• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
another thing may be that there is no test for detail and transparency.
speaker nosubtitle.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Show me one single, published, blind listening test of a Maggie, done by Maggie, or, better, by an independent body.

Until then, they can join the list of audio companies who verbally claim to do blind testing, but it’s just marketing trickery to fool those who want to be fooled. They wouldn’t be the first or last to disrespect their customers this way.

Just thought I’d point to the difference between actual facts and marketing facts. ;)

I doubt this. Few manfs. of any product - consumer or industrial - publish testing data. If they do, it is to assure compliance with a std. e.g. ISO 666.

Your leap to venality is not justified.

In particular, Magneplanar is about the most soft-pedaling of any HiFi co. I know of. You will often be told that you may want to keep what you have and not buy our new speakers, etc.

But I'd love to see some blind tests done.

David Harper

IMO the reason for the detail and transparency isn't because of any frequency response anomaly but rather because of the nature and characteristics of the ribbon drivers. Because they're much faster than dynamic cone drivers this results in the sound quality, especially in the high frequencies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the reason for the detail and transparency isn't because of any frequency response anomaly but rather because of the nature and characteristics of the ribbon drivers. Because they're much faster than dynamic cone drivers this results in the sound quality, especially in the high frequencies.
But speed of the drivers is defined by the frequency response.

Shazb0t

You need to do more research before formulating opinions.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Which subject have you researched?
Keith

Shazb0t

I've done far more research than you have
Clearly, yet you think driver "fastness" is what gives music "detail" and "transparency".

Does this "research" define what "detail" and "transparency" are in quantifiable terms? That would be a great starting point.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. Looking at the heavily dropping FR above 10 kHz of the LRS and the flat FR of traditional domes of many speakers measured here it's clear that the LRS tweeter ribbon is not faster than those domes but slower.

IMV transparency requires low THD and IMD, not extended FR. Otherwise aged reviewers wouldn't be able to recognize it in the first place.

Shazb0t

So to summarize, the hypothesis here is that ribbon transducers have advantages due to less nonlinearities in output and lower overall distortion. To test this hypothesis we can look at frequency response and harmonic distortion levels of speakers utilizing ribbons. Do these advantages hold true in the reviews that you've seen? I have generally seen ribbons, and especially AMTs (which are promoted in the articles), have less consistent frequency response and higher distortion levels than well designed traditional dome tweeters. Even more so when pushed to higher SPL. Are there examples you can provide that show enhanced final measured linearity and lower distortion at comparable SPL to top dome tweeters? As an owner of RAAL ribbon towers, I'm genuinely curious.

mlee

So to summarize, the hypothesis here is that ribbon transducers have advantages due to less nonlinearities in output and lower overall distortion...

Hi,
I'm not claiming anything just passing along some articles that may be of interest :). But I believe there is a difference in definition between planar magnetic tweeter and a true ribbon tweeter. They are not the same animal. The LRS in this thread is a planar magnetic so the articles linked deal with this kind of technology.

I'm not an expert manufacturer or researcher but it seems like your comments for a ribbon hold true. The wide horizontal dispersion of most ribbons are comparable or wider than most larger tweeters in general. This might account for some preference but I'm not claiming to have concrete answers :).

BYRTT

Forum Donor
@David Harper in @Blumlein 88 is right there, then please reconsider if your research was flawed and the conclusion drawn too fast because of misunderstanding from start on.
I've done far more research than you have
Have research included what it means stack transducers upon each other and situate two such rows side by side to take care each their unique summing passband, yes a infinite stacked row can have some theoretical perfect behavour but never for a finite stacked row, so the finite stack length and the side by side design will add acoustic distortions that wasnt there had transducer been a single point source, then comes when a open dipole is a long stack it creates non symetric variations for cancelations. Look if stacking acoustic transducer upon each other was a perfect model we never had other than say two or three sizes of transducers listed in manufactures catalog because the rest of system designing was simply how many we would use stacked, but that is not how real world works because stacking is not flawless so catalog include tons of sizes to pick among, will mean whatever acoustic distortions talked about above or their sum have chance be responsible what you call detail so in research please check out if a single planar is still detailed enough to outperform a single whatever normal transducer.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Have research included what it means stack transducers upon each other and situate two such rows side by side to take care each their unique summing passband, yes a infinite stacked row can have some theoretical perfect behavour but never for a finite stacked row, so the finite stack length and the side by side design will add acoustic distortions that wasnt there had transducer been a single point source, then comes when a open dipole is a long stack it creates non symetric variations for cancelations. Look if stacking acoustic transducer upon each other was a perfect model we never had other than say two or three sizes of transducers listed in manufactures catalog because the rest of system designing was simply how many we would use stacked, but that is not how real world works because stacking is not flawless so catalog include tons of sizes to pick among, will mean whatever acoustic distortions talked about above or their sum have chance be responsible what you call detail so in research please check out if a single planar is still detailed enough to outperform a single whatever normal transducer.

:oops:o_O:eek:

Rac1

Don't you think it's time to give up this idea you can measure how an audio component sounds?

Whatever one may ultimately decide about the LRS--and Magnepans are notorious for lacking mid-bass presence--measurements & three days (!) of listening are insignificant guides.

It can take many listens under varying circumstances over a long period of time to make an informed opinion about a quality audio product.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you think it's time to give up this idea you can measure how an audio component sounds?

Whatever one may ultimately decide about the LRS--and Magnepans are notorious for lacking mid-bass presence--measurements & three days (!) of listening are insignificant guides.

It can take many listens under varying circumstances over a long period of time to make an informed opinion about a quality audio product.
No!

Top Bottom