• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico How to kill a 300,000 sale in the audiophile world

Els

I just watched a 30 minute audiophile docu-info on youtube. The owner, a highly qualified musician and serious technician. His whole premice on speakers is that the box should be solid; He makes speakers boxed in extruded aluminium, crazy expensive with ordinary drivers, his factory is amazing. His top of the line speakers above the 300,000 mark. So far so good, then he is interviewed and he state:
My speakers must be listened to with the tweeter at ear level, that is phisiques.
Is that the best that can be done at this price level? I give up, I'll just buy some headphones.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually the tweeter is the point of reference for speakers. You might notice that is what Amir uses for setting up the Klippel to measure. Most speakers have at least 30 degrees around that point where they'll work fine.

I agree with a solid box being one good method. You can be over the top on anything. $300,000 sounds like too much. Otherwise I'm not sure I see anything to get upset about beyond the price.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I just watched a 30 minute audiophile docu-info on youtube. The owner, a highly qualified musician and serious technician. His whole premice on speakers is that the box should be solid; He makes speakers boxed in extruded aluminium, crazy expensive with ordinary drivers, his factory is amazing. His top of the line speakers above the 300,000 mark. So far so good, then he is interviewed and he state:
My speakers must be listened to with the tweeter at ear level, that is phisiques.
Is that the best that can be done at this price level? I give up, I'll just buy some headphones.

Odd reaction. Too-literal interpretation?

OP
E

Els

Usually the tweeter is the point of reference for speakers. You might notice that is what Amir uses for setting up the Klippel to measure. Most speakers have at least 30 degrees around that point where they'll work fine.

I agree with a solid box being one good method. You can be over the top on anything. $300,000 sounds like too much. Otherwise I'm not sure I see anything to get upset about beyond the price.
Actualy, the price is not upsetting; rich people need to spend their money on things. My point is the realisation of how limited speakers are at any price even when done by seriously competent techniciens with means.

staticV3

Master Contributor
My point is the realisation of how limited speakers are at any price even when done by seriously competent techniciens with means.
This limitation you're talking about is called directivity, or how evenly a speaker radiates sound in all directions.

If this is something you're worried about, because you want a speaker that doesn't demand you to be in a certain optimal spot all the time, then there are a few speakers you could look into:

-Coaxial designs from KEF or Genelec
-In-wall speakers
-omnidirectional speakers, like the Apple Homepod or Bang & Olufsen's offerings

Axo1989

Major Contributor
This limitation you're talking about is called directivity, or how evenly a speaker radiates sound in all directions.

If this is something you're worried about, because you want a speaker that doesn't demand you to be in a certain optimal spot all the time, then there are a few speakers you could look into:

-In-wall speakers

You're right, the OP may be interested in something omnidirectional. Vertical directivity is an interesting one to get hung up on. Maybe a mezzanine listener?

OP
E

Els

-In-wall speakers
Of course the problem is directivity, however omnidirectional speakers have other problems, the best omnies I have heard were the Sonabs. If you are spending big money, you surely want a bit of both; at concerts you don't need to have the violin at ear level.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I understand the OP's ire.
Things are always within a context: You can't drive a sportscar with its door open or expect great performance with not well inflated tires or ...
There are always requirements for best performance.. actually for operation.
Still, $300,000.oo ... for a pair of loudspeakers :rolleyes:

Peace.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sq225917

Major Contributor
300,000 lol. The big magicos are over 900,000...

And none of the drivers are ordinary, beryllium, diamond, spread tow carbon with carbon nanotube loaded resin systems over multilayer foam cores with all in-house designed magnetic structures...

Like em of hate them, every part of every magico is engineered exclusively for them from the ground up, apart from the diamond and beryllium tweeters.

OP
E

Els

300,000 lol. The big magicos are over 900,000...

And none of the drivers are ordinary, beryllium, diamond, spread tow carbon with carbon nanotube loaded resin systems over multilayer foam cores with all in-house designed magnetic structures...

Like em of hate them, every part of every magico is engineered exclusively for them from the ground up, apart from the diamond and beryllium tweeters.
Even if some of the drivers are not ordinary, the results are very ordinary and laughfable at those prices. One man's folly comes to mind.

OP
E

Els

That isn't really analogous. Acoustic instrument radiate sound in different directions at different tonalities.
Exactly. You can move from one row to another, within a reasonable perimeter and the presentation remains the Same.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Exactly. You can move from one row to another, within a reasonable perimeter and the presentation remains the Same.

If we are talking about a concert hall, then presentation does change depending on position. In a chamber performance, perhaps more so. How does "reasonable perimeter" compare in angular terms to the geometry you argue is too restrictive in a domestic listening room? How far are you varying the vertical axis? Also, are you assuming diffuse field conditions impossible in a small room?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to believe we're wringing our hands because Magico has a preferred design axis for listening. Big woop.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Hard to believe we're wringing our hands because Magico has a preferred design axis for listening. Big woop.

Haha, perhaps fainting couches were invented so swooners could enjoy the same sonic presentation?

OP
E

Els

If we are talking about a concert hall, then presentation does change depending on position. In a chamber performance, perhaps more so. How does "reasonable perimeter" compare in angular terms to the geometry you argue is too restrictive in a domestic listening room? Also, are you assuming diffuse field conditions impossible in a small room?
Every thing you mention is correct, but remember, the original post, if you have to sit at an exact level and spot to appreciate the 300,000 or 900,000 dollar speakers as someone posted. NO Sale.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Every thing you mention is correct, but remember, the original post, if you have to sit at an exact level and spot to appreciate the 300,000 or 900,000 dollar speakers as someone posted. NO Sale.
There are a whole lot of other speakers out there to buy. And I bet Magico will eventually get over your crtiticism.

Top Bottom