• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Macro Photos of Record Grooves

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@ray_parkhurst , did you ever see the stylus tracking pattern along a groove? Like two tyre lines?

S20160813_048.jpg

OP
ray_parkhurst

ray_parkhurst

@ray_parkhurst , did you ever see the stylus tracking pattern along a groove? Like two tyre lines?

Even brand new record grooves have such lines, so I am not convinced they are due to stylus wear. More likely they are artifacts of the manufacturing process, though I could be wrong. I'm still working on a database of sorts to understand what grooves really look like.

egellings

Major Contributor
I called this "wear" since it only occurs on the leading edges of amplitude peaks. Not sure why a pressing flaw would only happen there, but I am not sure. This was the worst patch I found, and it does go to the bottom of the groove, but many other smaller ones are more localized. Here's a 2D view of another section showing several of these in a row, all on leading edges:

View attachment 287912
Agree. What gets me is how a mechanical medium like that can sound as good as it does with decent playback equipment.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even brand new record grooves have such lines, so I am not convinced they are due to stylus wear. More likely they are artifacts of the manufacturing process, though I could be wrong. I'm still working on a database of sorts to understand what grooves really look like.
Hm - strange that new record grooves would have it. Cutters should not make them. So what can it be?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’ve seen your excellent pictures but it is difficiult to say IMO if these are completely flat with cutting sharp edges. Polishing in a modulated groove must include different angles and variying contact patch area as opposed to a stationary unmodulated groove. I can’t see it happening unless someone left it running in the runout groove.

I can now say for sure, having viewed maybe 50 or so random old styli from my scavenged cart/stylus boxes of various vintages and usage in the last week, that the wear does indeed present itself as very obvious flat areas with very sharp edges to the flat spots. It is trivial to see uneven wear caused by faulty/incorrect antiskate (more common than I would have expected).

I have been using my various optical scopes, with movable/fixed lateral slightly elevated diffuse lights. There is no need to go esoteric or lash out on a SEK-2, x150 to x200 on my trusty Olympus scope shows all the detail I will ever need.

I have some wonderfully worn, new and lightly used identical AT conical styli which demonstrate the textbook perfect Shure 'cat's eyes' in various stages right up to an almost flat screwdriver type heavily worn profile when viewed from directly above. Once seen, it cannot be unseen and it's much better to skip the cat's eye reflection and view directly with diffuse light, the flat wear surfaces themselves. What is also clear, is many of the salvaged styli and carts I pulled of stripped tables over the decades were in perfect condition. Others were heavily worn. Age had nothing to do with it. A V15 III original supertrack plus stylus from the mid 1970s appears unused with not even a tiny patch of wear.

As I don't really care for preserving my various test records, I think I'll try say 6 or 8 identical, but variably worn AT conicals ('cos I have a pile of them) for distortion, starting with the NOS styli and working back to the worst worn to see how bad THD becomes.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
It's amazing this system works as well as it does.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Utterly fascinating thread.

Thank you for such efforts!

Top Bottom