• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HiFi is for one person at a time. Everything else is compromise.
:).. Okay opinion and experience for whatever systems youself had been through, myself had down the road reach some other experiences but have to rebuild system to get rid of the last bit of small discovered distortions before will feel for document such stuff for example via some in room recordings playing normal track material, that said had to admit system is not real time in it takes time to repair for time distortions :p.

Vuki

:).. Okay opinion and experience for whatever systems youself had been through, myself had down the road reach some other experiences but have to rebuild system to get rid of the last bit of small discovered distortions before will feel for document such stuff for example via some in room recordings playing normal track material, that said had to admit system is not real time in it takes time to repair for time distortions :p.
Congrats! Longest sentence on the forum. :D

Joppe Peelen

Wow ,,, i missed some replies :) for anyone that cares..

If i need to make any measurements of a big planar to proof or disprove a point, just tell me what to measure from what distance etc. i can whip out a quick one. (only in room responses, not feeling like going outside, or 3ms gates ones)

also got a 90 cm long ribbon tweeter (yes not long enough i know) so see what will happen if you make a nearfield measurement of such a long tweeter (a downward slope :))

just let me know, they and my measurement jig (not as advanced, just REW and a Isemcon mic) are standing in the living permanent anyways :)

ps i liked my tweeters inwards always. i hate having not a stable phantom mid. tweeters outside is to much floating all over the place phantom.

these are the test speakers i can measure if you like. minidsp is connected so if i need to make changes let me know.

Audio recorder here was in my back on the cough , sitting almsot against the wall.. far from ideal dont mention it :)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If i need to make any measurements of a big planar to proof or disprove a point, just tell me what to measure from what distance etc. i can whip out a quick one. (only in room responses, not feeling like going outside, or 3ms gates ones)

Make one REW measurement sweep with both speakers active exactly at your listening position (my mic is between where my ears would be) save the measurement (that's a .mdat file), zip compress the file, and you can post it right here if less than 2 meg (if that restriction is still in effect).

I measure with the mic pointing at the phantom center.

(looked at the beginning of the file above - setup looks appropriate)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Quick RTA from your video:

Choir around 5min

1601574431476.png

Strings around 6 min

1601574453065.png

Guitar Singer around 9min

1601574482547.png

---

Seems to have a little lift in the 6-12kHz range...

Strings fill the midrange, pretty flat response there...

Maybe not much below 50Hz, but don't know if the content had it. Maybe not.

Sounds good to me, though.

Room might be a little bit "live", but, so what.

---

PS: Oh... Not using a "measurement" microphone.

My handheld recorder is not very "accurate". Yours, ???

1601575462335.png

Last edited:

Joppe Peelen

Make one REW measurement sweep with both speakers active exactly at your listening position (my mic is between where my ears would be) save the measurement (that's a .mdat file), zip compress the file, and you can post it right here if less than 2 meg (if that restriction is still in effect).

I measure with the mic pointing at the phantom center.

(looked at the beginning of the file above - setup looks appropriate)
So measuring mic at listening position where the audio recorder is sitting in the video ? since that will bring out the room modes allot :) i already padded them by -8 db @ 51 hz for this recording :)

but ok both active on my sofa? eq disabled ? (only used eq for room nodes 100 hz and down)

Joppe Peelen

Quick RTA from your video:

Choir around 5min

View attachment 85713

Strings around 6 min

View attachment 85714

Guitar Singer around 9min

View attachment 85715

---

Seems to have a little lift in the 6-12kHz range...

Strings fill the midrange, pretty flat response there...

Maybe not much below 50Hz, but don't know if the content had it. Maybe not.

Sounds good to me, though.

Room might be a little bit "live", but, so what.

---

PS: Oh... Not using a "measurement" microphone.

My handheld recorder is not very "accurate". Yours, ???

View attachment 85727

nope mine is not very accurate either :) it drops below 80hz. (maybe even higher) and ignores top end :) 15Khz and up :) but yeah the ribbons tend to have a peak near 14 khz when they are not measured exact center. i cant say i measured with this zoom to see if it was in the best position. i just put it where i usually listened :) on top of the lack of 50 hz i removes 8 db at 51 hz, because it just swamps my listening experience as well as the measurement when done with the isemcon :)

on top of that i still get some comb filtering from the back wall i think :( but cant solve that for now

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So measuring mic at listening position where the audio recorder is sitting in the video ? since that will bring out the room modes allot

I measure where I listen.

but ok both active on my sofa? eq disabled ? (only used eq for room nodes 100 hz and down)

I measure how I listen.

Usually measure left, and right, and both speakers, if being picky about something. The combination is sometimes different than the individuals. I have a hole at 48Hz when both speakers play, due to phase cancellation in my asymmetrical room, for example. Here, left, right, and both, with, and without EQ:

1601579493724.png 1601579724847.png

Sometimes EQ, No EQ comparison, but always centered* at the listening position unless there is some unusual experiment to be performed.

I'm not designing speakers - you are - so measure as necessary to meet your goals.

For "listening measurement", I use "listening position".

Too logical, huh.

---

*centered - that's within a couple of millimeters of the acoustic center - REW can pin it down very precisely using Acoustic Timing Reference and comparing the arrival time of the direct sound from the left and right speakers.

