• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan Focus Group @ Audio Excellence in Markham (Toronto)

Smik66

Having owned both moderate sized Martin Logan and Magnepan speakers in the past I am very used to their dipole configuration and how it presents the soundstage in my listening room. I was invited to participate in the Magnepan Focus Group session at Audio Excellence in Markham Ontario (Toronto). I found on the first sample Japanese drum recording that there was visceral pressure being registered in my throat while high frequency attack was striking to the point of grabbing my attention when presented those notes. The second drum set track recording had more impact in the lower bass region from the kick drums and I could feel the pressure in my sternum. The soundstage panned right to left with presence and depth in the recording. There was full range sound in both recordings presented by the drum skins and initial bite from the drum strikes, impressive for a woofer system only. Cymbals were also present in the second recording, Wendell lowered to volume to save our hearing
:)

Afterwards the addition of the Martin Logan Electrostatic panels with the UBS woofers with a 500hz approximate crossover point showed a very seamless presentation with no audible artifacts. I can't comment on anything negative at the moment, I would need more time with recordings I know well.

Very interesting presentation from Wendell and Galina.
Thanks to Adrian for the invitation.

Stephen Narayan

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having owned both moderate sized Martin Logan and Magnepan speakers in the past I am very used to their dipole configuration and how it presents the soundstage in my listening room. I was invited to participate in the Magnepan Focus Group session at Audio Excellence in Markham Ontario (Toronto). I found on the first sample Japanese drum recording that there was visceral pressure being registered in my throat while high frequency attack was striking to the point of grabbing my attention when presented those notes. The second drum set track recording had more impact in the lower bass region from the kick drums and I could feel the pressure in my sternum. The soundstage panned right to left with presence and depth in the recording. There was full range sound in both recordings presented by the drum skins and initial bite from the drum strikes, impressive for a woofer system only. Cymbals were also present in the second recording, Wendell lowered to volume to save our hearing
:)

Afterwards the addition of the Martin Logan Electrostatic panels with the UBS woofers with a 500hz approximate crossover point showed a very seamless presentation with no audible artifacts. I can't comment on anything negative at the moment, I would need more time with recordings I know well.

Very interesting presentation from Wendell and Galina.
Thanks to Adrian for the invitation.

Stephen Narayan
Can you identify the drum recording used in the demo?

OP
S

Smik66

If you go to 6:15 timestamp of the video of Thomas and Stereo this is the beginning of the drum track. Shazam cannot find it and no one has posted anywhere yet of what track this is.

Top Bottom