• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This speaker is destined to whoever has and is willing to spend that type of money, audiophile or not.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This speakers is not destined to be sold to the niche hobby called audiophile.
What is the margin made by magico on this coat hanger?
Traditionally distributors received a 60% discount from the manufacturer which was split 20/40 with the retailer ( 40% for the retailer) obviously this varies hugely, pro audio margins are much less generous 20-25% if you are lucky.
I haven’t really stocked high end cables but I imagine the margins are much more handsome.
Keith

kongwee

Major Contributor
This kind of speaker exist for people who can afford maisonette where line array speakers are not an option in super big living room.

807Recordings

Why is it the audiophiles seem to have this need to come into a science based forum with fancy things are then put the discrepancies on the objective measurements (or hide the measurements)? Is there not enough forums for that sort of silliness?

These are 700K for speakers which is the cost of many well designed professional studios with speakers and measuring vastly better. That is objective.

You do not see people who bough the latest A Lange and Sonne going into a digital watch forum and arguing that it keeps more accurate timing then crying you do not get it because it is out of your price range.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How much for the Center Channel for the M9?

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Why is it the audiophiles seem to have this need to come into a science based forum with fancy things are then put the discrepancies on the objective measurements (or hide the measurements)? Is there not enough forums for that sort of silliness?

These are 700K for speakers which is the cost of many well designed professional studios with speakers and measuring vastly better. That is objective.

You do not see people who bough the latest A Lange and Sonne going into a digital watch forum and arguing that it keeps more accurate timing then crying you do not get it because it is out of your price range.
With this speaker you buy a turntable around 100k, cable around 50k, power amp around 1000k...

Last edited:

noiseangel

Magico M2 Step Response
120MagM2fig7.jpg

This is not State Of The Art. If anyone can find the M9 step response please post it. I sincerely hope it isn't as bad as this.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Magico M2 Step Response
120MagM2fig7.jpg

This is not State Of The Art. If anyone can find the M9 step response please post it. I sincerely hope it isn't as bad as this.
You really are hating on Magico in general. Is it argumentum ad Lazarum?

I'm guessing you are after an idealised time-coincident step response, which requires digital signal processing (certain active speakers implement this) or physically offset drivers (less precise off-axis). The graph you've presented is a time-coherent step response, which is absolutely not "as bad as this". You can see no crossover or resonance glitches, diffractions or other odd behaviour, so it's actually a very good example of its type. Atkinson's accompanying text:
In the time domain, the M2's step response (fig.7) indicates that all four drive-units are connected in positive acoustic polarity. The decay of the tweeter's step, which arrives first at the microphone, smoothly blends with the start of the midrange unit's step, the decay of which blends smoothly with the start of the woofers' step. This time-coherent behavior suggests optimal crossover implementation.

Note also that audibility of time-coincident versus time-coherent implementations is hardly settled. Reviews here don't demand the former as a key attribute. In the example you've used, we see around a quarter millisecond delay from tweeter to mid (that's the cycle time for the frequency 4 kHz) if I'm reading it correctly. Are you hearing that?

BobR

It's actually an example of a very clean impulse. Noiseangel is obviously angry. Better use of time is looking at this:

You can auto-translate to English.

noiseangel

Nope not hating on Magico at all. Not angry at all.

Dalfig4.jpg

An almost perfect step response. You can have this for 10k. I would expect something like this for what Magico are asking for their speakers.
I have plenty of speakers that I can post here that have a less than near perfect step response.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Dalfig4.jpg

An almost perfect step response. You can have this for 10k. I would expect something like this for what Magico are asking for their speakers.
I have plenty of speakers that I can post here that have a less than near perfect step response.
You haven't addressed your error. So you ignored the responses, or just didn't understand them?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor

Dalfig4.jpg

Just curious, what speaker is that? Vandersteen? Something active with DSP?

Top Bottom