• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Madonna is seriously underrated in the audio community.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean the level of production on her albums is superb, there is such finesse to her music that you cannot deny even if she is not your cup of tea.

Vogue is still to this day considered an excellent track to test out your stereo image because of the amount of moving elements the song contains.

And the best part of it all, that since her music is (or used to be depending on the generation you’re talking to) mainstream, playing any of here popular tracks is an instant flex of your audio gear lol.

I heard many friends saying that her songs are just on a completely different level on decent gear, with one friend actually asking me if it is the original track i’m playing or a remix.

What are your opinions?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I would agree with that... and there are even 2 (maybe 3) of her songs that I can actually enjoy if I'm in the right mood.

The same could be said for Michael Jackson... although I have never heard a song by him that didn't make me want to vomit... it certainly had nothing whatsoever to do with the production quality - which was always superb IMO. ;)

raif71

Major Contributor
I like her songs. In my teens listening to Like a Virgin, Holiday etc but imho her music took a turn after the Crazy for You song. Then her album True Blue got out which imo brought her to another level.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I bought the Immaculate Collection recently.

Because it has Q-Sound and I wanted to see what they did with it.

I may listen to it again.

Someday.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Immaculate Collection recently.

Because it has Q-Sound and I wanted to see what they did with it.

I may listen to it again.

Someday.

Just play Vogue and you will perfectly understand what i’m talking about. These mono radio stations in the 90s did not do it justice at all.

it really makes a system sing.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean the level of production on her albums is superb, there is such finesse to her music that you cannot deny even if she is not your cup of tea.

Vogue is still to this day considered an excellent track to test out your stereo image because of the amount of moving elements the song contains.

And the best part of it all, that since her music is (or used to be depending on the generation you’re talking to) mainstream, playing any of here popular tracks is an instant flex of your audio gear lol.

I heard many friends saying that her songs are just on a completely different level on decent gear, with one friend actually asking me if it is the original track i’m playing or a remix.

What are your opinions?

I agree, at least to a degree.

For me the real Madonna gem is her Ray of Light album. The music is more mature than her earlier pop stuff (some of which I really like, don't get me wrong), and it incorporates some musically and sonically great '90s trip-hop/electronica production. Unfortunately it's dynamically compressed, but I don't find it fatiguing because the relatively clean, sparse electronic sound of that type of music is IMHO much easier on the ears even when it's not super dynamic (not to mention the low DR Meter ratings are in part produced by the heavy bass of that style in the first place - heavy bass can lower DR readings regardless of any compression).

In a different vein, the original CDs/mastering of her earlier work is quite dynamic and some of itdoes indeed sound quite good. I'm not quite enough of a fan to own The Immaculate Collection, but I do enjoy many songs from it.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes!
The album I know is Ray Of Light - and all the remix singles.
I didn't like Madonna, the pop songs, just the attitude...(And there was that film with her in it...)
Then one night, driving, I heard something that was like Woww...turned out to be the Sasha extended remix of one of the songs on Ray Of Light. And the production was by William Orbit...so I found his Strange Cargo CDs, same production, same sound...and his compilation of classical edits.

William Orbit - Wikipedia

William Mark Wainwright, known professionally as William Orbit, is an English musician and record producer who has sold 200 million recordings worldwide of his own work, his production and songwriting work. He is a recipient of multiple Grammy Awards, Ivor Novello Awards and other music industry awards. Wikipedia
Born: 15 December 1956 (age 63 years), Shoreditch, London, United Kingdom
Genres: Electronica, Trip hop, Ambient music, Trance music, House music, Downtempo, Intelligent dance music, Pop music, Orchestra

Last edited:

Objectivist01

What are your opinions?
Listen to her last 2 or 3 !albums and they sound like shit

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never thought much about her music (as in not on my radar). Will give some of the suggestions a try....

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen to her last 2 or 3 !albums and they sound like shit

I wouldn't call any of her albums 'shit', they're generally very well produced. it's either your cup of tea or not.

Confessions on a Dance floor is critically acclaimed and was a worldwide hit.

MDNA was underwhelming, definitely not her best.

Madame X is her uninhibited work because she's 60+ years old now and doesn't give about what anyone thinks.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, at least to a degree.

For me the real Madonna gem is her Ray of Light album. The music is more mature than her earlier pop stuff (some of which I really like, don't get me wrong), and it incorporates some musically and sonically great '90s trip-hop/electronica production. Unfortunately it's dynamically compressed, but I don't find it fatiguing because the relatively clean, sparse electronic sound of that type of music is IMHO much easier on the ears even when it's not super dynamic (not to mention the low DR Meter ratings are in part produced by the heavy bass of that style in the first place - heavy bass can lower DR readings regardless of any compression).

In a different vein, the original CDs/mastering of her earlier work is quite dynamic and some of does indeed sound quite good. I'm not quite enough of a fan to own The Immaculate Collection, but I do enjoy many songs from it.

That album is honestly a miracle because she produced it at a new studio (i guess to easily bully people around and execute her vision like she wanted), the equipment constantly broke down and she personally thought the album wouldn't make it lol.

Katji

Major Contributor
...And that's how I got into electronic / electronic dance. :)

Try the Strange Cargo CDs. ...That same production sound - clear, spacious...\ If you have Tidal or something. Youtube will spoil it.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

I agree. But like you say, she's not my cup of tea.

An artist can have the best musicians, producers and audio engineers in the world working for them, but it doesn't matter one bit if I don't like the music. For example, Hansi Hinterseer probably makes some really technically solid stuff, but I'd rather lick a red hot fire iron than listen to any of it.

D

Deleted member 19195

If you are talking about production, maybe. I always found her music rather overrated actually.

As for her talent level, she is not a good singer or dancer in my opinion. She was always good at drawing attention though.

Top Bottom