• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepans and Amplifier Current

DynamicX

Pro amps like the Crown in general have different gain structure and lower SNR than typical consumer amps. I have one Buckeye NC252MP-based amp (for my overheads), and a couple of Emotiva amps (class AB, old Gen1 models), so I am the last guy to ask about audiophile amps. In addition to Buckeye, amps I would look at for myself include ATI (they have class D and AB), Benchmark (pricey but superb performance, two channels), Bryston (expensive old-school amps, look for used), Sanders (a number of folk pair a Magtech amp with their Maggies and he also has an ESL version, again more expensive), etc. There are so many good amps available now it's hard to choose. I used a tube amp (ARC) on my Maggies for a long time, but I personally do not recommend a tube amp on ESLs due to their changing load impedance. Opinions vary.

I expect you do not need a huge amp as you'll end up overdriving the panels. I suspect you are nowhere near pushing the power limits of the Crown. You can look at an online calculator to get a ballpark for what you might need, and I'd look at the 4-ohm power ratings for the Maggies or the MLs. E.g. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html will give you a rough idea of how much power you need. 80 dB average SPL is very loud to me; YMMV.

There is always going to be The Next Big Thing coming. If your current amp is powering them to levels plenty loud enough, I would not be in a hurry to spend money. If you must get rid of it, PM me and I'll tell you where to send the check. :)

HTH - Don
Sorry this is off topic now, I had 2 emotivas xpa2 gen1s siting on acrylic with blue led's,, it looked nice, one stopped clicking into power so I sold my old one. I suspect it's the psu board. I'm not a fan of the idle power draw so Rip class a/b , have u ever had an emotiva with flashing Led that won't power fixed? Sorry again we are getting off topic

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sorry this is off topic now, I had 2 emotivas xpa2 gen1s siting on acrylic with blue led's,, it looked nice, one stopped clicking into power so I sold my old one. I suspect it's the psu board. I'm not a fan of the idle power draw so Rip class a/b , have u ever had an emotiva with flashing Led that won't power fixed? Sorry again we are getting off topic
I have not but a number of others have. Emotiva has a rep for not providing long-term support. Mine (Gen1) are all still working.

HoJ76

I had a mg12qr for 11 years but sold it last year, I miss the sound of the Magnepan, and am considering a 1.7. In the meantime, I have changed amplifiers, now use an Icepower 2000ashv, active crossover/MiniDsp Flec and Dirac are also used - as well as two subs.

The question is, has anyone tried Magnepan with IcePower (2000as)?

Sukram

I'm using a VTV purifi amplifier with my 3.7i - superb.
dbx venu360 for active crossover and room correction
Rythmik F12 subwoofer

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Hafler JF2000 (aka Rockford Fosgate RF2000)? This was another amp that could double down.
Not really
"its 1,000-Hz output clipped at 345 watts into 8 ohms and at 565 watts into 4 ohms. In dynamic power tests, the 8-and 4-ohm power levels at clipping were 450 and 720 watts, respectively, corresponding to dynamic-head-room figures of 7 and 7.6 dB. Since the average power is relatively low during these tone-burst tests, we were also able to measure the 2-ohm dynamic power—a most impressive 1,150 watts!"
A bunch of power to be sure, but not a perfect voltage source by any means. Then as someone around here posts if you have just way more than enough power you don't have to worry about any of this. At least from a power point of view.

Heyu

I'm looking to get some Magnepan 1.7i. From what I've read, they are low sensitivity, like my KEF LS50 speaker. But they also apparently like high current to be at their best.

I'm looking at getting Purify ET400a-based monoblocks. They are rated at about 425W into 4 Ohms and current is like 25A. These are supposed to be like the successor to the Hypex units. Now I know I'm on ASR and these amps should all sound the same, but for those who believe in audible differences I've heard that the Purifi is supposed to be even better sounding with improved soundstage and clarity.

The other option is Hypex NC1200-based monoblocks. They are rated at about 700W into 4 Ohms and current is like 40A.

Given the above, which is likely to get the best out of the Magnepan 1.7i speakers?

Thanks!
Is a current of 25A enough for Magnepan? My amp had 60A and I question if it is enough?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Is a current of 25A enough for Magnepan? My amp had 60A and I question if it is enough?
25 A continuous would probably cause damage... At 4 ohms, 25 A will deliver 2,500 W so yes that is plenty. P = I^2 * R where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

gwing

Forum Donor
Easily good enough I would have thought.

I once had a pair of Magnepan 3As and , yes, they were of course a bit too much for my little 10W valve amp. But the big 60W valve jobbie I replaced it with had no trouble at all (to be fair it was a bit of a beast more reminiscent of a space heater than a modern amp) but it was still only 60W into 6 Ohms.

MRC01

Major Contributor
@DonH56 answered the question. I've owned the Magnepan 3.6/R for over 20 years. Magnepans have a relatively smooth, flat impedance vs. frequency curve. Mine are about 4.25 ohm in the bass and 3.3 in the treble. Their 4 ohm nominal impedance means voltage will be 4 times higher than current. For example, cranked up to 40 V, they will draw 10 A while dissipating 400 W of power. And the Magnepan 1.7 can't handle 40 V, so they will never draw more than 10 A.

Heyu

@DonH56 answered the question. I've owned the Magnepan 3.6/R for over 20 years. Magnepans have a relatively smooth, flat impedance vs. frequency curve. Mine are about 4.25 ohm in the bass and 3.3 in the treble. Their 4 ohm nominal impedance means voltage will be 4 times higher than current. For example, cranked up to 40 V, they will draw 10 A while dissipating 400 W of power. And the Magnepan 1.7 can't handle 40 V, so they will never draw more than 10 A.
In my situation with the LRS the Parasound hca 1500a should suffice?

MRC01

Major Contributor
In my situation with the LRS the Parasound hca 1500a should suffice?
Googling that amp, I find that its continuous rated power into 4 ohms is 315 watts (35.5 V and 8.9 A). That's almost certainly greater than what the LRS can handle, which seems to be the definition of "suffice".

Heyu

Googling that amp, I find that its continuous rated power into 4 ohms is 315 watts (35.5 V and 8.9 A). That's almost certainly greater than what the LRS can handle, which seems to be the definition of "suffice".
I've been getting the tubes bug like Black Ice Fusion F35 but likely I'm better off with the Parasound.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If nobody has posted, here is an impedance curve (a few posts down) of a Magnepan 1.7i
https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/105876-magnepan-17-active-crossover-tri-amping/
Here is another thread, showing the same curve but also another one (by Neolith posted on October 22, 2015 at 08:24:05). Same kind of thing. Someone upthread posts how the impedance is so dangerous going down to like 2Ω at 20 kHz but there is little power up there. Really a lot of other speakers seem a much tougher load.
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=345736

Top Bottom