• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major confusion over Motu M2 - a lot of conflicting reviews

xeizo

I have the M2, it got rave reviews back when but I'm unimpressed. Sounds clinical, not bad but something is missing. I use the Tascam Model 12 for my recordings, maybe not as super clean but a warm and musical sound that is just right in every way. And of course it is much more versatile as it is also a digital mixer. The Tascam has useless headphone out though, very low quality, thankfully it sounds pristine on the XLR sub out using an external headphone amp.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
It lacks bass. It lacks some warmth and presence. It lacks musicality. I am going to return mine and buy the Audient id14 mkII again (I made the mistake of selling mine thinking that the motu was better). Audient is a much better interface to work with, it inspires me to record great stuff.
If you do and post here a loop back test showing frequency response from 20 to 20k and SINAD (eg done with REW) we would actually see if there is merit to your claim.

malp

I have the M2, it got rave reviews back when but I'm unimpressed. Sounds clinical, not bad but something is missing. I use the Tascam Model 12 for my recordings, maybe not as super clean but a warm and musical sound that is just right in every way. And of course it is much more versatile as it is also a digital mixer. The Tascam has useless headphone out though, very low quality, thankfully it sounds pristine on the XLR sub out using an external headphone amp.
This is exactly how I think and feel about the MOTU M2, unfortunately because I was having great expectations.

malp

If you do and post here a loop back test showing frequency response from 20 to 20k and SINAD (eg done with REW) we would actually see if there is merit to your claim.
Sorry, not everything is about graphs In music and sound. I trust more in my ears than in any graph. I have compared side by side and the Audient id14mk2 is warmer, fuller, more musical to me. I am going to send my M2 back because it is in 30 days money back guarantee.

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry, not everything is about graphs In music and sound. I trust more in my ears than in any graph. I have compared side by side and the Audient id14mk2 is warmer, fuller, more musical to me. I am going to send my M2 back because it is in 30 days money back guarantee.
I trust the review measurements done here much more than your ears. ;)

You’re just fooling yourself, but it’s your money spend as you like, of course.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
As @Trell said, it is likely your brain is fooling yourself unless you do some level matched controlled tests. Look here in the forum for Psychoacoustics and Amir has a video on it.

Not saying there isn’t a difference but only some hard facts (eg REW) can tell.

Many of other forums out there and manufacturers which tell stories to boost sales and peddle their misconceptions.

xeizo

As @Trell said, it is likely your brain is fooling yourself unless you do some level matched controlled tests. Look here in the forum for Psychoacoustics and Amir has a video on it.

Not saying there isn’t a difference but only some hard facts (eg REW) can tell.

Many of other forums out there and manufacturers which tell stories to boost sales and peddle their misconceptions.

But M2 has a objective bass roll off when you measure it, and the ESS IMD hump as well as a pretty low headroom, it do not measure flawless if that is what you thought?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
But M2 has a objective bass roll off when you measure it, and the ESS IMD hump as well as a pretty low headroom, it do not measure flawless if that is what you thought?
It did not say that there is not a difference ..... "Not saying there isn’t a difference but only some hard facts (eg REW) can tell." But I am not the one making the claim, I just would like to see evidence from the one, which made the claim and not just anecdotes. That´s all.

xeizo

The hard fact is the M2 is a good but not remarkable USB interface and is perceivably lesser sounding than more professional gear, differences are small though and if you record a mix with the M2 I'm sure no-one could tell it was recorded with a lesser interface. It does what it is supposed to do, and that is not to be a USB DAC for HiFi enthusiasts even if it can do that task reasonably well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The hard fact is the M2 is a good but not remarkable USB interface and is perceivably lesser sounding than more professional gear,

Would love to see someone demonstrate that inferiority with a valid listening test. Assertions are easy...

xeizo

Would love to see someone demonstrate that inferiority with a valid listening test. Assertions are easy...

I just wrote "no one could tell it was recorded with", don't we mean the same thing?

With perceivably I mean it is possible to perceive under certain conditions, that's why Motu has higher performing gear to offer, not for it to be vastly inferior. It do sound good, but it is not endgame, and that is that.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@malp @xeizo

So let me do the work for you this once.... it´s all there and that is what we want to see here - not stories and speculation (... percievably....).

1) No one said there arent any better interfaces
index.php

2) The most obvious difference in the measurements of the M2 vs the other interfaces (next to SINAD) is this (roll off of ca. 0.4dB from ca. 80 to 20Hz).
index.php

So now... is that audible? I dont know, you dont know and we can speculate all day long - only facts (controlled listening tests) as @BDWoody already indicated would tell.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
With perceivably I mean it is possible to perceive under certain conditions,

Right... Easy to assert. What conditions? Can you demonstrate this with real music and without extreme gain riding?

The hard fact is the M2....is perceivably lesser sounding than more professional gear...

Sounds clinical, not bad but something is missing.

I just wrote "no one could tell it was recorded with", don't we mean the same thing?

No, we don't. I'd like to see you demonstrate the assertions you are making that it is so clearly and obviously inferior. Without that, it is just another assertion/claim that has no backing.

xeizo

I never ever said "inferior", you are putting words in my mouth which are shoddy to say the least. I would expect better from a moderator. If you read again what i wrote I write in essence "barely audible" but with other words.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I never ever said "inferior", you are putting words in my mouth which are shoddy to say the least. I would expect better from a moderator. If you read again what i wrote I write in essence "barely audible" but with other words.

So, if something is missing, that isn't inferior. Ok, got it.

So, back to the assertions you are making... Does it make you feel better if I say that I'd like to see you demonstrate these differences (which aren't about one sounding inferior?), which you have been asserting all along.

Trell

Major Contributor

With perceivably I mean it is possible to perceive under certain conditions, that's why Motu has higher performing gear to offer, not for it to be vastly inferior. It do sound good, but it is not endgame, and that is that.

So, the M2 is both perceivably lesser sounding than more professional gear but no one can tell the difference? :D

What you wrote:

"The hard fact is the M2 is a good but not remarkable USB interface and is perceivably lesser sounding than more professional gear, differences are small though and if you record a mix with the M2 I'm sure no-one could tell it was recorded with a lesser interface."

xeizo

What do you want more? I say it's good, and that no-one can notice any difference in a real situation. That is not the same as no-one wont notice any difference in ANY situation.

If we're going down that route, no consumer needs gear with better than 90dB SINAD as that is the max limit for CD mastering and we can all go back to 80:s gear

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
What do you want more? I say it's good, and that no-one can notice any difference in a real situation. That is not the same as no-one wont notice any difference in ANY situation.

If we're going down that route, no consumer needs gear with better than 90dB SINAD as that is the max limit for CD mastering and we can all go back to 80:s gear
You are still missing the point.
Based on what would „no one notice a difference in ANY situation”. Yes maybe or maybe not. You are still speculating and trying to cast doubt without so far a single shred of evidence.

xeizo

There are a lot of reviews out there, with measurements, it's not the best interface ever. However, most shortcomings are in the recording end of things, not playback of already made files.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
There are a lot of reviews out there, with measurements, it's not the best interface ever. However, most shortcomings are in the recording end of things, not playback of already made files.
Don’t switch the subject. No one said there aren’t any better interfaces. It is all here in the forum. See my post further up.

We are still waiting for you to produce evidence why „no one would notice a difference in ANY situation”?

Top Bottom