• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mag-lev isolation

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Make your own, only five bucks: http://barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Good enough for me.
* I am actually using squash balls cut in half under my audio components. I need two squash balls per component: on sale only $1/each.
But the link just above is probably working better, and better probably too than magnetic suspension like from that $990 acrylic one from eBay.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's a good scientific audio subject Mike; good you started this thread. :cool:
That would be ugly as sin but should do the job and be programmable to boot with the amount of air you put in the inner tube!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A magnet is a spring ,so unless you damp it...
Sorbathane, visco elastic, or rolling air diaphragms are far more efficient.

Keith

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Amir, you can make it attractive to suit your decorative taste.
- Put something nice to block the view of the inner tube.
- Buy nice looking wood slabs, make your own, pain them, piano lustre, etc.
- Nice looking egg holders, but it not need to be...shop around for well designed small cups with high level of attractiveness.
- Marbles, steel ones, silver ones, tiger eyes, ...they come in all flavors and beauty.

You don't have to stick with ugliness for only five bucks; follow the same directives but with an accent on very sweet decor friendly looks incorporated with the rest of your rig, even if it costs twenty bucks. Be inventive, imaginative, creative...reach to the bargain stores for your material.

Say you spend $100 for your own home-made isolation platform that you put under your $10,000 turntable and that you improve your sound quality radically.
And another one for your CD transport.

Here's one thing we never talk about: We look @ a state-of-the-art analog rig with gorgeous loudspeakers and amps, etc.
But we don't talk about not looking and just listening to the music; because the high level of attraction in high end audio is the good looks of the room with the gear.
The nicest looking home theater rooms are the ones with invisibility of all the audio/video gear and speakers. Only the room remains highly inviting and pleasing.

An ultra high-end stereo only setup we see everything, even the boa constrictors (speaker wires):

ColossusSM1000PowerCable.jpg
ColossusSM3000PowerCord.jpg

But it's the music flow that truly captivates the human spirit and emotions, and not the impressive looking gear.
Some high end rooms they have all the gear on a side wall, only the speakers with green plants and a nice painting are on stage...up front.
The two mono amps can be on the floor, that's fine.

* The first pic above is a power cable, the second a power cord. ...Roughly 27 pounds a foot.
Anyway, it's good to have your turntable and CD transport away from your speakers...they don't have to be in the middle between them;
we can break free from conventional audio habits and advance in music to our ears where it counts more than our eyes.

I say all this only to emphasize quality sound over quality looks. Get the sound first, inner tube, then make it attractive second. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible to damp magnetic suspension with coils within the field connected to a resistive load. That you don't see them doing that means they are relying on its cool appearance and people not thinking this through. Doing so might also make the load being unstable depending on how it is done.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Good video on damping of horizontal vibration.

tuned colored liquid would look cool on a component tower.

Last edited:

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
http://arcturus.ligo.caltech.edu/docs/public/P/P020028-00.pdf

Lots of ideas from how they do vibration decoupling on those gravity wave detection systems.

Wow that's some stuff there, thanks mate.

After reading some of that I now know why my system ALWAYS sounds a bit blurred, its due to micro movements! I have tried to get rid of some of those and now a view as been lifted off of my system. I did not hear these effects until a science paper like this was revealed to me and now I hear these effects. I can still hear the effects of quantum level vibrations though.

That's a joke folks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well there is this problem. If you did have a well isolated system, how can you ever isolate it from gravity waves. And do we perceive them or would we be distorted in a way that we are transparent to it.

Or in other words should I work on the BS marketing needed to enrichen myself with products using gravity wave experimental isolation methods and eventually promise to dampen the effects of gravity waves themselves as no one currently offers anything for that. Should my company name be Schiitergystic research?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A magnet is a spring ,so unless you damp it...
Sorbathane, visco elastic, or rolling air diaphragms are far more efficient.

Keith

Make your own, only five bucks: http://barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Good enough for me.
* I am actually using squash balls cut in half under my audio components. I need two squash balls per component: on sale only $1/each.
But the link just above is probably working better, and better probably too than magnetic suspension like from that $990 acrylic one from eBay.

I'd like to see some measurements of the isolation provided by the magnetic support compared to Sorbathane balls or a air floating system. I have a feeling the magnetic system might transmit more energy than the other two?
I used AQ Sorbathane ball footers under my VTL tube monoblocks and my HK ST8 turntable came from the factory with almost identical "rubber?" ball footers. Seemed to work well to damp the amps.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

LOL, I love the poetic descriptions of the sound from each different isolation approaches.
Character: Exceptionally fast, open quality with very good dynamics.
Character: The MkIII is a bit warmer, the MkIV more extended.
Character: Can smooth peaks in a bright or edgy system though some feel the sound is over damped.
Character: Expect the speed, focus and detail found in similar ball bearing devices.
Character: Enhanced leading edge transient definition.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Time for some definitive measurements and experimentation with vibrations, I think.

It you borrow some toys from the ladies to be the additional vibrational sources, it will spice up the pictorial a bit.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Wow, the picture of the year! ...What a lovely touch of the heart; thank you for sharing Mike.
I am blown away, all my problems simply vanished, disintegrated, pouf, in a cloud of sweet white dream. :cool:
That's levitating.

Top Bottom