• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major issues with Tesla Model 3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The article I read said the average across the country was $2,500/year due to high cost of fixing the body if it gets in an accident.

I read that article and don't get it. My brother has one, and it was something like $100/year more than a Camry he has. Another friend is getting one and insurance was pretty much what he was already paying for a two year old car.

And yeah, if you think you might like it, don't drive it. You'll want one.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Car insurance seems to defy all logic, I'm always amazed at just how much quotes can differ. A few years ago I had a Subaru Legacy tourer (wagon), it wasn't one of their bonkers rally car replica Imprezza models yet some quotes were up in the thousands of pounds and I actually paid £220/year fully comp. I currently pay less for my Audi A6 than I do for the cooking model VW Golf we also have despite the Audi costing more than double and being a whole lot faster. I can't figure it out.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Car insurance seems to defy all logic, I'm always amazed at just how much quotes can differ. A few years ago I had a Subaru Legacy tourer (wagon), it wasn't one of their bonkers rally car replica Imprezza models yet some quotes were up in the thousands of pounds and I actually paid £220/year fully comp. I currently pay less for my Audi A6 than I do for the cooking model VW Golf we also have despite the Audi costing more than double and being a whole lot faster. I can't figure it out.

Get out your microscope and check the fine print. :facepalm: It could be that the risk for a second vehicle is considered less than the primary one but this won't explain the wide variation in cost across the industry.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, over time I suppose this will fix itself. A shame Tesla isn't more helpful however. In time there will be a cadre of people who know what to do for them. The internet will spread this information quickly and easily.

Looking over the opposite end, an elderly neighbor purchased a restored early Model T Ford over the internet. Had it shipped to him without ever seeing it. It looks nice, but he couldn't get it to run. Said the motor was supposed to be fully rebuilt better than new, but he suspected the other party had been less than truthful. Now model T's aren't much like more modern cars, as in not even much like 1930's cars. Where do you find an expert mechanic for a 100 year old car. Not at your Ford dealer anymore.

Well my Dad happens by, who is a pretty darn good mechanic with anything (until you get into electronically controlled fuel systems). He asks about how it runs. Hears not at all. He inquires if the neighbor will let him make some adjustments. Asks for a dime, a matchbook, and about 3 wrenches which we round up. He starts making adjustments, and has it running in a few minutes. Makes more adjustments and works on the brakes and some other items. In a half hour it is running perfectly like a brand new model T. I had no idea my Dad knew that stuff. And who knows the last time it was of any use to him. I remember a couple times he showed some people how to drive their model T. And no it isn't straightforward if you've never done it. My Dad obviously liked getting to use what seems now useless information and experience one last time.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, over time I suppose this will fix itself. A shame Tesla isn't more helpful however. In time there will be a cadre of people who know what to do for them. The internet will spread this information quickly and easily.

Looking over the opposite end, an elderly neighbor purchased a restored early Model T Ford over the internet. Had it shipped to him without ever seeing it. It looks nice, but he couldn't get it to run. Said the motor was supposed to be fully rebuilt better than new, but he suspected the other party had been less than truthful. Now model T's aren't much like more modern cars, as in not even much like 1930's cars. Where do you find an expert mechanic for a 100 year old car. Not at your Ford dealer anymore.

Well my Dad happens by, who is a pretty darn good mechanic with anything (until you get into electronically controlled fuel systems). He asks about how it runs. Hears not at all. He inquires if the neighbor will let him make some adjustments. Asks for a dime, a matchbook, and about 3 wrenches which we round up. He starts making adjustments, and has it running in a few minutes. Makes more adjustments and works on the brakes and some other items. In a half hour it is running perfectly like a brand new model T. I had no idea my Dad knew that stuff. And who knows the last time it was of any use to him. I remember a couple times he showed some people how to drive their model T. And no it isn't straightforward if you've never done it. My Dad obviously liked getting to use what seems now useless information and experience one last time.

Reminds me of 'audiophiles' buying boutique or unproven gear, finding problems and not having the knowledge on how to address them. Audio forums are full of pleas for help by those who can't clearly explain the problem. Anything less than plug-and-play is not good enough, nowadays.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of 'audiophiles' buying boutique or unproven gear, finding problems and not having the knowledge on how to address them. Audio forums are full of pleas for help by those who can't clearly explain the problem. Anything less than plug-and-play is not good enough, nowadays.
This is so true. On other Fora I read/participate in, it's a constant source of amusement. However, it's no different to pretty much any technology these days, we've become a society of users, with no knowledge of how anything we use actually works. Whether it's cameras, mobile telephones, computers or audio equipment, we expect Plug and Play, and anything that requires knowledge creates problems. Accounts for why Apple has been so successful in spite of not being especially technically advanced.

