• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magic Eyes?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've seen pictures of these on vintage audio equipment, but I've never encountered one in real life.

They sure look cool. But how do the work? What are they used for? How are they superior to normal analog dials? Or are they?

By the late 1960s they seem to mostly disappear...why did they fall out of favor?

Zenith12S471Dial.jpg

N9MS_tuningEye.jpg

07f92b8cc975b6cae7eaa56264c613a8.jpg

radioeye.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Eico 147a .jpg

Though not a picture of mine, I have one exactly like it. Still works perfectly. Inject and then trace a signal. The eye is almost fully open and then the two sides illuminate toward each other until full illumination around the eye with a strong signal. I have had tuners with them, and other gear. Very neat, and actually cooler looking than in the pics.

Vacuum tube of course a triode which is inside this tube. Decent explanation a video here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eye_tube

The strip type indicators were nice too, but not as neat as the eye imo.

Here is a video showing a real one and they then make a simulation with spinning leds.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
View attachment 5611

Though not a picture of mine, I have one exactly like it. Still works perfectly. Inject and then trace a signal. The eye is almost fully open and then the two sides illuminate toward each other until full illumination around the eye with a strong signal. I have had tuners with them, and other gear. Very neat, and actually cooler looking than in the pics.

Vacuum tube of course a triode which is inside this tube. Decent explanation a video here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eye_tube

The strip type indicators were nice too, but not as neat as the eye imo.

Here is a video showing a real one and they then make a simulation with spinning leds.

Wow...his modern LED creation actually looked more "old timey" than the original.

Amazingly clever electro-mechanical combo. That guy is McGuyver.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've seen pictures of these on vintage audio equipment, but I've never encountered one in real life.
LOL, Youngster. ;)
I owned a bunch of gear back in the day with magic eye tuning tubes.
They were just SO KOOL

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have tubes like that on one of my preamplifiers [tubes placed in an up-down position].

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
PLLs lock right to the FM pilot and obviated most of the fine tuning required. Then we got all the digital tuners using DLLs so even less required. Plus they added cost. Heck, it's hard to find a tuning meter on a receiver these days, let alone a Magic Eye.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
PLLs lock right to the FM pilot and obviated most of the fine tuning required. Then we got all the digital tuners using DLLs so even less required. Plus they added cost. Heck, it's hard to find a tuning meter on a receiver these days, let alone a Magic Eye.
Sometimes in the march towards simplicity or making things "idiot proof" we lose that sense of involvement that the older gear had. I loved my Mitsubishi DA-F20 FM tuner for the kool little extras it had. One of the very first (affordable) tuners with a digital frequency readout it also included the analog dial. Plus it had a 3 led tuning indicator,stereo light, and led signal strength indicators. Great tuner over all and "fun" to see and use. Designed for the enthusiast, ($430 in 1978 dollars) also having bandwidth switching for best FR when appropriate, manual mono switching, squelch switching. and record level tone. One of the all time great FM tuners.
I feel the same way about my vehicles, stick shift only for me, it's just part of the driving experience.
Mitsu DA-F20.jpeg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I like my old Yamaha T-1 but it's in storage...

I thought I would drive sticks forever, but trying to deal with kids and traffic led to automatics and I haven't gone back.

I miss the oscilloscope some of those old receivers had...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My only-has-a-couple-of-chips-in-it HD Tuner has a little orange HD light that is mightily impressive when it comes on.

I like that it outputs digits for further processing downstream, which took me a while to figure out how or why, when first listening to an analog broadcast, and not knowing whether it would or not.

It's also my main streaming solution. Plays stuff I don't have when I want that, and bonus, the playlists are professionally curated. I find I'm a lousy DJ when I have to pick things to play from a source with billions and billions of choices.

auvio_inside.jpg

See? Nothing there.

No static at all.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's also my main streaming solution. Plays stuff I don't have when I want that, and bonus, the playlists are professionally curated. I find I'm a lousy DJ when I have to pick things to play from a source with billions and billions of choices.

Oh, that's what the celebrity streaming playlists are for!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
At least this little guy (TEAC PD-301) crams a CD player into the spare space:

Well for 8 times more you should get some little extra...

No HD tuner though, that I can see in the specs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At least this little guy (TEAC PD-301) crams a CD player into the spare space:

1449671.jpg
Slot loaders always looked like a guaranteed way to scratch up your disc's to me.

Top Bottom