Last edited:

Joppe Peelen

I measure how I listen.

Sometimes EQ, No EQ comparison, but always centered* at the listening position unless there is some unusual experiment to be performed.

I'm not designing speakers - you are - so measure as necessary to meet your goals.

Too logical, huh.

---

*centered - that's within a couple of millimeters of center - REW can pin it down very precisely using Acoustic Timing Reference and comparing the arrival time of the direct sound from the left and right speakers.

well to logical in some way. since i will never measure my speakers at listening position to have an idea how they perform, especially both active. since they will create artifacts where they both cross (one being slightly further away etc etc) . all speakers do. so top end will look worse. although the speaker might not be at fault. also low end is to much since partly thats my room (51 Hz is apparently a big node). so yeah i can make a measurement at the seating area :) it just does not say much about the speakers or the way they should be measured :) . but as i offered :) i will do them. hopefully tomorrow!

Joppe Peelen

I measure how I listen.

Usually measure left, and right, and both speakers, if being picky about something. The combination is sometimes different than the individuals. I have a hole at 48Hz when both speakers play, due to phase cancellation in my asymmetrical room, for example. Here, left, right, and both:

View attachment 85737

Too logical, huh.

---

*centered - that's within a couple of millimeters of the acoustic center - REW can pin it down very precisely using Acoustic Timing Reference and comparing the arrival time of the direct sound from the left and right speakers.

dont know what kind of room you have but that looks scary flat... i dare to say ...... you room corrected the shit out of it ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
dont know what kind of room you have but that looks scary flat... i dare to say ...... you room corrected the shit out of it ?

Uncorrected graph added above. It's boomy at "reference" levels.

Yes, I'm using a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI and AcourateDRC, with "flat" selected as a target.

My "goal" is to reproduce the electrical signal on the recording acoustically at the listening position. I get close. Compare the combined raw signal RTA from the source with the RTA response seen by the measurement mic of the EQ'd speakers at the listening position.

I don't get any complaints about the sound when it is heard, only about my method when it is explained.

Joppe Peelen

Uncorrected added above.

Yes, I'm using a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI and AcourateDRC, with "flat" selected as a target.

My "goal" is to reproduce the electrical signal on the recording acoustically at the listening position. I get close. Compare the combined raw signal from the source with the response seen by the measurement mic of the EQ'd speakers at the listening position.

I don't get any complaints about the sound when it is heard, only about my method when it is explained.

thats fine with me, do as you please :) (i wrote something like, i dare to say this is NOT a measurement at listening possition , at least not without any DSP interaction, removed that since it sounded harsh, but true in the end) everyone to there own :) for me it feels like cheating a bit :) when i make mine, i tend to not use any EQ or room correction. since i make most of my drivers myself. there might be a good reason why it is not perfect. so i can look into it some more. or try new ideas.

{edit} thats some heavy EQ by the way.... you can nmake anything look good like this to be honest.

by the way weird that you have a rising top end ?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
by the way weird that you have a rising top end ?

A little there, not much. Maybe a sagging midrange would be a better description.

I can fix it.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes. I'm inclined to check the Bose 901 measurements elsewhere on this site for comparison.

Shazb0t

I measure how I listen.

Usually measure left, and right, and both speakers, if being picky about something. The combination is sometimes different than the individuals. I have a hole at 48Hz when both speakers play, due to phase cancellation in my asymmetrical room, for example. Here, left, right, and both, with, and without EQ:

View attachment 85737 View attachment 85738

Too logical, huh.

---

Why do you EQ your speakers to flat at the listening position? Wouldn't that make the sound unnatural? You're basically forcing the speaker to output boosted frequencies from the source material in order to make it flat at your listening position. That wouldn't be how sound normally travels to you from a source? I imagine your setup sounds very bright at the listening position.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you EQ your speakers to flat at the listening position? Wouldn't that make the sound unnatural? You're basically forcing the speaker to output boosted frequencies from the source material in order to make it flat at your listening position. That wouldn't be how sound normally travels to you from a source?
No you didn't ask that.

Ray has described before how he shoots for flat despite everyone saying measured flat in room is too bright. It suits him, and he also admits some high frequency hearing loss.

Maybe we could ask Sal for an independent appraisal as he has heard Ray's system. Or probably we shouldn't.

Not trying to speak for Ray, but I know his approach has been discussed a few times before.

Shazb0t

No you didn't ask that.

Ray has described before how he shoots for flat despite everyone saying measured flat in room is too bright. It suits him, and he also admits some high frequency hearing loss.

Maybe we could ask Sal for an independent appraisal as he has heard Ray's system. Or probably we shouldn't.

Not trying to speak for Ray, but I know his approach has been discussed a few times before.
Okay, maybe I wasn't supposed to ask! But it does go against all the science regarding loudspeakers on this Audio Science forum, so I thought it was pertinent.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, maybe I wasn't supposed to ask! But it does go against all the science regarding loudspeakers on this Audio Science forum, so I thought it was pertinent.
I was just funning with you a bit. You are correct it goes against what we know, but Ray knows that and prefers it the way it is.

Top Bottom