• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electrostatic & Planar Speaker In-Room Measurements + a few other speakers

sm5

Forum Donor
In-Room measurements - not the best quality, but might be helpful to sort of get an idea of what type of frequency response some of these speakers have.

ROOM A: Small room with lots of foam **The RT60/Response JBL are 306ii in that room.
Magnepan LRS (The same exact one I sent to ASR to be measured)
Magnepan 1.7
Mini Magnepan
+ Dual DWM subs + Dual B&W 10" subs. (the DWM's didn't go low enough)
Final F90i (Flattest, but didn't get too loud)
Final 600i
Final 1000i
(Same as Essence 1600) https://www.spinorama.org/speakers/Essence Electrostatic Model 1600/Princeton/index_princeton.html
*I liked Final 600i/1000i more than Magnepans. They all needed lots of room correction or they sounded bad. You can sit or stand and things sound pretty much the same as they are so tall - but if you move side to side - the sound does change. I preferred them over JBL/Emotiva as long as they all had subs and room correction. I sat only 5' away from even the electrostatics and they sounded fine to me nearfield. (I think I'd still pick a normal speaker though nowadays rather than Planar/ESL)
JBL 306mkii with Dual B&W 10" subs
Emotiva B1+ with Dual B&W subs (I think? but subwoofer level was too low)

Room B: (No sub)
Quad Z1 + Hypex (I had these in room A - sold the Magnepan LRS and kept these for room B) Despite having a real ribbon tweeter - even with room correction it sounded a bit off compared to the Adam/Presonus speakers.
Adam T7V (Preferred more than Quad Z1 + Hypex) - Also had T5v before these but
Presonus R65 (Preferred them over the Adam T7V's but pretty close)
Christie Vive LS2S (Preferred over Presonus R65 - but terrible sounding without room correction) Maybe not as flat but just got louder. I think that's the main aspect of these: They aren't as flat even with EQ but essentially when other speakers can't go louder - these keep going and going which is why I liked them.

Room C: (Rythmik E15 sub sometimes)
Kali LP6 V2 + Rythmik E15 (I liked them - definitely for the price. I'd probably pick up these first for most things if I didn't have money for Neumann - Or Presonus/Adam)
KEF LS50 Meta + Rythmik E15 (They were okay, but not much better than Q150's or Kali's - need a sub)
Christie Vive LS2S - Not as flat as the other speakers but still got louder and sounded pretty good - I sold the Kali/Kef's keeping these.
KH80 - Can't get as loud but with sub it sounded more correct and louder than I'd ever need to listen in a small room, so I sold the Christie Vives.

Room D:
Kef Q150
+ a 4x12 Bass Guitar Cabinet - Sounds good: proably would go with these over Christies due to not needing so much
Christie Vive LS2S - I prefered the KH80's
Neumann KH80 - Sound great. With KH750 they sound really great. Would use these for active atmos setup or really anything
Neumann KH150 - Sound a bit fuller even compared to KH80 + Sub.
Neumann KH150+ KH750. Sounds great! Louder than you'd probably ever need nearfield.
The KH150's are my favorite so far. MA-1 Room correction also over Dirac then Sonarworks. Also preferred single 10" KH750 over 15" Rythmik sub.

Attachments

• Planar Electrostatic Speaker Measurements -.jpg
    Planar Electrostatic Speaker Measurements -.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 29
  • JBL Emotiva b1 sub.jpg
    JBL Emotiva b1 sub.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Quad, Adam, Presonus, Christie.jpg
    Quad, Adam, Presonus, Christie.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 23
  • JBL rt60.jpg
    JBL rt60.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Kali, Kef Christie, KH80.jpg
    Kali, Kef Christie, KH80.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Neumann, Kef, Christie.jpg
    Neumann, Kef, Christie.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If it's not too much trouble, do you mind showing REW sweeps and the RT60 graph with Topt traces? I'm wondering about the effects of foam on the reverb time.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The RT60 graph will show the effects of your treatment on reverb linearity across the spectrum. That's mostly what I'm looking for. No need for a before/after.

There's a speaker/room acoustics subforum. And a book thread in the newbie subforum. A list of good material would be welcome in either, I would think.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I haven't used REW before so hopefully this is what you're looking for?View attachment 54044
Yup, exactly that. I was curious what that much foam would do at the listening position. Seems like 50ms reverb at 20kHz, gradually sloping up to 100ms at 400Hz, then going wild below that. Not exactly linear, but more controlled than I thought. Thanks for taking the time to measure and post:)

Top Bottom