• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

macOS sound source help

Kalupaw2

Hi,

My setup is Sennheiser 660s, Topping A30pro, D10B.

I want to EQ my setup on mac. Is there somewhere that I can test if EQing will make a difference? I don't want to commit $100 to soundsource and plugins before I know that its worth it.

Thanks,

Peacemaker

I initially misread the title and thought it said IQ Test and thought aw-oh, I didn't study! Good luck getting the answers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

My setup is Sennheiser 660s, Topping A30pro, D10B.

I want to EQ my setup on mac. Is there somewhere that I can test if EQing will make a difference? I don't want to commit $100 to soundsource and plugins before I know that its worth it.

Thanks,
Install the SoundSource demo version and test drive it on your system. Why is it $100.00? If you have no EQ/PEQ now the difference will be substantially better.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I initially misread the title and thought it said IQ Test and thought aw-oh, I didn't study!

Me too :D

Was going to say Equalizer APO, but that's only for Windows, so I'm gonna pass the torch to the MAC people.

OP
K

Kalupaw2

Install the SoundSource demo version and test drive it on your system. Why is it $100.00? If you have no EQ/PEQ now the difference will be substantially better.
Hmm ok. The demo version says it uses lower audio quality until you purchase.

It’s around $100 for both sound source and a plug-in.

Im struggling with this as there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to setup eq.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would still test drive it... So you can see what it does for your system. :D

OP
K

Kalupaw2

I would still test drive it... So you can see what it does for your system. :D
I did and there was no audible difference. I don’t know if that is because the demo doesn’t support eq or the lower quality.

The whole thing is very vague and mildly frustrating lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did and there was no audible difference. I don’t know if that is because the demo doesn’t support eq or the lower quality.

The whole thing is very vague and mildly frustrating lol
Hmmz something is amiss. There should be a huge difference in sound. The web page indicates a 20 minute test time. Did you exceed the 20 minute test/launch time?
Screenshot 2022-01-01 184612.png

OP
K

Kalupaw2

Hmmz something is amiss. There should be a huge difference in sound. The web page indicates a 20 minute test time. Did you exceed the 20 minute test/launch time?
View attachment 176061
Potentially, as I was loading a preset.

Do you use this app? Would be very helpful if I could message you a couple questions if so :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Potentially, as I was loading a preset.

Do you use this app? Would be very helpful if I could message you a couple questions if so :)
I am on Win10 so I can't demo the Mac stuff and I have not installed it ever. I just maintain the EQ list. I suggest you change the title of this thread to something more SoundStream oriented and state your case and peeps will probably help you better.

OP
K

Kalupaw2

I am on Win10 so I can't demo the Mac stuff and I have not installed it ever. I just maintain the EQ list. I suggest you change the title of this thread to something more SoundStream oriented and state your case and peeps will probably help you better.
No worries. My question now if anyone else can answer is.. if I’m using sound source, do I need to install plug-ins as well? Or can the software be used to eq directly?

Struggling to find any clear answers online

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No worries. My question now if anyone else can answer is.. if I’m using sound source, do I need to install plug-ins as well? Or can the software be used to eq directly?

Struggling to find any clear answers online
Sound Source does have EQ profiles built in under Headphone EQ for 660s. You can download plugins, and they'll show up in sound source under Add Effects.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Stick " SoundSource EQ/PEQ " in the title to clarify the info better. Hehehe... Not soundstream. :D

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 8.57.35 PM.png

@Kalupaw2 Illustrated via screenshot as to what you should be looking for.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What plug in do you use?
I use Wave's Q10 PEQ plugin, which allows me to set the PEQ to my liking. Sound Source has a built-in headphone EQ as well if you do not want to pay for a separate plugin.
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 9.03.31 PM.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There should be more than enough AU plug-ins there by default to do some decent EQ’ing. No need to buy any to have a decent start.

Tried EQMac once, I didn’t like it at all. Mainly the ui was crap and I think it crashed a lot. SoundSource has been rock solid.

Top Bottom