• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico Ultimate vs Magico M6

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone ever heard both? Which is supposed to be their flagship? Ultimate is more expensive, but those giant horn systems never seem to measure very well. I know Magico uses a Klippel NFS to design their loudspeakers. Would really love to see a Magico measured by Amir to see how they stack up to other SOTA speakers. I have little interest in most uber high end speakers, but Magico and Vivid do seem to both have a solid engineering base.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I listened to the M6 at AXPONA last year. Dan D’Agostino Momentum mono blocks and a pair of 18" Q subs. Hard to judge the sound, it was in a huge open area.

Snoochers

While Magico's cabinet work is rather nice, I've not seen them measure any better than other well designed speakers in the few analyses I've found for them.

Once you hit 3000$ a speaker or whatever from a company that is measurement-focused I doubt you'll be able to find speakers at any price that are more than just a smidge better at best!

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While Magico's cabinet work is rather nice, I've not seen them measure any better than other well designed speakers in the few analyses I've found for them.

They posted a on axis and LW Klippel measurement on facebook that looks pretty good.

IMG_9447.JPG

Maybe not Genelec flat, but definitely about as good as the top passive speakers, like Revel. With they would have shown the rest of the CEA2034, as they obviously have it.

BillG

Major Contributor
They posted a on axis and LW Klippel measurement on facebook that looks pretty good.

Maybe not Genelec flat, but definitely about as good as the top passive speakers, like Revel. With they would have shown the rest of the CEA2034, as they obviously have it.

Based upon frequency response alone, that doesn't look any better to me than a pair $500 Infinity's, and they appear to be treble-shy as well. And what's up with the chewed up response at 100 Hz - 300 Hz?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be easy to presume that but there is the fact that they build their own drivers so they can optimise them exactly for the purpose, their cabinets are made out of thick aluminium, they use high quality components for crossovers without shying of large number of components.

While i'm not saying their price is justified, i am saying that for 3000€ you can't buy speakers that you can correct a little to get that sound. For that kind of money you could probably build it - if you know what you're doing.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the M6 is pretty clearly their flagship. The Ultimate, if it's still in production, appears to be primarily a novelty loudspeaker designed to garner publicity for the company.

EDIT: had not seen the M9. Oops.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 4 way speaker or a 3 way with more optimized driver sizes and/or a waveguide will have a more room agnostic sound. A big midrange and small baffle mounted tweeter is a big compromise.

FeddyLost

At such price point I suppose proper room might be built even around these speakers. So, room-speaker interaction will be controlled anyway. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My local dealer is a Magico dealer.
I have listened to several models, from the stand mount up to S5, I think it was.

They are superb. Expensive but I heard differences on them none of the other speakers showed up as clearly.

Snoochers

It would be easy to presume that but there is the fact that they build their own drivers so they can optimise them exactly for the purpose, their cabinets are made out of thick aluminium, they use high quality components for crossovers without shying of large number of components.

While i'm not saying their price is justified, i am saying that for 3000€ you can't buy speakers that you can correct a little to get that sound. For that kind of money you could probably build it - if you know what you're doing.

You are describing a lot of factors that sound relevant and important, but until the measurements are objectively better than the 3000$ pair I don't think these things matter that much. It is like comparing race cars but saying one is made by hand and has extra special paint. Is it faster? That is all that matters in the context of racing.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you hit 3000$ a speaker or whatever from a company that is measurement-focused I doubt you'll be able to find speakers at any price that are more than just a smidge better at best!

I'd say that's mostly true, excluding super deep bass and super loud spls. You're not getting SOTA measurements and 15Hz at 110dB+ with $3,000.

Zvu

You are describing a lot of factors that sound relevant and important, but until the measurements are objectively better than the 3000$ pair I don't think these things matter that much. It is like comparing race cars but saying one is made by hand and has extra special paint. Is it faster? That is all that matters in the context of racing.

Oh, but they matter.

To make a wooden cabinet as acoustically inert as aluminium cabinet is extremely difficult. There are many speaker driver manufacturers out there but their drivers usually must multitask to adhere to the greater audience. Making your loudspeaker from scratch gives you the opportunity to specialize drivers for intended purpose only. Until someone points to a model of 3000 bucks/pair of factory made loudspeaker that can match in every way to Magico M6 "with a little eq", i think there is not much to say.

There is something that can be done in DIY for that kind of money but only if you know what are you doing.

How much do you think this costs to make ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom