• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan 0.7 Opinions

raindance

Major Contributor
Are Magnepans voiced a certain way by the manufacturer, or is the technology limited to an uneven response?

Obviously the technology has limitations, but they are voiced for sure. The crossover for the old 1.6 it had a bit of a "smiley face" EQ built in because of the way the crossover points were arranged (low pass and high pass sections were quite far apart freq wise). In room at the listening position, 8 feet or more away, they measured relatively flat, though, no doubt due to a combination of dispersion quirks and room support. The new ones seem to be voiced flatter and have less high treble emphasis but tend to have a bigger bass hump (in room).

I loved my 1.6's for around 15 years, the longest I've ever kept a speaker. On recordings they worked with, they were magic. But they didn't work with all recordings and I found that even adding a pair of subs couldn't add the mid and upper bass impact that they lack (because the subs only added sub-bass support)...

The characteristics that seem to be common to magnetic planars are: larger than life imaging, a certain leanness that makes everything sound quick and snappy, a tiny sweet spot, low efficiency, and lack of physical impact. They're also allergic to being close to walls; it makes them very bright sounding.

Hart

I have owned some fairly good speakers and have listened to great speakers including the Wilson XVX with a gazzilion dollars of electronics attached to it and speaker wires larger than a garden hose. Including some kind of box in the middle of the speaker wires which apparently sorts out electrons, sending only the very best ones to the speakers.There is something about the Magnepan sound, when set up correctly, on certain recordings that just sound way beyond their price. For instance "I am the antichrist to you". I have had LS-50's in the same room and they can't do what the .7's do. I think your description in the last paragraph sums it up perfectly.

ninanina

I’ve been tinkering with hifi for over 30 years

I’ve owned many solid state amps, hybrid amps as well as full valve including SET amps

I’ve owned more than 20 different amps both integrated and separates, probably 10+ different cd players as well as 20 odd different speakers

I have only just (in the last 3 years) settled on a system that I won’t be changing…. Ever!

It consists of the following:

Mark Levinson No. 390 CD player
Mark Levinson No. 383 Integrated amp
Magnepan MG.7 Speakers
Magnepan DWM Bass Panel (just added)

I use nice Atlas XLR balanced cables between amp and cd player and good, but not exceptional, speaker cable between amp to DWM and out to the Maggies

It’s nice not to ever think about upgrading and/or messing with the setup as it sounds perfect to me

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have only just (in the last 3 years) settled on a system that I won’t be changing…. Ever!
Very nice system, I agree.
But as to the "won't be changing EVER" comment.
I'm not buying that one. LOL

ninanina

Very nice system, I agree.
But as to the "won't be changing EVER" comment.
I'm not buying that one. LOL
Thanks Sal
I’ve had this current setup for a number of years and it’s the setup that I’ve not touched for the longest time over 30 years of tinkering

I believe it would take 10’s of £1,000’s to better what I already have so I’m extremely happy with what I have right now

I can honestly say that I’m at a position, for the first time, that I wouldn’t change a thing

Well just thinking about it ; ) …. maybe I will upgrade the speaker cable at some point!! Oops

Top Bottom