• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico A5 spinorama (CEA2034)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The July issue of Stereophile also has measurements for the Magico A5, and the anechoic response also starts to roll off at 10 kHz. Normalized lateral response is very wide and even. In room response is very even but the roll off starts even earlier at 5 kHz!

Hopefully it will be published online soon.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The July issue of Stereophile also has measurements for the Magico A5, and the anechoic response also starts to roll off at 10 kHz. Normalized lateral response is very wide and even. In room response is very even but the roll off starts even earlier at 5 kHz!

That’s really good news :).

Hopefully we’ll get to see the M9 as well at some point!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With FR sins of omission (dips, roll-offs) are much less objectionable to me. I think the signature is deliberate to make it inoffensive across a broad range of rooms, especially bad placement in a bad room (e.g. lots of glass, not unheard of with the clientele). And honestly, for 5-6k more than a Revel 328, I'll take this for fuzzy feelings of entering the big boy ultra-high-end club, the machined enclosure and US production.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Okay let me get this straight, I thought the downward tilts was because the majority of rooms had thin fabrics and surfaces that would absorb more high frequencies than low frequencies.
No the downward tilt of most cone and dome speakers happens because their directivity rises with frequency. If a speaker has a flat on axis response and a flat DI then the in room response will be flat. If the on axis is flat and the DI is rising then the in room response will be tilted down.

Remember these traits show in an anechoic measurement where there should be no effect from variable room absorption. The PIR is a mixture of these anechoic measurements but tracks surprisingly well to the behaviour of the speakers in real rooms.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Now online:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-a5-loudspeaker-measurements

621MagA5fig3.jpg

621MagA5fig4.jpg

621MagA5fig6.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Wow $25,000
I wonder how close an 8C or Kii 3 or 8351B with subs would come close to it

HooStat

Wow $25,000
I wonder how close an 8C or Kii 3 or 8351B with subs would come close to it
I wonder how close it comes to an 8c, Kii 3 or 8351b with subs. In fact, for about the same money (because you need amps and dacs for the Magicos), you can get the 8351b + 2xW371a.

To be truthful, I bet they are all pretty awesome and most people would be happy with any of them.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Be aware when making comparisons that the horizontal dispersion is only to 45 degrees.

Valentin R

B49FC419-45B3-4CF9-8B79-EB518D9928C2.png
133E2DF1-2984-4B50-9D66-237A70130BBA.png

It’s tweeter those not fall like a rock @ 7000
It’s 4 dB higher in sensitivity
It has more extensión and wider directivity in the high frecuency
It’s 10000 usd less

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 136492View attachment 136503

It’s tweeter those not fall like a rock @ 7000
It’s 4 dB higher in sensitivity
It has more extensión and wider directivity in the high frecuency
It’s 10000 usd less

Pretty sure the tweeter dropping above 7000Hz is an intentional thing that Magico thinks (maybe they have private data?) is preferable. That said, the F328Be does look better to my eye. Never heard the Magico though. Would love to.

Valentin R

Pretty sure the tweeter dropping above 7000Hz is an intentional thing that Magico thinks (maybe they have private data?) is preferable. That said, the F328Be does look better to my eye. Never heard the Magico though. Would love to.

It might’ve but it could be like Audioquest privet data

BobR

This is how a true pistonic dome behaves. It's physics. If you see a 1" dome extend at full efficiency above10K, it mainly contained rubbish.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
With 3 x 9 inch bass drivers, is the bass extension disappointing?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is how a true pistonic dome behaves. It's physics. If you see a 1" dome extend at full efficiency above10K, it mainly contained rubbish.
Welcome to ASR. Any sources to that statement? Because we see many 1" domes extending above 20 kHz and breaking up only afterwards.

BobR

Welcome to ASR. Any sources to that statement? Because we see many 1" domes extending above 20 kHz and breaking up only afterwards.
Yes, but they are not pistonic. The level of stiffness will be a factor of extension. The more pistonic, the more accurate the output is. Just think about the phase degree shift between two extreme points, one on the peak and one on the edge, of a pistonic cone generating the exact same frq.
If a dome is 6.5mm high, 90 degrees phase shift will occur at 13 kHz, 180 degrees on 26 kHz. Here is a link to how even a more pistonic cone will behave: https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/diamant/Diamant-Technologie

Valentin R

Yes, but they are not pistonic. The level of stiffness will be a factor of extension. The more pistonic, the more accurate the output is. Just think about the phase degree shift between two extreme points, one on the peak and one on the edge, of a pistonic cone generating the exact same frq.
If a dome is 6.5mm high, 90 degrees phase shift will occur at 13 kHz, 180 degrees on 26 kHz. Here is a link to how even a more pistonic cone will behave: https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/diamant/Diamant-Technologie
Seems your example does not fall like a rock @ 7k

BobR

From JA review as well:
"As with the Magico M2 that I reviewed in February 2020 and JCA reviewed in March 2021, the use of a pistonic tweeter with a high-Q ultrasonic dome response results in a lack of energy in the region below that resonance."

Top Bottom