• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan Made In America: ie video of how a LRS is made

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've got to say that the manufacturing process looked a bit DIY and not all that precise. From the looks of things, I can imagine unit to unit variation to creep in verses if these were made by machine. The sausage factory thing - if I were thinking of buying one of these speakers, I would not want to see them being made. I could be totally wrong, but the video isn't confidence inspiring.

Newman

Major Contributor
I'm not American so I see the claim to fame as a negative.

Scrappy cottage industry fabrication and assembly, combined with disregard for basic workplace safety and just a hint of untrained labour, only seals the deal with a big NO THANKS for me.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man, there is just nothing about these speakers or the manufacturing process that I find the least bit impressive. Which, given that I live in St. Paul, MN, is a shame. I wish nothing but the best for the workers.

Chaconne

I thought the same thing as stated above about worker safety and the seeming lack of precautions. But then I assumed that if no safety precautions were being taken, then there were no safety risks with the processes shown in the video. I would love to hear how Magnepan (or OSHA!) would respond to this issue. Are there, in fact, risks, and if so, why aren't they being addressed?

amper42

Major Contributor
Interesting video. I ordered my LRS with a while fabric. They had small rips on the edges by the time they arrived. The fabric is very fragile. A cat confusing the LRS with a clawing post would shred the speakers in no time. They need optional spikes on the fabric as a claw deterrent. :D

Scratching post variations:

airgas1998

a few things...........tedious repetitive work by humans=large variances in QA control....osha would have fun in their....workers probably make sub-par wages...yes, based on what i see on the video, and no not bashing the employees as i'm no better than them. i see now how that msrp(lrs) is where it's at based on materials used....don't think i want to add any money into the uppers pockets based on this video....

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I find mystifying is how the manufacturers of some equipment like to vaunt their 'hand-made' credentials, as presumably there's a type of customer that buys into this. Anyone who understands about product variability would know to prefer something made by automation, where there's a better chance that every one will be the same. Robots don't get tired or hungry or have problems at home.

Compare the variability of Koetsu cartridges with Audio Technica or Ortofon.

S.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I thought the same thing as stated above about worker safety and the seeming lack of precautions. But then I assumed that if no safety precautions were being taken, then there were no safety risks with the processes shown in the video. I would love to hear how Magnepan (or OSHA!) would respond to this issue. Are there, in fact, risks, and if so, why aren't they being addressed?
Uh, spraying paint and adhesive without a respirator? Operating a wood milling machine without a respirator or hearing protection?? You can bet that is the poster child for unsafe, and wouldn't fly with any safety agency. I think this video is going to cause them more problems than the promotion of their product warrants. :facepalm:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thanks to @TitaniumTroy (who I know from the Sound & Vision forum days) for posting this. I hope he doesn't take offense that this video seems to have not done any favors for Magnepan.

Chaconne

Uh, spraying paint and adhesive without a respirator? Operating a wood milling machine without a respirator or hearing protection?? You can bet that is the poster child for unsafe, and wouldn't fly with any safety agency. I think this video is going to cause them more problems than the promotion of their product warrants. :facepalm:
Uh, I've never been within a million miles of any of that stuff. Apparently you have. So...
I'm an English major who became a writer. If you want to talk about objective correlatives, parallel syntax or negative capability, I could probably "Uh" you all day long.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I agree, the working conditions there look terrible. Perhaps this video will serve the purpose of instigating the process of putting proper safety measures in place.
And apparently no COVID precautions in place either. If I were them, I'd be hugely embarrassed that the video ever saw the light of day.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Uh, I've never been within a million miles of any of that stuff. Apparently you have. So...
I'm an English major who became a writer. If you want to talk about objective correlatives, parallel syntax or negative capability, I could probably "Uh" you all day long.
Manufacturers ignoring common sense safety rules is extremely serious and happens all to frequently in industry. If you were to inhale paint vapor or wood dust all day long in your writing duties, you would have a very short career with a painful end. I wouldn't be cavalier about the risks many workers take to make the products you use every day.

Ordin Aryguy

Speaking as a proud LRS owner, I cannot see how Magnepan can charge what they do for the speakers. These speakers have only a single automated workstation, that being the frame router. Everything else is hand done, labor intensive, and very "crafty."

Yes, we all saw some things that could and should be improved from a manufacturing safety perspective. However, at the same time we may not have seen other measures that might have been in place such as negative pressurization zones to draw away particulates and VOC's. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback, and not see the whole field of play.

Again, given the labor intensive manufacturing processes, I just can't see how these speakers are sold at the price point they are.

Happy as hell with my LRS's.

Ordin

YSC

Major Contributor
Speaking as a proud LRS owner, I cannot see how Magnepan can charge what they do for the speakers. These speakers have only a single automated workstation, that being the frame router. Everything else is hand done, labor intensive, and very "crafty."

Yes, we all saw some things that could and should be improved from a manufacturing safety perspective. However, at the same time we may not have seen other measures that might have been in place such as negative pressurization zones to draw away particulates and VOC's. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback, and not see the whole field of play.

Again, given the labor intensive manufacturing processes, I just can't see how these speakers are sold at the price point they are.

Happy as hell with my LRS's.

Ordin
well, no masks during spray is nothing can be excused of with other measures, you will inhale all the harmful substances even with negative pressure, plus for that workshop there's no way such can be achieved. Crafty products are something I can appreciate, but lack of basic health protection is definitely not good, especially when you really like the brand

SteveMorris

Forum Donor
I confess that I lack OSHA expertise but my guess would be the Maggie air is cleaner than freeway rush hour, Seattle during forest fire season or the inside of most geniuses homes.

Magnepan Inc's last OSHA inspection with a violation was in 2012 with 2 machine guard violations with a current penalty of $525.

The green spray adhesives are water based AFAIK. The ideal safety standard is not wearing a mask or respirator it is ventilation. Air should pull emissions away from sprayer so there is no vapor above OSHA exposure standards to inhale. I can't tell from the video how air flows near the sprayer.

The paint booth had a large vent that would be sucking room air into the booth and the painter had gloves on.

The wood working machinery in the video looks like it has required vacuums and guards except for the man blowing off bits with an air hose. The operator was wearing safety goggles. I can't see his ears well enough to see if he has ear plugs.

I can't see the head of the worker soldering the crossover but the smoke movement looks like it is being vented.

We cannot tell from the video what the noise levels are.

I don't know if these OSHA regs apply:

1910.133(a)(1)
The employer shall ensure that each affected employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards from flying particles, molten metal, liquid chemicals, acids or caustic liquids, chemical gases or vapors, or potentially injurious light radiation.
1910.133(a)(2)
The employer shall ensure that each affected employee uses eye protection that provides side protection when there is a hazard from flying objects. Detachable side protectors (e.g. clip-on or slide-on side shields) meeting the pertinent requirements of this section are acceptable.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There's no debate or wiggle room - in operations like spray painting and around wood or other dusts, a respirator is required. My wife is an HR director who deals with workplace safety issues and violations all the time, including ones seen in the video. It is possible that the laws are more lax where this factory is, but having such low regard for employee long term health is inexcusable no matter what the 'laws' are. Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they didn't wear respirators only while the video was being made to show their faces, it still presents a really, really bad impression to the public.

Top Bottom