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last night, I watched a documentary on Marijuana.

It was awesome!

I'm gonna start watching everything that way!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Ray, do you have the link of that awesome documentary?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In other Tesla news, we took our first road trip in my wife's Model 3. The nav said we could make Atlanta-Hilton Head if we limited our speed below 70mph. Most of the roads along the way have 70mph speed limits, so we chose the slight detours to Supercharger routes. Our hotel had a "Destination Charger" so we never had any range issues.

I also got to drive the car for the first time. Seriously impressive machine. So smooth, great ride, power feels limitless. If this one ends up being reliable, corporate drama or not, I'll be likely be putting a deposit on a Model Y when it comes out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You would make a good Tesla car salesman. :)
Anyone who rides one, becomes one. :)

I have an electric Quad which I converted to run on Lithium. It is such a joy to ride it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I have to say I agree with Amir. These are impressive cars. My brother has one I've driven and a friend took delivery of his 3 weeks ago. I drove him over to pick it up.

They aren't perfect, and still a bit expensive, but much about them is very impressive vs IC engined machines. My big gripe about the model 3 is lousy visibility to the rear. You can see stuff in the mirror okay, but backing up without using the camera is not a good idea.

If you get the chance, drive one and you'll understand.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately visibility seems to have been in decline for years thanks to styling and thick pillars to improve crash worthiness. From time to time I drive Classic cars and it can feel like being in a greenhouse compared to modern cars.

On Tesla, the performance and handling is outstanding and the range is sufficient for most driving. And the driver aids are very good to help plan longer journeys. Whatever I might think of some of the things said by Elon Musk the cars are superb and have completely transformed perception of electric cars. A remarkable achievement for a new entrant to get a jump over all the established premium car makers. With no attachment to IC engines or conventional wisdom they just made the jump to pure EVs with the conviction needed to make it work.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say I agree with Amir. These are impressive cars. My brother has one I've driven and a friend took delivery of his 3 weeks ago. I drove him over to pick it up.

They aren't perfect, and still a bit expensive, but much about them is very impressive vs IC engined machines. My big gripe about the model 3 is lousy visibility to the rear. You can see stuff in the mirror okay, but backing up without using the camera is not a good idea.

If you get the chance, drive one and you'll understand.

I agree. Personally I live car-free and rely on my electric cargo bike (“Benno Boost”) for my commute and our shopping. The only car I’ve tried which makes me lust for a car is a Tesla. Not because of the environment thing, but simply because of how it feels driving it. Difficult to explain.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Question to audio enthusiasts and music lovers and great human beings (wisdom, freedom, equality, awareness, respect and coordination):

If you would make an analogy, the best analogy...Tesla model 3 is like the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of the audio scientific world. ...Name an audio component of your choice.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unfortunately visibility seems to have been in decline for years thanks to styling and thick pillars to improve crash worthiness. From time to time I drive Classic cars and it can feel like being in a greenhouse compared to modern cars.
Very true. So much harder to back up. Rear view cameras help but I miss being able to look through the rear view window.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Good news on the production of Model 3:
https://electrek.co/2018/10/01/tesla-production-record-q3-deliveries-crazier/

Also, from this weekend latest news, this is no surprise to me on this Monday morning, just like it was very easy to predict: https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/tesla-shares-bounce-back-after-friday-decline-1538405289

That's a pretty good boost in the share's price. I think we're (Elon & Tesla) on the right path now. I predict more good news going forward...like good news for the investors, for the consumers, for the green economy, ecology, geography.

Check this week for some positive outlook...on Tesla Model 3 and everything else attached to it.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
On the topic of electric cars, good news, Norway is leading the way:
https://electrek.co/2018/10/01/electric-vehicle-sales-new-record-norway-tesla/amp/

"Tesla contributed massively to all-electric vehicle deployment in the country last month with just over 2,000 new registrations."

"Can you imagine what will happen when the Model 3 is available? When the Audi e-tron is available? And all those other all-electric vehicles coming to market in the next 2-3 years?

Norway aims for all new cars to be all-electric by 2025. I think they will hit that goal easily. The last few percentage points are going to be hard, but I see them getting to ~90% by 2020."

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, new hiccup. Her license plate (called a "tag" in GA) arrived, but one of the screws holding the plate on is spinning in the plastic grommet holding it to the trunklid. Apparently it's a reasonably common issue. Some claim it's that the screws supplied are too small to bite into the grommet, though if that were the case I'm not sure why I couldn't just pull the screw out. Regardless, Tesla's mobile service people have been contacted.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seriously considered a Tesla. My biggest concern is battery life if using a supercharger - it should be OK on slower chargers. I understand the battery pack is over 40% of the cost of building the car.
Also now Jaguar have the i-Pace it makes sense for a UK resident to consider that well ahead of a foreign import with a slightly suspect out of warranty repair policy.
I am sticking to plug in hybrid for now.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I have seriously considered a Tesla. My biggest concern is battery life if using a supercharger - it should be OK on slower chargers. I understand the battery pack is over 40% of the cost of building the car.
Also now Jaguar have the i-Pace it makes sense for a UK resident to consider that well ahead of a foreign import with a slightly suspect out of warranty repair policy.
Well you're in luck. Did you read that report about the 400,00 Tesla. It was run continuously for a fleet without stop and charged ONLY with superchargers multiple times a day despite being repeatedly told by Tesla to stop. It lost only 6% battery after 200,000 miles (!) and Tesla still replaced the battery free.
https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-model-s-holds-up-400000-miles-3-years/

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you're in luck. Did you read that report about the 400,00 Tesla. It was run continuously for a fleet without stop and charged ONLY with superchargers multiple times a day despite being repeatedly told by Tesla to stop. It lost only 6% battery after 200,000 miles (!) and Tesla still replaced the battery free.
https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-model-s-holds-up-400000-miles-3-years/
I read the article.
You used selected quotes to mask the facts. You aren't a Fox News reporter are you?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I get the other concerns, but I'm not clear on why superchargers are one. If you have a PHEV, don't you have some means of charging at home? All you need is a power outlet.

Has anyone driven the BMW i3 recently? I'm not sure the suicide doors will work for my lifestyle (young daughter), but drove one when they first came out and liked it. Range is not an issue. I see a few "executive demo" 2017 models at local dealers at or around 60% MSRP (!!!) that still qualify for the EV tax credit because they've never been registered to a buyer.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe you could also limit charging rates with software on the car. So if using a supercharger, you could slow down the charging rate however much you thought safe.

Top Bottom