S.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see this as a positive as it is essentially the result of manufacturers generally providing cars and products which work and which don't need you to be an amateur mechanic in order to use. I don't know whether it is just a British thing but here it is common for people to bemoan poor quality of modern goods and look back with rose tinted glasses at the past. In the case of cars I'm old enough to remember my father spending half of his weekends working on his car and keeping a tool kit in the boot (trunk) on long journeys. I really don't see it as a bad thing that nowadays if people buy something then they expect it to work.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is so true. On other Fora I read/participate in, it's a constant source of amusement. However, it's no different to pretty much any technology these days, we've become a society of users, with no knowledge of how anything we use actually works. Whether it's cameras, mobile telephones, computers or audio equipment, we expect Plug and Play, and anything that requires knowledge creates problems. Accounts for why Apple has been so successful in spite of not being especially technically advanced.

S.

yep, nowadays if you cant access and read the code in the device you just will never know how it "works". When I started electronics a schematic was all you needed to repair any electrical device, audio, wireless, radar, test equipment, tv, you name it, now a schematic shows a bunch of lines coming out of a white square labeled computer, or ASIC or whatever, you can no longer "read" what it does without reading the lines of code. Not much fun really. And virtually no one not at the design level these days reads "data bus" or other communications signals, other than to say yes, there is something there, etc.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Even Dyson, the vacuum company is getting into the act with electric cars! https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/30/technology/dyson-electric-car/index.html

The maker of vacuums and hand dryers unveiled plans Thursday to invest another £116 million ($151 million) to build 10 miles of test tracks and offices for 2,000 workers at a former Royal Air Force base in England.

The company said in a statement that it is seeking permission to build tracks for testing a vehicle's maximum speed and maneuverability, as well as its performance on hills and off-road terrain.

[...]

The inventor and entrepreneur said then that he planned to invest £2 billion ($2.6 billion) to produce an electric vehicle by 2021.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see this as a positive as it is essentially the result of manufacturers generally providing cars and products which work and which don't need you to be an amateur mechanic in order to use. I don't know whether it is just a British thing but here it is common for people to bemoan poor quality of modern goods and look back with rose tinted glasses at the past. In the case of cars I'm old enough to remember my father spending half of his weekends working on his car and keeping a tool kit in the boot (trunk) on long journeys. I really don't see it as a bad thing that nowadays if people buy something then they expect it to work.
Indeed, a don't disagree, but the effect of this is that when something goes wrong, or even doesn't work as expected, users don't have the first idea what to do about it, as evidenced by the number of questions on HiFi fora about technical nonsenses as those people bought stuff without knowing why or how.

I too used to spend my weekends with a car's entrails spread about me, and I don't miss it, but at least I got to know how a car works.....although can't say I could do much about my current computer-on-wheels if it goes wrong. Those who didn't pass their formative years up to their elbows in big ends or biasing up tape machines or messing around with 400v HTs will never understand how we got from then to now.

S

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Even Dyson, the vacuum company is getting into the act with electric cars! https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/30/technology/dyson-electric-car/index.html

The maker of vacuums and hand dryers unveiled plans Thursday to invest another £116 million ($151 million) to build 10 miles of test tracks and offices for 2,000 workers at a former Royal Air Force base in England.

The company said in a statement that it is seeking permission to build tracks for testing a vehicle's maximum speed and maneuverability, as well as its performance on hills and off-road terrain.

[...]

The inventor and entrepreneur said then that he planned to invest £2 billion ($2.6 billion) to produce an electric vehicle by 2021.

That's good.

Some more news about Tesla...
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/31/the-people-who-could-help-musk-run-tesla.html
https://electrek.co/2018/09/01/tesla-roadster-embarrassing-supercar-maker-koenigsegg/amp/

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well they have lost one sale. I was planning to replace my A6 with a Tesla next year but Mrs JJB has put her foot down and told me we won't be buying anything from a company associated with Elon Musk. She is very cross about his tantrums accusing the diver who helped rescue those Thai boys trapped in a cave of being a paedophile. I can't say I disagree with her really, there are plenty of alternatives without that baggage.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the young engineers I used to work with has a senior engineering role at Jaguar Land-Rover now. They seem very pleased with their new iPace electric car which is much less expensive than a Tesla (at least here) and is perhaps more likely to have long term service backup.
Lots of EVs about to appear from the big makers in the next year.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/29/technology/business/elon-musk-tesla-sec-settlement/index.html

Elon Musk agreed Saturday to step down as chairman of Tesla and pay a $20 million fine in a deal to settle charges brought this week by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Under the settlement, which requires court approval, Musk will be allowed to stay as CEO but must leave his role as chairman of the board within 45 days. He cannot seek reelection for three years, according to court filings.
He accepted the deal with the SEC "without admitting or denying the allegations of the complaint," according to a court document.

Top Bottom