• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

MRC01

Major Contributor
Roger Sanders who invented the CLS design discusses pretty clearly why he gave up on the curved panel due to multiple reasons. http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/147-dispersion-white-paper
Interesting article with some good points, but his perspective strikes me as self-justifying. Sure, a speaker / room that is tuned for optimal response at the listener position will always sound worse off-axis. Yet how much worse? With a wide/even dispersion speaker, the frequency response is not affected much and you only lose the stereo image. With a narrow dispersion speaker, being off-axis impairs both, so it's relatively worse.

That said, it's a matter of preference and we are all fortunate enough to have an abundance of riches in different speaker designs.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Roger Sanders who invented the CLS design discusses pretty clearly why he gave up on the curved panel due to multiple reasons. http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/147-dispersion-white-pape
Acoustat developed an "electrically curved" panel array. I own a pair of Acoustat SPECTRA 1100s that sidestep the problems associated with physically curved panels of arrays of angled panels, and they're are relatively free of the usual flat panel dispersion shortcomings.

Gwreck

Interesting article with some good points, but his perspective strikes me as self-justifying. Sure, a speaker / room that is tuned for optimal response at the listener position will always sound worse off-axis. Yet how much worse? With a wide/even dispersion speaker, the frequency response is not affected much and you only lose the stereo image. With a narrow dispersion speaker, being off-axis impairs both, so it's relatively worse.

That said, it's a matter of preference and we are all fortunate enough to have an abundance of riches in different speaker

That said, it's a matter of preference and we are all fortunate enough to have an abundance of riches in different speaker designs.
Definitely choices are good as the Sanders ESL’s are extremely good for single person listening in one spot but for home theater they are not my 1st choice.

Heyu

Which amp is better for Magnepan LRS based on your review the Parasound HCA 1500A or Benchmark ahb2?

Newman

Major Contributor
Whichever one has a subwoofer outlet.

AudioTodd

Which amp is better for Magnepan LRS based on your review the Parasound HCA 1500A or Benchmark ahb2?
While I have no experience with the Parasound, I have five AHB2s and can say they drive my .7s and 1.7s without a shred of a complaint.

Heyu

While I have no experience with the Parasound, I have five AHB2s and can say they drive my .7s and 1.7s without a shred of a complaint.
For example the Parasound 1500a can do 315 watts with 4 ohms with a current of 60.
Benchmark 190 watts and current 29 I believe.
What's more important the watts or current?

Reactions: TSB

igfarm

I attempted to purchase a new pair of LRS speakers. The nice salesman advised me against purchasing them since the room I was planning to put them in was too big, namely 15'x36', my main living space (living room/dining room/kitchen). He suggested I get a bigger model. I said I would get back to them once my budget got bigger or my space got smaller. I am currently happily listening to Kef LS50 Meta in the space. Is anyone else using LRS in a similarly large space, or is that not a thing?

Heyu

I attempted to purchase a new pair of LRS speakers. The nice salesman advised me against purchasing them since the room I was planning to put them in was too big, namely 15'x36', my main living space (living room/dining room/kitchen). He suggested I get a bigger model. I said I would get back to them once my budget got bigger or my space got smaller. I am currently happily listening to Kef LS50 Meta in the space. Is anyone else using LRS in a similarly large space, or is that not a thing?
I'm in a room about the size.of yours with high ceilings and my LRS sound fine. They aren't designed to play really loud anyway.

Saturn94

For example the Parasound 1500a can do 315 watts with 4 ohms with a current of 60.
Benchmark 190 watts and current 29 I believe.
What's more important the watts or current?

In this case driving Maggies, I would go with the Parasound. Plenty of current and watts is a good thing with Maggies.

I‘m driving a pair of LRS (which are crossed over to a sub at 80hz) with a Parasound Classic 5250 (5 channels, 385 wpc @ 4 ohms, 45 amps peak per channel).

Saturn94

How far will you be sitting from the LRS? Will they be crossed over to a sub? Do you like to turn up the volume, or listen at more sedate levels?

igfarm

How far will you be sitting from the LRS? Will they be crossed over to a sub? Do you like to turn up the volume, or listen at more sedate
Similar setup as in have now, speakers will flank fireplace about 7' apart and seating about 7' away from speakers. Listen to low/moderate levels.

Saturn94

Similar setup as in have now, speakers will flank fireplace about 7' apart and seating about 7' away from speakers. Listen to low/moderate levels.

Will you be using a sub? At 7 feet, and low to moderate listening levels, you would probably ok, but in that size room, running the LRS full range, adequate bass might be an issue.

Magnepan offers a generous return policy on the LRS, so an in home audition would be ideal.

Last edited:

igfarm

Will you be using a sub? At 7 feet, and low to moderate listening levels, you would probably ok, but in that size room, running the LRS full range, adequate bass might be an issue.

Magnepan offers a generous return policy on the LRS, so an in home audition would be ideal.
Yes, currently have two SVS subs. I may give them a try if I can convince the sales guy to take my order. Thanks!

Saturn94

Yes, currently have two SVS subs. I may give them a try if I can convince the sales guy to take my order. Thanks!
You could order direct from Magnepan (like someone posted earlier, I thought the LRS was only available direct from Magnepan. I got mine direct from them).

IMHO, subs definitely help. But then I like truly full range sound at sometimes spirited levels.:)

Oh, and aftermarket stands such as Magnerisers (does Magnepan offer it’s new upgraded stand yet?) make a significant improvement. ;)

356BAED8-13AE-4DF9-B798-76004419A9AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Heyu

Look up us audio mart. They currently have many LRS and one is sealed for $795.

Saturn94

Look up us audio mart. They currently have many LRS and one is sealed for $795.
Looks like the price increase and release of the LRS+ may have increased the value of the LRS.:cool:

Back in the early 80s I had a pair of SMG Maggies. I kept them 3-4 years and was able to sell them for what I paid for them new.

Heyu

Distortion
Basically the ABH2 has such low distortion that it doesn't matter if it has less watts and current that the lrs needs?
I understand clean sound but how about when it's lacking the current?

rmsanger

ABH2 with the LRS is quite great... You could try a hegel H160 or H190 used as well as the Hegel + Maggie synergy is near perfection. I jumped right passed the LRS and went to 1.7i as I found a deal I couldn't pass up. The LRS is a fun speaker and scales with better amplification/dac.

Top Bottom