• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Made in China = 20% Price 80% Quality? R&M of Accurate D1000 R2R DAC

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Today, I received an Accurate Audio Studio D1000 R2R DAC from a friend.

This is a huge and heavy unit (heavier than 555B!)In fact, the manufacturer claims it is an exact replica of the Rockna WAVEDREAM DAC.

This is actually a bit confusing what to say. Because Made in China's reputation for intellectual property protection is really not good enough. Although China's reputation in intellectual property has improved in recent years, but this product ...

Regardless, I remember the price of WAVEDREAM DAC is as high as $ 5,300, and my friend bought this unit for almost $ 1,000.

20% price What about quality?

Let's look at things first.

Photo.jpg

Rear.jpg

You can see that the quality of the shell is OK, not as good as the original, but it is good enough.

As for performance?

We know the original claim:

OUTPUTS (Wavedream Edition)
THD + N (at-6dB): 0.003% or -90 dB

As usual, the stage was handed over to APx555B

Dashboard:

Dashboard.jpg

Anyway, at least it achieves "similar performance"

Dynamic-Range---AES17.jpg

Linearity-(-20.jpg

THD+N-Ratio.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

Multitone.jpg

J-Test.jpg

So ... 20% of the price, 80% of the quality. I do n’t think I agree with the values. But they did.

Veri

Master Contributor
That's.. intriguing :) thanks for measuring and sharing @WolfX-700

SuberBestAudioFriends liked the Rockna DAC a lot. In reality it is typical 16-bit R2R performance, 96dB SINAD absolute best case..
which it doesn't quite manage to reach. looks like nothing is truly broken though, better than Audio-GD :D

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That's.. intriguing :) thanks for measuring and sharing @WolfX-700

SuberBestAudioFriends liked the Rockna DAC a lot. In reality it is typical 16-bit R2R performance, 96dB SINAD absolute best case..
which it doesn't quite manage to reach. looks like nothing is truly broken though, better than Audio-GD :D

For a R2R ( step ladder ?? ), I think its a fair showing, nothing near Holo's products but ya, at least its not broken. And still better than stuff like the Airist.

ESS: Have a hump

Accurate D1000 R2R DAC: Hold my beer

LOL ..... :D:D:D

Veri

Master Contributor
For a R2R ( step ladder ?? ), I think its a fair showing, nothing near Holo's products but ya, at least its not broken. And still better than stuff like the Airist.

Well I'd hope it would be better than Airist, this thing still costs $1000, bootleg or not. For less than that you can have an excellent true 16-bit accurate ladder like a TDA1541A or AD1865 the likes @WolfX-700 measured in the past. For $1000 this thing would be a hard pass from me unless you really want some 15kg decorative DAC to impression your friends, haha.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit I kind of object to the EBay sellers advertising knock off Accuphase, Quad, Krell etc. I can accept a home DIY project to copy a design for personal use and as a project (even if it still violates IP) but commercially selling knock offs is too far. Especially when you have no idea of the provenance of a product, the components, build quality and when in many cases they're not even that cheap. And it is not just China, you see similar audio knocks offs advertised as copies of desirable products being made in Europe too.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Last edited:

MattyW

Got one of these recently. Sounds fantastic to me though seems to run rather hot. Was your sample quite warm to touch?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit I kind of object to the EBay sellers advertising knock off Accuphase, Quad, Krell etc. I can accept a home DIY project to copy a design for personal use and as a project (even if it still violates IP) but commercially selling knock offs is too far. Especially when you have no idea of the provenance of a product, the components, build quality and when in many cases they're not even that cheap. And it is not just China, you see similar audio knocks offs advertised as copies of desirable products being made in Europe too.
I agree, with possible extenuating circumstances for things well out of production.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today, I received an Accurate Audio Studio D1000 R2R DAC from a friend.
Thanks for sharing your measurements, my dude. It is very much appreciated. :cool:

MattyW

Ok, so long as it has room to breathe on each side of it (left and right) it reaches it's normal operating temperature and simply stays at it. It's warm but not hot. In terms of sonics its the best I've ever run. Sound is in a way very reminiscent of listening to an LP except with superior resolution and frequency extension, not to mention lower noise floor. Very happy with my purchase. It was a bit of a gamble seeing as about the only available information was your measurements but the gamble paid off :)

Top Bottom