• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Major Advance in LCD Technology: Closing the Gap with OLED?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
LCDs took a major step in color fidelity with advent of "Quantum Dot" technology. You can read a lot more about it in an article I wrote a while back https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ge-hdr-and-wide-gamut-video-technologies.669/). Briefly, you shine blue light at these Quantum-effect material. Depending on the size of the particle, you can generate any wavelength light you want. Select the right size and shining blue generates red!

This has led to the marketing term "QLED" from likes of Samsung.

Quantum Dot is currently implemented as a thin film over the LCD backlight. Now it seems to be drastically changing its role, going to the front of the LCD itself! That makes it a form of emissive solution kind of like OLED. Poor man's OLED maybe. :)

See this very informative interview with president of Nanosys who is one of the key manufacturers of Quantum Dot. Must watch:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds very promising. Did you catch when this will be in real products, he mentioned some trade show I didn't catch.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
It’s ironic he’s talking in Las Vegas about a TV approaching the ability to reproduce the rock formations one can see at Red Rock National Park just 30 minutes away. I wonder how many geeks at CES take the time to get their asses out on the trail and go for a hike in the high desert. It’s beautiful there and I think very few visitors go.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sounds very promising. Did you catch when this will be in real products, he mentioned some trade show I didn't catch.
He said those products are in development this year and only (prototypes) being shown to people in closed rooms. And that 2019 is the year that it will come out due to new tooling in LCD manufacturing.

The original Quantum Dot was very easy to incorporate since it only impacted the backlight, not the LCD process itself. They got their foot in the door that way so now they are going fully integrated since this is such a desirable marketing and technical feature.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It’s ironic he’s talking in Las Vegas about a TV approaching the ability to reproduce the rock formations one can see at Red Rock National Park just 30 minutes away. I wonder how many geeks at CES take the time to get their asses out on the trail and go for a hike in the high desert. It’s beautiful there and I think very few visitors go.
A group of us went there while at one CES. We woke up in the middle of the night to drive there and capture the sunrise. Alas, that part, i.e. catching the sunrise was a bust as it did not add much to the scenery. And we all had meetings and work to do all the day so got back to Vegas by 11:00 or something. Still as you see, the rocks are amazing as are the carvings you find on them.

Nobody else showed up so you are right that outside of us photographers, there was no interest to go there.

I also hit the Hoover Dam one time and that was very worthwhile.

The Grand Canyon was next for me to go but never made it. And have yet to go!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He said those products are in development this year and only (prototypes) being shown to people in closed rooms. And that 2019 is the year that it will come out due to new tooling in LCD manufacturing.
I remembered the slow speed playback control in youtube, he says they will be announced at IFA (@2:47), which is late August, so maybe out end of the year.

I'm always amazed by how fast new things can be put into production, and how expensive they must be to tool up for, in a market that is always reported as not making a profit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. History of this is that Sony put Quantum Dot in their LCD TV first. Priced it very high, in a recession, and the next year discontinued! Then they went back full circle when everyone else jumped on it, helped by wide gamut requirement of UHD Blu-ray.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Be interesting to see if it makes it this time around. I read a lot about the Sony and Samsung solutions but ultimately bought an LG OLED (OLED65C7P) last year while it was on sale (then it went on sale for the same price a little later, and again a little lower, before I had 100 hours on it, natch). Gave my old but still-working 52" Samsung LCD to my older son (so of course my younger son thinks he's getting the OLED; not happening anytime soon!) I had always considered LG a little lower tier than Sony and Samsung but the latter just could not compete on price and performance this time around. A projector would be tough in my media room so I did not seriously consider that, plus as Amir has said before the cost of projector, screen, and installation would have far exceeded the TV and not given me all that larger a picture due to the constraints of my room (and budget).

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I got an LG OLED TV too last year. I also have a good JVC projector that’s only a few years old in another room. There’s no question the OLED is superior. I wonder if even the newest best projectors can compete with these new TV set technolgies. I’m not at these shows enough to know the difference. But my guess is that projectors will someday be obsolete.

Brad

The modular microLED displays will one day replace projectors, but at the moment they are so expensive that they don’t even disclose the price

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm a bit biased against the current OLED technology due to it's vulnerability to the old burn-in issue.
With today's networks insistence on pinning their logo's in the lower right corner of the screen, I would fear that long term viewing of these stations could permanently ruin a very expensive TV in a fairly short term. I got burned by this situation back in the pre-flatscreen era after buying a expensive 55" rear projecti0n set. I had suffered a on-the-job injury that had me laid up for about 2 months during which time I fell asleep many nights watching whatever it was on A&E and a few other stations. Then one day I noticed the logos had done permanent damage with the logos ghosted to a TV I made a big financial stretch to obtain. :(
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm a bit biased against the current QLED technology due to it's vulnerability to the old burn-in issue.
With today's networks insistence on pinning their logo's in the lower right corner of the screen, I would fear that long term viewing of these stations could permanently ruin a very expensive TV in a fairly short term. I got burned by this situation back in the pre-flatscreen era after buying a expensive 55" rear projecti0n set. I had suffered a on-the-job injury that had me laid up for about 2 months during which time I fell asleep many nights watching whatever it was on A&E and a few other stations. Then one day I noticed the logos had done permanent damage with the logos ghosted to a TV I made a big financial stretch to obtain. :(
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Samsung's take on burn-in(OLED not QLED): https://news.samsung.com/global/thi...d-tvs-the-solution-for-video-game-enthusiasts

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Samsung's take on burn-in(OLED not QLED
OPPS, senior moment at the keyboard there, sorry. ;)

Yes I was aware of that thread and quite a few others. Over at AVS forum the issue has been widely discussed with pic's posted etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...8-2017-lg-oled-master-information-thread.html
I don't believe anyone is denying that OLED's are susceptible to burn-in, they only debate the severity of the problem.
The facts are that both OLED's and LCD's have their advantages and disadvantages. OLED's have some very attractive strengths that's for sure. But I feel the burn-in issue has been swept under the rug when it comes to the general public's knowledge.
For me the possibility that a VERY expensive large screen OLED might be damaged by some real-world usage is a deal breaker.
YMMV

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I've been occasionally checking in at https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled to see their results. They are starting a "real world" test that should be interesting. I debated on the burn-in issue and it was a concern, but other reviewers seemed to think it was not an issue for most general users (not gamers or 24/7 news watchers). I do watch some sports on mine but it is far too new to see if there is any burnin from that (and I would have to figure out how to test for it). Mostly I watch movies and the chances of burn-in is low in that application. I've lived with burn-in problems on previous CRT TVs, both regular screen and projectors, mainly thanks to kids with games. One of the reasons for my previous LCD model was to avoid burn-in when they played their games for hours on end. They are out of the house (mostly), and I am not a gamer, so I decided to go for the OLED picture quality and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. And of course the old LCD panels (like mine) would start to dim and band at the edges a bit as the lights wore out (newer ones, at least the higher-end ones, use longer-lasting LED lighting instead of flourescent and some use local LEDs). Quantum dot technology was too expensive for me at the time.

Wombat

Master Contributor
OPPS, senior moment at the keyboard there, sorry. ;)

Yes I was aware of that thread and quite a few others. Over at AVS forum the issue has been widely discussed with pic's posted etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...8-2017-lg-oled-master-information-thread.html
I don't believe anyone is denying that OLED's are susceptible to burn-in, they only debate the severity of the problem.
The facts are that both OLED's and LCD's have their advantages and disadvantages. OLED's have some very attractive strengths that's for sure. But I feel the burn-in issue has been swept under the rug when it comes to the general public's knowledge.
For me the possibility that a VERY expensive large screen OLED might be damaged by some real-world usage is a deal breaker.
YMMV

My Panasonic(2009) Plasma screen has burn-in from the program guide and the DVR menu displays. Panasonic said it wasn't a problem when it was a current model. Later models had a prevention system.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Is it true that OLED has a much less harmful blue light spectrum than other screen technologies?
http://www.lgoledlight.com/blue-light-hazard-for-the-human-eye/

I’ve been trying to stay off of screen time for at least an hour before bed so I don’t signal unnatural blue light to my suprachiasmatic nucleus and screw up my circadian rhythm.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
One of the best books I’ve read in a long time:
Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, PhD.
It’s a crash course on the latest sleep science. I learned a lot of useful info.

Attachments

• 574F3872-9701-47C5-B0E3-F215683FC6C7.jpeg
    574F3872-9701-47C5-B0E3-F215683FC6C7.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom